+++ Hidden Hands of the Emperor +++

Valaas

Indeed.

Since the Pledge finished, I repurposed my 5 assault squad as 5 tacticals, and additionally, I did another unit of 10 tacticals. I'll get some pics up later this week.

I also bought for myself today....(drumroll please)....A REDEMPTOR DREADNOUGHT, YEAH BABY!  That model is BALLER!

Not sure if this is something that everyone could agree on or not, and I don't want to take away from everyone's achievements, but I feel a tremendous amount of pride at this event and its success. 

As a long time poster/member of this sub-forum, and as someone who didn't participate in the event itself (mainly due to the fact that I didn't want to commit models/builds to a brand new codex where I was unsure of how I was going to change my units). When I see these wonderful banners, I wish I could add a "lite" version of the banner to my signature, not to brag or steal any ones glory, but to wear with pride so that when I post in other areas of this forum, people will see it and be directed to this thread for inspiration and recruitment!

Basically just some form of banner (Either a trimmed/cropped of the current one, or an "unlit" version) that is a hyperlink to this thread, to ultimately drive traffic here and showoff all the great work that was put in.

Also maybe something in the OP about when we will conduct the next incarnation of the event (hint hint, nudge nudge :wink: )

Just a thought!

Argh... :cuss eaten posts...

So, who still has a massive pile of shame that needs dealing with?  I still have almost 2 sets of Power Armoured marines from Burning of Prospero to even start building, let alone painting.  However, after the Talon's reach and HHotE, I kinda don't really want to paint anything anymore, for a while at least.  

Any other ideas on what we can do for fun/giggles/honour?

Edited by Damo1701

Argh... :censored: eaten posts...

So, who still has a massive pile of shame that needs dealing with?  I still have almost 2 sets of Power Armoured marines from Burning of Prospero to even start building, let alone painting.  However, after the Talon's reach and HHotE, I kinda don't really want to paint anything anymore, for a while at least.  

I've put down the brush for a bit and have picked up my sprues glues and clippers to get the next load made up ready for painting.

I also have the Manta project ongoing.....to give me a break from painting black...

That and my much ignored Imperial Agent on SWTOR, has a whole expansion to catch up on.....and the Inquisitor Martry Alpha test

Not me.  Not having a backlog feels gooooooooooood. So good, in fact, it motivated me to keep going.

Last week I bought another box of 10 Tacs and did them up real quick.  This week I'm doing 5 assault marines at work and a Redemptor Dreadnought at home.  I can't wait to show off the Redemptor Dread, because a lot of the criticism of that model has been it's clunky look and derpy pose, but that model is VERY posable, and my dude is pretty dynamic.

We've had painting stuff for two events. As something different I'd propose either a conversion event (characters, vehicles, whatever) or, with Armies on Parade on the horizon, a diorama/AoP focus.

I've been following this with interest but haven't tipped my toes in the water, between moving, bike racing season, etc. I'm full up. But I have:

• couple paint scheme test marines
  • 5-man Sternguard (the metal casts)
  • 5-man Vanguard Veterans (trying to get some Plasma pistols for these guys)
  • 10 scouts (shotguns/bolters and BP+CCW)
  • old school Command Squad
  • Edryc Setorax (count-as Shrike)

I haven't played since the beginning of 5th edition and I've prepped and primed all this but haven't had the will to start painting yet.

While I think showing off skills is great, and can be a great source of motivation, there is something to be said for these events being a great motivator to get to a point of completion

Maybe we could have a 2 phase event, where the first phase is a convert/prep/build, and then the same event could transition into a phase 2 that is a prime/paint/finish portion.

If we were to do another sig banner as a reward, have the graphical nature of it be 2-tiered, so that it can reflect if you did one phase (or the other) or both (I'm thinking something similiar to the laurel that was used for this event to indicate the Race Bannon challenge, maybe a color filter or frame to indicate the phase vowed). If we can make it a "make it your own" type of event, where someone can choose to participate in either phase or both, I think we would see more diversity and higher participation.

That being said, I do realize that is a long period of uptime for the thread which means an increased burden in thread maintenance by the OP, which may prove prohibitive. 

At least that's my 2 cents.

I could get on board with a build/convert/kit bash event, but, having a painting element so soon might burn people out.

I know there were times during HHotE that I was starting to feel both the pressure and burn out looming. I can't speak for everybody of course.

Maybe have a building thread, rather than an official event, as it were, then, in the new year, we can have something similar to HHotE, where we have all been active in getting prepared for the next event, but, we have decent time to recharge and figure out/purchase what we are planning on completing.

Just an idea from my personal perspective.

I could get on board with a build/convert/kit bash event, but, having a painting element so soon might burn people out.

I'll politely disagree with you on the painting part. If it's a build/convert/kit bash event for a single model I don't think painting that single model is going to be as big a deal as this event was. Doing up an HQ and painting it is a lot less work than painting up a 5 man unit (or the same work if you put a LOT of extra effort into it).

That was sort of the thought behind my two-phase idea. HHotE was announced/thread created on May 15th, Vowing started a month later on June 15th, and the event wrapped up 3 Months later on September 15th. If we mirrored the same style or something similiar, we would have a timeline of something like 6 months. 1 Month wind up (Say Pledges start Oct 15th, Conversion deadline is three months, so January 15th, then say from something like December 15th to January 15th there would be a secondary paint-pledge period, and then that would run from January 15th to April 15th). We could probably trim a month off the conversion portion realistically as well, but I kind of like how it lines up around the holidays so people could vow their new holiday purchase/gifts as well.

Ultimately from the timeline above, you could see, (if you had just participated in HHotE), that you wouldn't be painting any more Raven Guard black until January, which I think gives enough time to stem from burnout? I dunno, I didn't participate in HHotE, just Talon's Reach, so I am chomping at the bit, and probably more than a bit biased :wink:

edit: Side note: I don't know about everyone else, but I find myself way more pliable to the concept of painting when its cold/dreary/snowy outside then in the Spring/Summer as well.

Edited by ltvyper

WHICH is really up to the participant how much effort they want to put into the event.  1 HQ model seems "easy" relative to a 5-man unit.  If I were to put serious effort into that HQ model, then you darn tootin' I'll want to pint it well.

For my part, I would want to see some strict control over a conversion challenge.  The last two events were fairly relaxed about pictures and before/after entries.  For something like this, I would like to see entries that have another level of dedication to detail.

* No before picture = no entry

* Maybe more than one "in-progress" shot?

* No completion pic = not completed

In other words, it's not enough to "say" it was finished with a promise the pic is coming (which I've done).  Time to prove it was completed when you say it is so :lol:

Conversion work is not a matter of convenience, but a matter of dedication.

Am I being too strict with my idea?