Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How will the Sons of Sanguinius react to Primaris Astartes

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,344 posts

For someone new to the 40k fluff, what's a good book to start with, particularly one that focuses on Blood Angels?  (And also not too long cuz I have little fortitude for reading novels)

The Book of Blood from GW, great graphic novel and a BA classic.

Trial by Blood, a collection of Andy Smillies Flesh Tearer stuff.

Dante, I am unsure of. It seems chock full of typos, which is what I feared. There's a bit where Dante and his bodyguard catch a ride in a Stormhawk. Haley clearly means Stormraven (and he changes it to stormraven later), but I like the image of 6 guys trying to cram themselves into a single seat fighter.

Edited by Xenith, 19 May 2017 - 06:50 PM.

• sfPanzer likes this

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

durdle-durdle

durdle-durdle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 427 posts

I don't want to replace the blood angels i just bought a couple months ago with new marines that will come out over the next years.

Then don't. The only one that would be putting pressure on you to toss all your marines is yourself.

Ever used a tactical marine as a sternguard? A death co model as an assault marine?

IF the current scale marine box moulds die, and IF GW decides not to make a new one, and IF they decide to rescale ALL of the HH plastics and resin, then you still won't have to replace your existing marines with larger primaris marines. There is literally zero evidence that this will be the case, and lots of evidence that shows they will continue to let you use the models you already own.

Likely end game scenarios:

1: they phase out current scale marine models, new intercessors get renamed as tactical marines. You use your bolter armed current marines as bolter armed marines that have received primaris upgrade.

2: they do away with tactical squad designation, and rename them as intercessors. You use your bolter armed marines as intercessors.

Think about it. When GW rescaled bases, did they tell you you had to throw away your old marines on 25mm bases, or did they tell you to do what you want?

I mean, you are right. The thing is though, it would look really weird to have half my army much taller than the other half. I know they can be used as either really, but I really dislike the idea of a multiple height aesthetic.

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,136 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders

For someone new to the 40k fluff, what's a good book to start with, particularly one that focuses on Blood Angels? (And also not too long cuz I have little fortitude for reading novels)

The Book of Blood from GW, great graphic novel and a BA classic.

Trial by Blood, a collection of Andy Smillies Flesh Tearer stuff.

Dante, I am unsure of. It seems chock full of typos, which is what I feared. There's a bit where Dante and his bodyguard catch a ride in a Stormhawk. Haley clearly means Stormraven (and he changes it to stormraven later), but I like the image of 6 guys trying to cram themselves into a single seat fighter.

I don't remember those typos :o

Previously known as Telanicus

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen The Chosen of the Unholy Imperium of Cane.

gallery_29004_10383_20021.jpg

Calistarius

Calistarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 226 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels/Death Guard

Reading through this a thought occurred to me.  Could these Primaris Astartes be used to reforge the traitor legions?  If they used the gene seed of the primarchs then it would seem that Cawl could have done so with even the traitor primarchs.  Just a thought.  I'm not really excited about them though.  I like the idea of struggling armies getting some reinforcements, but I would have liked to have seen it as new technology, such as the bolt rifle. 

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." - Frank Costello

sebs_evo7

sebs_evo7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 343 posts
Fluff wise it's horrible. Can anyone else imagine Seth or the other flesh tearer marines accepting these new marines into their chapter?

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,312 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carmine Blades

Fluff wise it's horrible. Can anyone else imagine Seth or the other flesh tearer marines accepting these new marines into their chapter?

Mate, if Andy Smiley is excited and on board why are you resisting? We all know his love for the Flesh Tearers.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpg

sebs_evo7

sebs_evo7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 343 posts
I'm not resistant to the change i just wish they would do a better job with fluff. You can't just make a blanket statement and say all the chapters are happy to have strangers come in, wear their chapter colours and fight alongside them. Now granted we haven't heard the whole story on how they are integrated but we do have what they said on the stream.
I like Andy smiley a lot and enjoy his writing but how can you write flesh tearer and then say yep gabriel will be fine with someone rocking up and saying look mate you're out of date, I can perform a procedure on you to make you better than you are. Gabriel would lock them in a room full of death company.
I fully intend to buy these new marines to make assault marines or death company if we are lucky but my opinion gw is dropping the ball on fluff.
Nothing against Andy, he's still got bills to pay

Edited by sebs_evo7, 20 May 2017 - 12:27 AM.

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,136 posts
... they didn't do that. In fact they literally said the opposite...

And why would Seth reject them?

Edited by Arkangilos, 20 May 2017 - 12:55 AM.

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,136 posts
"Many Chapter Masters have welcomed their Primaris brethren into their ranks, accepting the new reinforcements gladly. Others, though, view these new creations with suspicion or outright hostility, claiming that the Emperor’s work should not have been meddled with."
https://www.warhamme...rkImperiumMay16

Edited by Arkangilos, 20 May 2017 - 01:07 AM.

• sebs_evo7 likes this

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,312 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carmine Blades

I'm not resistant to the change i just wish they would do a better job with fluff. You can't just make a blanket statement and say all the chapters are happy to have strangers come in, wear their chapter colours and fight alongside them. Now granted we haven't heard the whole story on how they are integrated but we do have what they said on the stream.
I like Andy smiley a lot and enjoy his writing but how can you write flesh tearer and then say yep gabriel will be fine with someone rocking up and saying look mate you're out of date, I can perform a procedure on you to make you better than you are. Gabriel would lock them in a room full of death company.
I fully intend to buy these new marines to make assault marines or death company if we are lucky but my opinion gw is dropping the ball on fluff.
Nothing against Andy, he's still got bills to pay

True. I don't think it's super terrible though, but his amount of excitement in the live Q&A made me believe the Flesh Tearers would welcome the marines. They are unfortunately less than 400 strong now.
  • sebs_evo7 likes this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpg

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,344 posts

I don't remember those typos :o

First line of chapter 5 of the limited edition. I'm hoping it got fixed for the digital!

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,482 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

It's really sad when the expensive limited edition has typos. Don't they have any proofreader that actually care? down.gif

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,344 posts
Yes, it just makes it hard to tell whether he means hawk, talon or raven, which kills the immersion a little.

Also, sorry about spoilers 😂

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,136 posts
Eh, I don't feel cheapened any. I got the limited ed and didn't even notice until now XD

Zeller

Zeller

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,074 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Well it seems the Black Templars will be the first to deny these new men entry into their ranks. Tinkering with the Emperor's holy work and all that.

If anything I bet the Primaris marines will be seen as a welcoming addition to buy the sons of Sanguinius more time to solve the problem of the black rage.

Personally, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to keep putting them on the right. Anyone who questions your decision is a Communist.

QUOTE (Ashdown @ Aug 17 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can play vanilla marines, however, it is a heavy burden to wield such shame.

NTaW

NTaW

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,158 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels
^ apparently the new dudes will still suffer from the Thirst (ref. recent Q&A), so it would follow that they too can succumb to the Rage.

terminatorAM

terminatorAM

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 385 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Hunters, Flesh Tearers
I can't get too mad at the new Primaris fluff because...well, GW had never been that great with their story writing. Genocide and war atrocities written at a 5th grade reading level.

What I AM excited for is the fan fiction opportunities.

For example, I'm thinking on an idea of how my Flesh Tearers will use the new Primaris Marines to reinforce their companies that suffered heavy losses and Armegeddon. As they went from 5 companies (at the start of Armegeddon) to 400 Marines (prior to the Shield of Baal campaign) they are desperate need of new bodies or else face annihilation on Baal.

This new warp rift thing also seems to have cut off the Flesh Tearers from Craetacia and therefore new recruits. Seth won't be happy to learn this, but will have little choice to accept the new Primaris Marines and save face in front of Dante.

Edited by terminatorAM, 21 May 2017 - 05:19 PM.

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,507 posts
They will be like those extra large Capri Sun juice bags. Delicious!

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,344 posts

I mean, you are right. The thing is though, it would look really weird to have half my army much taller than the other half. I know they can be used as either really, but I really dislike the idea of a multiple height aesthetic.

Don't worry about it - the foreshortening from your height looking at models will really kill any minor height difference.

If it helps, there is a similar difference in height between a marine made with the original 3rd ed plastic and one made with a new BA box and 32mm base - the 32mm is a fraction taller than the 25 mm also ;)

My plog has some pics of a dev squad using mixed parts, you can see the minor size difference there, but you cant tell in my display cabinet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users