So I noticed in the 'Primaris Marines' preview video that they're cited as clad in "Mk.X Armour". Now, this begs the question - what happened to Mk.IX armour? I wasn't aware that Mk.VIII had been superseded by any subsequent developments; and the only possibility anybody's advanced that even made a semi-semblance of sense (an associate's suggestion) was that GW has retroactively decided that Aegis Armour constitutes Mark Nine. 

Am I missing something?

Technically all the Mk8+ kitbash generation that Deathwatch use. It's another case just like Mk5 Heresy mixed armour. Not a proper mark at all, really.

According to who? Have GW said this?

Personally, I would have gone straight to calling it "Astra" armour, or something. Not that that is any better, really, but "Tacticus" is kind of a lame duck...

with tech industry, they sometimes skip a public mark 9 and just jump to 10. windows 8 then windows 10.

While that is quite true, and can be pointed to in many things, I'd rather there wasn't a missing mark. Granted, daddy Mark 8 and mummy Mark 4 have a hell of a good looking love-child, I can't countenance a non-production Mark. Or, rather, I can't countenance zero information on the Mark. So long as it existed, even only as a prototype, I'd be content.

And, as far as I'm concerned, the DW are clad in Mark 8 and minor variations thereof. Their power armour, imo, is not Mark 9 (unless told otherwise by canon).

And, as far as I'm concerned, the DW are clad in Mark 8 and minor variations thereof. Their power armour, imo, is not Mark 9 (unless told otherwise by canon).

And that's okay ^_^

But since I shared my opinion first, then by the rules of the internet you are wrong. Sorry whistlingW.gif

And that's okay happy.png

But since I shared my opinion first, then by the rules of the internet you are wrong. Sorry whistlingW.gif

Drat. What if I shouted louder? That counts, right? :D

wait, is the thing about Nine being unlucky according to Cawl canon? Because that seems rather ... odd. [surely "eight' would be *less* lucky, given present circumsetances besetting the galaxy?]

I can understand where folk are coming from drawing the analogy to Mk.V - except that i) we know that Mk.VI was *originally* designated Mk.V prior to the Heresy [the prototype suits shipped to the Salamanders, Iron Warriors, and Raven Guard], only being redesignated as a later Mk due to the profusion of what would become Mk.V [which, despite being described as an 'anything-goes' hodge-podge, appears in many instances to have features not easily found on other armour mks - and with more than passing similarities to what would eventually become Mk.VII, as can be seen in helmets and kneepads]; and ii) we're yet ot actually see any 'mish-mash' post-Mk.VIII armours represented in fluff [that I'm aware of, anyway]. 

Perhaps ther's some proto-Primaris character or something planned, clad in Mk.IX to show the 'evolution' in that direction from conventional Astartes. Or maybe I'm oerthinking this. 

If you look at all the current sprues for the 40k era, you can see something interesting.

Maximum Yield - Mk VII

Next - Mk VI

Solo - Mk VIII

Then, we have the mishmashes of VI and VII.

Now, the new devastator kits are significantly different in looks with the added stabilising sections and increased optics that we could be looking at yet another mashup.

Finally, we add in the Deathwatch Mk VIII armour and its minor variations.

If you take the mishmashes of VI, VII, and VIII, why couldn't they be collectively called Mk IX?

Pretty sure GK power armor is Mk9 Aegis.

Afaik, Aegis is, and always has been, Aegis - the Mk9 designation has never officially been ascribed to that. Currently, I consider claims that Aegis armour and DW Mk8 armour to be Mk9 to be guesswork, educated or otherwise. Each to their own, suppose.

Deathwatch's using MK VIII. Had a look in their codex and there was no mentioning about MK VIII 2.0 or something which hints towards MK IX.

Maybe it's the same like they did with the Lost Legions. They left it open for us to play with.

OR

They will reveal MK IV in the future. Maybe as a experimental armor for the very first Primaris and thus the veteran version of the basic Primaris?

Archived