The Primaris Space Marines and the Space Wolves

Filius

Maybe his company goes with him, to teach the Primaris all the actual stuff they need to know

I can just imagine how that would work out:

"Ok my Primaris brethren, once the drop pod lands, we rush out with Jarl Ragnar and turn the snow red!"

"Umm, we cannot ride in droppods....."

"Hmmm, well then as soon as the Blessed Land Raider assault ramps drop, we rush with Jarl Ragnar and turn the snow red!!"

"Oooooh, yea we can't ride in Land Raiders either."

"......."

Rules have never equaled fluff. 

like ever.

We already know they've designated the Wolfspear as a Successor Chapter, so they won't be replacing the two recently lost GCs.

Primaris Marines with Russ' gene seed legacy will be seen in the Wolfspear, which will be a Primaris-only organization, and in the Space Wolves, as replacements and reinforcements. They'll be integrated into some of the Great Companies, and might even comprise the entirety of the two Great Companies that would have been raised to replace those lost. That last bit remains to be seen in our codex, of course, but I certainly wouldn't put that out of the realm of possible. In fact, I'd say it is quite probable, as GW is going to emphasize the new line.

Maybe his company goes with him, to teach the Primaris all the actual stuff they need to know

"Ok my Primaris brethren, once the drop pod lands, we rush out with Jarl Ragnar and turn the snow red!"

"Hmmm, well then as soon as the Blessed Land Raider assault ramps drop, we rush with Jarl Ragnar and turn the snow red!!"

"......."

like ever.

Except Ragnar has always been known for leading rapid planetary assaults and his rules and formations reflected this in game. So when Primaris do not have access to the main two means of how Ragnar's lore and rules mesh and are played out on the board, then you have the problem I have as an example.

We already know they've designated the Wolfspear as a Successor Chapter, so they won't be replacing the two recently lost GCs.

Primaris Marines with Russ' gene seed legacy will be seen in the Wolfspear, which will be a Primaris-only organization, and in the Space Wolves, as replacements and reinforcements. They'll be integrated into some of the Great Companies, and might even comprise the entirety of the two Great Companies that would have been raised to replace those lost. That last bit remains to be seen in our codex, of course, but I certainly wouldn't put that out of the realm of possible. In fact, I'd say it is quite probable, as GW is going to emphasize the new line.

I forget that they are calling the Wolfspear a successor, which I don't agree with since they are basically a whole new "breed" then an actual successor in my opinion. But I digress, considering their role and title as a "successor" it does make me believe that they might have some additional options in terms of allying since the guard of the rift thing would be a multiple force endeavor.

As for our currently lost great companies, I just had another thought that maybe they would leave them unknown or unreplaced to allow players to create their own great character companies to their own means. Want to recreate one of the old ones with a new Jarl? Go ahead. Want to create a new Primaris great company? Go ahead. A hybrid SW/Primaris? Go ahead. It opens up the option of no longer having to relegate your great company to being one of the 13th who left the Fang or renounced their oaths or whatever and allows them a great company on the grand annulus.

I forget that they are calling the Wolfspear a successor, which I don't agree with since they are basically a whole new "breed" then an actual successor in my opinion. But I digress, considering their role and title as a "successor" it does make me believe that they might have some additional options in terms of allying since the guard of the rift thing would be a multiple force endeavor.

As for our currently lost great companies, I just had another thought that maybe they would leave them unknown or unreplaced to allow players to create their own great character companies to their own means. Want to recreate one of the old ones with a new Jarl? Go ahead. Want to create a new Primaris great company? Go ahead. A hybrid SW/Primaris? Go ahead. It opens up the option of no longer having to relegate your great company to being one of the 13th who left the Fang or renounced their oaths or whatever and allows them a great company on the grand annulus.

Agree that replacing the depleted great companies does provide opportunity for adding primaris marines to the chapter. You can base tactics around the new units or a combination in the same way that existing great companies reflect their wolf lord's preference.

"......."

like ever.

Except Ragnar has always been known for leading rapid planetary assaults and his rules and formations reflected this in game. So when Primaris do not have access to the main two means of how Ragnar's lore and rules mesh and are played out on the board, then you have the problem I have as an example.

Oh, you have the complete, 100% accurate rules for the Primaris model line on hand?

Because so far GW has only released so many rules for them, and have indicated that there will further expansion.

But if you have all their rules then you can easily make such definitive statementsas to what they can and cannot do.

Please forgive the rest of us for speculating, because we do not have the complete rules set for the Primaris Marines.

"......."

like ever.

Oh, you have the complete, 100% accurate rules for the Primaris model line on hand?

Because so far GW has only released so many rules for them, and have indicated that there will further expansion.

But if you have all their rules then you can easily make such definitive statementsas to what they can and cannot do.

Please forgive the rest of us for speculating, because we do not have the complete rules set for the Primaris Marines.

Not to mention its been 200 years since we lost saw ragnar.

He and the SW's could never change tactics when new weapons and new leaders coming into play.  :rolleyes:

"......."

like ever.

Except you are not speculating, you are just wishlisting. A quick definition of speculating would be forming a theory that is not based on firm evidence. So let's use Ragnar as an example;

Say he was injured during WoM to the point he fell into the Red Dream. While healing, his entire great company is wiped out. Then we could say, "Well maybe since Ragnar has lost his entire great company, maybe he will take over one of the SW Primaris companies.

That is forming a theory based that is not based on firm evidence.

"It would be awesome if Ragnar was Primarisized to lead SW Primaris because it would be cool." Is not speculating, it is just wishing/hoping. And if I propose that it would not be likely for that to happen due to the current rule set and established lore, that is not because I have an advance copy of the rules, that is because I am forming a theory not based on firm evidence, but evidence nonetheless.

For those that keep telling me that I can't speculate that Ragnar will not be Primarisized because the new codex isn't out yet be comfortable with me saying that the SW are going to become full codex compliant and get rid of GH, BC, and LF? I mean after all you can't say that won't be because the our codex isn't out yet right?

"......."

like ever.

Not to mention its been 200 years since we lost saw ragnar.

He and the SW's could never change tactics when new weapons and new leaders coming into play. :rolleyes:

Good point Cald.

Ragnar will end up being Primarisized and be put into Aggressor armor. In close combat he will always strike last, even if he charged, and he has a negative modifier to his invulnerable due to his increased bulk in Aggressor armor.

His BC and GH will surrender their chainswords and bolt pistols in favor of Scout shotguns and be combined into Wolfsader Squads. When within 6" of Ragnar they will have a bonus to fallback and disengage rolls. Same for Intercessors and Hellblasters. No Rhinos, Landraiders, or droppods. Repulsors only for the Primaris.

After all it has been 200 years so Tactica and combat doctrines can change right?

Your blind hatred clouds your mind and poisons your thoughts. You hate anything about the Primaris and you lash out at anyone that attempts to even put a good spin about them. You act and talk like a Blood Claw but imagine yourself a Great Wolf.

We know Ragnar 90% wont be primaris, yet we can speculate that it might be an idea to give a good spin about the Wolf Spear. We attempt to imagine a way to fit the Wolf Spear into the SW, yet you refuse to even think about a way to improve it.

Who says that all SW must become primaris in a company?

Who says that the Wolf Spear are 100% Primaris?

Who says that the SW primaris will be codex compliant?

Who says that Index can not add more, or change, units?

This topic angers you and you post rants that threatens to have this thread locked, stopping others from enjoying it. If this topic angers you so, why not avoid it and take a break. Let the future come and reveal the truth without anger controlling us.

Edited by Caldersson

Dude, I only react when people go off me when I counter their hopes and desires for SW Primaris like I kicked their favorite puppy and skinned their favorite cat.

For example, pointing out that everything they have shown is about Primaris units does not lend itself to a Ragnar's combat doctrines and therefore probably won't happen freaks people out screaming that the rules are not out so I could never know what GW will do. Well then how can they in one breath scream that I can't say that because the rules are not out yet, but then in the next talk about Ragnar being Primarisized when the rules are not out yet.

I have pointed out several times that the Wolfspear would instead possibly have a named Jarl, that the SW Primaris might fill one of the lost companies on the grand annulus, or that a SW Primaris/SW hybrid company might fill the their lost company on the grand annulus. And people have been cool about those speculations even though the codex isn't out yet so how could I dare speculate.

Yea, I despise how GW has handled the integration so far and haven't been shy about pointing out what I think is crap. I have also offered alternatives theories that could happen based upon what little we have been given. I have put forward Repulsor spam ideas with Intercessors and Hellblasters for the SW Primaris and what niches Primaris units as we know them now could fill in a SW force with Intercessor/Hellblaster being midrange between GH and LF, Aggressors supporting LF, and Inceptors being immediate close support for Wulfen and TWC. But to expect me or in fact anyone to not point out inconsistencies in theories when they are just I wish lists is ridiculous. You are basically asking for everyone to be a "yes man" to any theory regardless of basis of said theory.

So I agreed with your 200 years have passed theory about tactics changing and added my own. So what is the problem?

Ramses has every right to post his opinion. If you don't like it, don't react or should I say overreact. Some people just need to chill, grow thicker skins and look at it from an outside point of view. I see where he is coming from and understand it. There is no HATE. Maybe a distain/dislike. Either way I'm amused at all of this LOL

We are all Wolves here. Sometimes we won't always see eye to eye but in the end the intentions and the overall loyalty to the Wolves remain. Find a common ground and stick with it or I can always open up the tavern and have you both go at it and let the dice rolls decide.

Everyone chill and have several pints mjod on me

Edited by MaveriK

Ramses has every right to post his opinion. If you don't like it, don't react or should I say overreact. Some people just need to chill, grow thicker skins and look at it from an outside point of view. I see where he is coming from and understand it. There is no HATE. Maybe a distain/dislike. Either way I'm amused at all of this LOL

We are all Wolves here. Sometimes we won't always see eye to eye but in the end the intentions and the overall loyalty to the Wolves remain. Find a common ground and stick with it or I can always open up the tavern and have you both go at it and let the dice rolls decide.

Everyone chill and have several pints mjod on me

Pretty sure I have knocked you out with a thrown stool in the Tavern....

I was going to say basically what MaveriK said.  It's fine to speculate one way or the other, for or against, or whatever.  Everyone just needs to be cool to each other when they do it, and when they respond to other folks' ideas and input.  There has been a lot of over-reaction on both sides of this, and we need a lot more level-headed posts in the Fang.  

@Ramses hahaha I still have the scar to prove it! I call it a mark of honour.

@Triszin, once per turn or for the entire game? can Primaris fit in a Stormfang/Wolf? would they even get access to one?

your guys thoughts and reactions to the repulsor rules?

repuslor field does -2" to the charge roll on enemies charging the tank

The price is steep. Not going to be able to run Repulsor spam unless you look or running a very small army. I could picture adding one or two of these with a Intercessor/Hellblaster squad in with a traditional Razorback spam list to mix things up.

"......."

like ever.

Except you are not speculating, you are just wishlisting. A quick definition of speculating would be forming a theory that is not based on firm evidence. So let's use Ragnar as an example;

Say he was injured during WoM to the point he fell into the Red Dream. While healing, his entire great company is wiped out. Then we could say, "Well maybe since Ragnar has lost his entire great company, maybe he will take over one of the SW Primaris companies.

That is forming a theory based that is not based on firm evidence.

"It would be awesome if Ragnar was Primarisized to lead SW Primaris because it would be cool." Is not speculating, it is just wishing/hoping. And if I propose that it would not be likely for that to happen due to the current rule set and established lore, that is not because I have an advance copy of the rules, that is because I am forming a theory not based on firm evidence, but evidence nonetheless.

For those that keep telling me that I can't speculate that Ragnar will not be Primarisized because the new codex isn't out yet be comfortable with me saying that the SW are going to become full codex compliant and get rid of GH, BC, and LF? I mean after all you can't say that won't be because the our codex isn't out yet right?

Never said anything about Ragnar becoming a Primaris Marine would be cool. 

In fact, I'm pretty against Primaris marines at this point.

I'm just pointing out that you seem hellbent on pissing on everybody's parade here as if you have the complete story and it's getting old, fast. 

We have no idea what GW is going to do, because the last few months alone have shown that GW is not opposed to rewriting it's own history or pulling the dead back to life.

Just chill.

Now, let's take an honest look at what we can expect; some of this I've already pointed out in earlier threads.

The Wolfspear are a new Successor Chapter of Russ-gene Primaris that had served as Grey Shields with RG's legion of Primaris in the Indomitus Crusade.  We know they were formed as a new Chapter and left to guard the Rift at a strategic point.  

Just based on what little bit on them that was in the novel (Dark Imperium), we can be pretty certain they'll be pure Primaris Marines, and Primaris units and equipment, and their officers will come from those veterans that rose to the top during the 112 year campaign.  These Wolfspear aren't going to have any legacy Grey Hunters, Blood Claws, or Long Fangs, etc.  This is the most probable situation, as it seems to be exactly what has happened with the entire Ultima Founding, where the leftover gene-sons from the various Primarchs have been split from the disbanded Grey Shields to form new Chapters of purely Primaris units.  It is highly doubtful that Ragnar, or anyone else from the actual Space Wolves Chapter is going to be reassigned to go serve in a leadership position over in the Wolfspear.  I see this as being unlikely for several different reasons: those Marines have responsibilities to their own Chapter, the novel doesn't mention this type of reassignment being coordinated, and with the experience gained in over a century of constant warfare those new Chapters frankly don't need any outside help from their "Founding Chapters" for leadership.  As Ramses has mentioned, it is pretty likely that we'll start seeing some named Primaris special characters; we'll definitely get a better idea of what to expect in our codex when we see the regular Space Marine codex next weekend.

So, the Wolfspear are pretty much covered.  The only thing we don't really "know" about them yet is color scheme and symbols, and perhaps whether they'll use classic Space Wolf terminology for their units (like Wolf Lords for Captains, Rune Priests for Librarians, etc.).

Now, as to the Space Wolves, we know that Primaris Marines have been sent to the Chapters as reinforcements, and we also know that the technology to create new Primaris Marines has been shared with the Chapters - that was a huge part of the whole purpose of the Indomitus Crusade.  So, for the Space Wolves, we can certainly expect the incorporation of Primaris Marines and Primaris units (Intercessors, Reivers, etc.) into all of the Great Companies, both as newish recruits and from experienced veterans of the Crusade, and we might even see that the two Great Companies lost during the events in the Fenris system and on Cadia were replaced entirely by Primaris Marines, because those were what were made immediately available when Lord Commander Guillimon delivered them.  I would be frankly surprised if it were done any differently, and expect to see the same thing from the Blood Angels, who also took a huge hit to their Chapter, and needed Primaris reinforcements badly.  

Finally, we've also been told that regular/traditional Astartes can go through a lengthy and difficult process to become Primaris.  This is where the real mystery is.  What does that remark from the designers really mean for us?  I think we'll also learn a lot from what we see in the SM codex here, as well; if Sicarius Cato turns up with a new model, and is Primaris-sized, then we can expect something similar for us.  Is it possible that someone like Ragnar decides to go through the process to upgrade?  Of course it is.  No doubt, GW is going to want to sell as many of these new boxes, as possible, and leveraging popular legacy characters is one way to do that.  It might not come to fruition, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.  If it does happen, however, it won't be a major change for Ragnar's role in the Chapter.  He'll just have a newer, bigger, model in the new Mk X Armour, and will get an extra Wound and Attack; that'd be the extent of it.  He'll still be Lord of the Blackmanes, who'll have plenty of legacy packs of Hunters, Claws, and Fangs, that work alongside their new Intercessor, Hellblaster, and Inceptor brethren.  Might not happen, but I wouldn't rule it out.  

Just as likely, we'll just get a brand new Primaris Wolf Lord.  He'll be a new guy that was elevated from somebody's Wolf Guard, is selected to step up and form a new Great Company to replace one of the two GCs that were recently lost in battle, and decides to give the upgrade a go.  I'd frankly be surprised if we don't get a new character like this, at least in the fluff, even if he doesn't initially get a new model and rules to go with it.  Otherwise it is a hugely wasted opportunity on GW's part.  They're going to want to give us a reason to invest in those new Captain and/or Captain in Gravis Armour models, and pure Space Wolves won't have that without a Wolf Lord in at least the background to justify it.  

Fluff wise would the wolf spear be more vulnerable to chaos influence without the wulfen curse?

If Crawl was able to clean up the gene seed and remove what makes Wolves stand out and cool then these guys are just giant Fenrisians in space without the extra hair and fangs/k9s. LOL they call it an upgraded software (primaris) but sadly and in my own personal opinion the hardware is missing all that extra nudge that makes Wolves "unique." Sure they look cool and they have nifty rules. But remember, a wolf pack works together. Synergy. Wolves nor Primaris upgrades shouldn't be a one trick pony. I still have mad love for the regular marines. They know grimdark. They war war.

Thanks Trizin, I'll check out the rules right now.

Fluff wise would the wolf spear be more vulnerable to chaos influence without the wulfen curse?

If Crawl was able to clean up the gene seed and remove what makes Wolves stand out and cool ...

As far as we know so far, Cawl did not attempt to remove what he called the "idiosyncrasies" within the gene-seed of certain Chapters.  So, we can expect in the fluff at least that Blood Angels Primaris are still susceptible to the Red Thirst and Black Rage, and Space Wolves and Wolfspear Primaris would be susceptible to the Curse of the Wulfen.  

If Crawl was able to clean up the gene seed and remove what makes Wolves stand out and cool ...

As far as we know so far, Cawl did not attempt to remove what he called the "idiosyncrasies" within the gene-seed of certain Chapters. So, we can expect in the fluff at least that Blood Angels Primaris are still susceptible to the Red Thirst and Black Rage, and Space Wolves and Wolfspear Primaris would be susceptible to the Curse of the Wulfen.
Okay good! Thank god. I was picking up paints today at GW and overheard some kids saying Crawl perfected it. Edited by MaveriK

As far as we know so far, Cawl did not attempt to remove what he called the "idiosyncrasies" within the gene-seed of certain Chapters. So, we can expect in the fluff at least that Blood Angels Primaris are still susceptible to the Red Thirst and Black Rage, and Space Wolves and Wolfspear Primaris would be susceptible to the Curse of the Wulfen.
Okay good! Thank god. I was picking up paints today at GW and overheard some kids saying Crawl perfected it.

He cleansed the geneseed from 10k years of degradation therefore "perfecting" it back to their original 30k state. IIRC there was some lore that stated 30k marines were better/bigger than 40k marines. This helped the Primaris become "better" fighters than their 40k marine counterparts.