The Primaris Space Marines and the Space Wolves

Filius

From a modeling perspective, I would love to field an entire VIth force of what SM should have always looked like and even stat wise should have been at since i got into the game almost two decades ago.

But the kicker is that GW screwed any chance I have of just relegating them to normal SM because I will have to likely see them across the board in he craptastic role GW has jammed them into 8th.

I am being 100% in that this has ruined 8th for me and will so until hopefully they are just completely phased in as being the default SM for the game. They just went too far on this one for me that even with the excitement of the new gaming system, this is just too much of a sticking point for me to even play against.

It used to be said that what a SM was to a human, a Primarch was to a SM. GW can go screw themselves by ruining that setting with this rubbish lore.

And now with the Thousand Sons release and Deathguard leaked photos showing that Chaos models and the Primaris model are in line size wise, the old SM line looks even more ridiculous and just outclassed, out armored, and outgunned.

I also figure there will be specific Chapters of PSM for each named Chapter; the first issue is the Vlka one had better be Vlka all the way in the fluff too. Many of us here know the fact that just because they can howl won't mean anything if their hearts are not in it!

Second, I might mix some bits, most likely full SW PSM bits for me.

Still, if they, the Primaris Space Marines, do not come with the Vlka ways, I will have to just enjoy cutting the threads on the table of the ones I fight.

Vlka only, or no way, says I!

I like the idea of the Primaris Marines and their being made from Wolf geneseed, so far I am waiting to read more of the lore to come to see the how's of their creation.

That said I've been a loyal member of the Rout since Rogue Trader and have seen them go from being grey marines to full blown space Viking barbarians. I will be adding some to my collection and do hope in time we see a more Space Wolf version of them. With the current state of the Rout in the Lore we will be needing added Astartes manpower if we are going to survive the upcoming crusade.

If they are doing Primaris Vlka...it has to be REALLY REALLY REALLY explained well. Otherwise, it's just a :cuss: Matt Ward-ish momentum of ruining everything.

All of the sudden, we would have "pure" Vlka Marines without flaws? All of the sudden, we would have "pure" BAs, Black Dragons and so on?

All of the sudden, everything would turn into a bland "Me uber Astartes. Me has brothers just like me. Me bash everything. Ol' Wolves are tiny and weak. Time for UBER WOLVES!"

No, just no. I don't love this setting because of flawless Marines. (and that's why I'm not very into the UM, etc.) I love it because of this weird mixture of flaws, being badass, desperate attempt to save everything but it's just getting more :cuss:.

I'll give these Primaris a chance. It CAN be good, if done and explained well. If it's just another deus ex machina scenario, may own 40K ends right before Gathering Storm.

What the heck!? Why are you all so whiny now! Get yourself together!
You sound like the Sons of the Lion, sitting in the corner, crying about not knowing which Wing to put these newcomers under!

Who are we?
The Vlka Fenryka, the Space Wolves, the Sons of Russ, the Chosen Warriors of the Allfather!

Did we give a flying :censored: , when the Thunderwolf Cavalry joined our ranks?
NO! - Some integrated them, some ignored them, some embraced them, others found ways to use their rules in other ways and built counts-as!

Did we stop when Murderfang, a brother far beyond saving, was awoken from his icy slumber?
NO, never! Some let him run rampant, some put him back to sleep, SOME *cough* put him into an -IMPROVED- Dreadknight, for Russ' sake!

Did we stop when we found the Stormwolf/Stormfang in our armies!?
NO, we didn't! Some integrated them, some ignored them, some embraced them, others converted them or used other flyers with their rules!

Did we stop when the new Wulfen were saved by our Great Companies?
NO, we didn't! Some took them in, others ignored them, some gave them remnants of Power Armor or even Terminator Armor!

WHY?
BECAUSE WE DO WHAT WE WANT, HOWEVER WE WANT!
The Sky is -NOT- falling - and even if it did, we would be the first to learn how to live, hunt and fight in a skyless world!

We don't even know much fluff about them, so calm yourselves... and even IF it turns out bad or unacceptable, or if we just don't get much of an explanation - we WILL FIND A WAY!
And we don't even know all of their units, nor their rules or uses! Maybe they will be the perfect Anvil to our Hammer, maybe they will be good to keep our backs free, maybe we just steal their flyer for a better Assault tactic!? We don't know! We have to wait and see...

AND: We're already on our way to adapting them to our needs and likings!
Maverick has already named them "Jotunn", which is a fantastic idea!
Strangers who have our genes and our blood, who fight at our sides and under our banner - but who have to prove that they are worthy enough to share our name!

You could also use them as your Companies' absolute best Wolf Guard, kitted out in the newest equipment.
Or you give them some battle-damage, mix in some armor marks and make them 13th Company Veterans, bulked out because of their transformation, in make-do, salvaged armors, stepping right out of the Warp to join your Company!

Or whatever  you want to do with them, heretics be damned! Because each and every one of us will find his personal, individual way to deal with them! Because that's what we always do, always have done and always will do!

All of the sudden, we would have "pure" Vlka Marines without flaws? 

We haven't been told that the flaws have been cured.  I highly doubt they will be, in fact.  They're just a bigger, stronger version of what we already have.

V

You sound like the Sons of the Lion, sitting in the corner, crying about not knowing which Wing to put these newcomers under!

[…]

ROTFOTFLASTT*

At first I read "You sound like the Sons of the Lion, sitting in the corner, crying about not knowing which Wings to put these newcomers on!" :rolleyes:

––––––

*Rolling on the floor of the fang laughing and scaring the thunderwolves.

And regarding the Minis … maybe among the Primaris Marines, the great Barbarian from Scibor I once bought, but never used, because he was too tall, comes finally to a use … :happy.:

P.S.: Oh, ah … and they have a few, great, new ones … if they would fit well among the the Primaris, that would be sooo … :yes:

Edited by Filius

**Thunderhawk Gunship lands in remote part of Asaheim**

Wolf Priest stands up: "Every one of you Jotunn monstrosities ON YOUR FEET!

Remove all of your gear save your combat blades.

NOW GET OFF OF MY THUNDERHAWK!

IF we see you at The Fang, we'll have bolt pistols, chainswords and the rest your stuff and you've earned a place."

**Thunderhawk Gunship takes off**

Still on topic, I think, but switching the focus up a bit ---- who here is planning on getting Primaris Marines?  Several of you have voiced concerns about how they'd be received by the Space Wolves background-wise, but who is excited about the new releases?

So, to start off, I love the look of the first models that we've seen so far.  I'm not blown away by the "crunch" of the Intercessor Squad, but love how it looks, and have high hopes for the rest of the Primaris range.  That being said, I don't really see trying to fit them into my Space Wolves army.  I've got over 4,000 points worth of painted Wolves, and already have more units than I would ever get a chance to play all together as it is.  In fact, I swore off adding new units to my Space Wolves years ago, and never even bothered to add TWC or Wulfen, so I just can't see adding additional units of anything.

If the rest of the Primaris range looks as good, and especially the new Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought and other vehicle choices, I could definitely see me just starting a whole new army.  Not that I need a third Space Marine army (also already have several thousand Grey Knights); I could definitely see me starting one, anyway.

So, what about the rest of you lot?

V

I would love to have true-scale marines but only 2 things would make me buy some. First the lore fit the the SW current lore, then I would use models and rules. Second if they were more SW themed than standard UM themed, then I would use them but just replace my models and use them as standard SW's.

Who are we?

The Vlka Fenryka, the Space Wolves, the Sons of Russ, the Chosen Warriors of the Allfather!

Did we give a flying :censored: , when the Thunderwolf Cavalry joined our ranks?

NO! - Some integrated them, some ignored them, some embraced them, others found ways to use their rules in other ways and built counts-as!

Did we stop when Murderfang, a brother far beyond saving, was awoken from his icy slumber?

NO, never! Some let him run rampant, some put him back to sleep, SOME *cough* put him into an -IMPROVED- Dreadknight, for Russ' sake!

Did we stop when we found the Stormwolf/Stormfang in our armies!?

NO, we didn't! Some integrated them, some ignored them, some embraced them, others converted them or used other flyers with their rules!

Did we stop when the new Wulfen were saved by our Great Companies?

NO, we didn't! Some took them in, others ignored them, some gave them remnants of Power Armor or even Terminator Armor!

WHY?

BECAUSE WE DO WHAT WE WANT, HOWEVER WE WANT!

The Sky is -NOT- falling - and even if it did, we would be the first to learn how to live, hunt and fight in a skyless world!

We don't even know much fluff about them, so calm yourselves... and even IF it turns out bad or unacceptable, or if we just don't get much of an explanation - we WILL FIND A WAY!

And we don't even know all of their units, nor their rules or uses! Maybe they will be the perfect Anvil to our Hammer, maybe they will be good to keep our backs free, maybe we just steal their flyer for a better Assault tactic!? We don't know! We have to wait and see...

AND: We're already on our way to adapting them to our needs and likings!

Maverick has already named them "Jotunn", which is a fantastic idea!

Strangers who have our genes and our blood, who fight at our sides and under our banner - but who have to prove that they are worthy enough to share our name!

You could also use them as your Companies' absolute best Wolf Guard, kitted out in the newest equipment.

Or you give them some battle-damage, mix in some armor marks and make them 13th Company Veterans, bulked out because of their transformation, in make-do, salvaged armors, stepping right out of the Warp to join your Company!

Or whatever  you want to do with them, heretics be damned! Because each and every one of us will find his personal, individual way to deal with them! Because that's what we always do, always have done and always will do!

Tell me how are the Primaris Marines anything like the true wolves? Who's trained and indoctrinated them?

TWC, Murderfang, Stormwolf/Stormfang pilots, Wulfen were SW's they were raised on Fenris, they took our challenges and rites of strength they proved themselves. The question is are these Primaris Marines true SW's who know our ways and will follow them? Or are we getting a Ultramarine in Wolfs skin? The lore needs to be put in place to give a full evaluation. IF they act like UM's with strict orders and a cold calculating heart, but have our geneseed are they really wolves? IF GW writes them in well that they act like us, fight like us, and fit in then I see no issue. This is a sensitive subject right now, and GW must tread lightly. The wolves may accept their help but may never truly accept them until they adopt our culture and ways. 

Right now I am skeptical of this because we know Matt Ward is back and we know these were made by Roboute. I respect all other chapters, but I do not want to see these Primaris Marines be the first step in indoctrinating us into Roboute's Codex and leaving our ways behind. When I chose the SW's it was not because I liked everything about them, there were 2 things that stood out. They acted like they were the shield of humanity to defend humans and not use them as meat shields like so many others do, Salamanders also do this but are simply "Green Ultramarines" as my next sentence will elaborate. The wolves did not bend the knee to the codex and simply become "White Ultramarines, Green Ultramarines, Red Ultramarines, etc etc". No they stood their ground and kept their ways. I wanted something that was unique and stood out among the UM armies. Black Templars did this also but their attitude toward humans threw me off.

If they do adopt our culture, then let throw open the doors of the Aett and let our brothers in, let them drink their fill of Mjod and lets start a great feast in celebration. If they are simply UM in Wolf skin, then let them sleep in the Forge Hills with the Thralls until they prove themselves.

By accepting an outsider into our chapters that is not our culture is a swift way to becoming "Baby Blue Ultramarines" and that is scary. Sure we may say "ah they will never do that". People also said they would never make better marines or improve the geneseed... yet here we stand.

if you can consider and accept Terran wolves during 30K such as Long Fang from the books, why have a hard time accepting these guys from mars? Give it time until proper storytelling is given by the likes of ADB or Wraith.

Right now we are sounding like arrogant snobs and higher than mighty better than you chapters. Give it time and wait. You're entitled to your opinions but just wait until the stories drop. They are kin, like it or not. They share the blood of Russ.

[...]  Who's trained and indoctrinated them?

[...] Or are we getting a Ultramarine in Wolfs skin? The lore needs to be put in place to give a full evaluation. IF they act like UM's with strict orders and a cold calculating heart, but have our geneseed are they really wolves? IF GW writes them in well that they act like us, fight like us, and fit in then I see no issue. This is a sensitive subject right now, and GW must tread lightly. The wolves may accept their help but may never truly accept them until they adopt our culture and ways. 

Right now I am skeptical of this because we know Matt Ward is back and we know these were made by Roboute. I respect all other chapters, but I do not want to see these Primaris Marines be the first step in indoctrinating us into Roboute's Codex and leaving our ways behind. When I chose the SW's it was not because I liked everything about them, there were 2 things that stood out. They acted like they were the shield of humanity to defend humans and not use them as meat shields like so many others do, Salamanders also do this but are simply "Green Ultramarines" as my next sentence will elaborate. The wolves did not bend the knee to the codex and simply become "White Ultramarines, Green Ultramarines, Red Ultramarines, etc etc". No they stood their ground and kept their ways. I wanted something that was unique and stood out among the UM armies. Black Templars did this also but their attitude toward humans threw me off.

We don't know enough of all of this yet, so we should stop acting like the Wolf Time is upon us...

Even -IF- they become available and their fluff integration -IS- horrible, that's even MORE of a reason to -STAY- a Wolf Lord of the Space Wolves and continue to fight on as one, instead of abandoning the ship! (As can be read in many other Threads, some refused to use TWC or Wulfen, when they were introduced and proudly stayed true to -their- ideals of how a Space Wolves force should look like)

Even if they were never trained in our ways, make them tag along and teach them, alongside your Great Company, d'uh! We have quite a few Knights or full Knights Houses styled after our own Chapter in this Sub-Forum, just because we like how it looks and because they fought alongside our forces long enough to adapt to our ways.

I bet a battle-barge full of Mjod, we will see a dozen different approaches to the Primaris Space Marines as part of our Chapter until the end of the year... and as evidently visible (Maverick, Filius, Me, others...) people are already thinking about conversion potential, truescaling and modifying.

One other thing:

We don't know in what capacity Matt Ward is back. He payed a visit to the HQ, nothing else points to him being "the Bringer of Doom and Gloom in the 8th Edition" or anything. Maybe he writes a novel - but we don't even know if it's for 30k, 40k, AoS, Blood Bowl or another new sub-game system.

Evidently he is not credited along others for Gathering Storm 1/2/3 - And especially 3. could be described as the Epitome of Ultramarines Fanboyism.

So please STOP from spreading it like the gospel of Lorgar...

I agree with both of you and I think we can agree that CURRENTLY

Primaris = Episode 2 clones without any culture (besides Commandos being Mandalorians)

Astartes = Episode 3 clones, with a fully developed character and culture

We don't know enough of all of this yet, so we should stop acting like the Wolf Time is upon us...

Even -IF- they become available and their fluff integration -IS- horrible, that's even MORE of a reason to -STAY- a Wolf Lord of the Space Wolves and continue to fight on as one, instead of abandoning the ship! (As can be read in many other Threads, some refused to use TWC or Wulfen, when they were introduced and proudly stayed true to -their- ideals of how a Space Wolves force should look like)

Even if they were never trained in our ways, make them tag along and teach them, alongside your Great Company, d'uh! We have quite a few Knights or full Knights Houses styled after our own Chapter in this Sub-Forum, just because we like how it looks and because they fought alongside our forces long enough to adapt to our ways.

And to set an kind reminder of my origianl post … even if they are Ultramarines in Wolfpelts: All the other Chapters get them, too. They will become the Starter-Marines and the new Poster-Boys for the whole Hobby, every Marines Player has to cope with them, so make the best of it. And the Space Wolves have the best position to make the best of it, even if they are Ultramarines in Wolfpelts: This let your other, supposedly true fenrisian Units shine in contrast to them. They maybe the new, shaved, young boys from the test-tubes and we might fight alonside with them, because we are the most loyal of all, but you Grey hunters stay Grey Hunters and will look even greyer next to them.

One other thing:

We don't know in what capacity Matt Ward is back. He payed a visit to the HQ, nothing else points to him being "the Bringer of Doom and Gloom in the 8th Edition" or anything. Maybe he writes a novel - but we don't even know if it's for 30k, 40k, AoS, Blood Bowl or another new sub-game system.

Evidently he is not credited along others for Gathering Storm 1/2/3 - And especially 3. could be described as the Epitome of Ultramarines Fanboyism.

That's true … even Matt Ward and Roboute Guilliman are only Men, okay, Roboute Guilliman is a primarch, but … he still might be open to insight and revision of his former positions. And as I said somewhere … publishing an updated Edition of "your book" once every 10.000 years is even for him not all too heretic. So let's wait an see, what they come up with …

… and … let me ask you a Question: Don't the wolves praise their Loyalty to the Allfather more than anything else? It was Leman Russ himself, who rejected the Codex, Roboutes equal Brother. Not anyone of our Astartes. But Russ is not here. And Roubute Guilliman is the only Primarch we currently have. And he still is the Allfathers son. What would a loyal man do?

Edited by Filius

Brother Ramses- well spoken. I won't bore everyone with my perceptions of the fluff or how that reflects what army I put on the table- but needless to say it seems to me the new GW writers are going a different direction than those who started the game 30 years ago when I started playing.

From a game perspective I have too many well painted minis to neglect to purchase bigger ones. As far as I am concerned if the new marines are tactically better on the table top, then all my old marines will suddenly be infused with their strengths- heck they are based on 32mm bases so its all good.

Really what is comes down to is, do you want to repaint, repurchase your whole army right? I mean if the tact marines are bigger, then your terminators look out of place and soon GW will release a new taller terminator kit, and then of course all your vehicles/dreads etc look out of place so GW will be all too glad to sell you replacements for those. You merely have to look at AoS to see what will happen. Look at the old dwarf army. I would wager you will see massive aesthetic changes to the elves when released. I have no desire to repaint my massive SW collection. Now, would I consider purchasing a whole new army, yes, but the timing took that option out of the equation for me. As a long time SW player I have been waiting ages for the 1K Sons to have a makeover which they did. I now have close to a thousand dollars wrapped up in 1K Sons FW models for a 30k project. I just don't think Ill ever want to do a third SM army, given my age ,degenerating painting skills and lets face it, a marine is a marine is a marine from a painting/modeling aspect. 

I do hope they keep 30k and 40k separate. I enjoy the fluff of the old grim dark 40k- the sense that you are surrounded on all sides and hope is nearly lost (but not quite).

I know this may sound silly but that sense has been destroyed for me with the new direction (and this started with AoS). With AoS, Chaos won, game over but somehow they recreated the game fluff from those burning ashes. That just isn't my preference. Now with 40k, when things are the grimmest, all of a sudden we have 12,000 new ultra warriors ready to push back humanities enemies? So essentially now GW has altered the fluff so that anytime things get bad, don't worry, they can add something else in to maintain the balance. In essence they are re-establishing a balance that never needed re-balancing. 

Some folks have been clamoring for a progression in the plot for awhile but I enjoy the timeline locked where it was. To me its a certain age, no different than WW2, Civil War etc- if you progress, that time period is over. If I want to play a different time period, play 30k. You don't hear historical Civil War guys saying they want a plot progression, because if you do, its not the civil war anymore, its WW2.

Again, that's just my two cents.

[...]  Who's trained and indoctrinated them?

[...] Or are we getting a Ultramarine in Wolfs skin? The lore needs to be put in place to give a full evaluation. IF they act like UM's with strict orders and a cold calculating heart, but have our geneseed are they really wolves? IF GW writes them in well that they act like us, fight like us, and fit in then I see no issue. This is a sensitive subject right now, and GW must tread lightly. The wolves may accept their help but may never truly accept them until they adopt our culture and ways. 

I bet a battle-barge full of Mjod, we will see a dozen different approaches to the Primaris Space Marines as part of our Chapter until the end of the year... and as evidently visible (Maverick, Filius, Me, others...) people are already thinking about conversion potential, truescaling and modifying.

One other thing:

This is why I keep saying we need the lore. After that people can decide to leave them or take them. 

As for Matt Ward, he doesn't directly work for them, he works independent as "The Tower of Two Stars". His work can been seen here http://thetowerofstars.com/hire-me/ and you can see that it does list Gathering Storms as a project he freelanced. So he is not in GW, but rather a freelancer hired by GW.

Edited by Caldersson

[…]

Really what is comes down to is, do you want to repaint, repurchase your whole army right? I mean if the tact marines are bigger, then your terminators look out of place and soon GW will release a new taller terminator kit, and then of course all your vehicles/dreads etc look out of place so GW will be all too glad to sell you replacements for those. You merely have to look at AoS to see what will happen. Look at the old dwarf army. I would wager you will see massive aesthetic changes to the elves when released.

[…]

Again, that's just my two cents.

You are right, you can argue that way. As we don't know what is going to happen, you can argue that way. It happend before. Thats the proof it can happen again.

But … I can also argue otherwise, and I am not even going into the question why they did with Age of Sigmar what they did. I am just going to look, what they did with the Space Wolves and 40k during the last years: They pampered the Space Wolves Players more than any other Astartes Faction. Own Dreadnought, own Flyers, long longed for Thunderwolf Cavalery and new long ooped Wulfen. But they also pampered the Blood Angels, as one example. All in all they massively extended the existing line of Pre-Primaris Power Armour Minis, not only for the classic 40k but also through Boxed Games. They even published pastic Squads for  MK III and MK IV Armour – all of that based on the same proportions of the Minis.

And … dear Residents of the Aett … mostly all of this has been done in – imho – okay, fluffy way. I want to remind you – again – of your brothers of the White Scars and the Iron Hands. Any White Scars feared the Idea of being entombed in a Dreadnought once; now they have several of them in each Company. The Iron Hands had proud, autonomous Clans once. Now they have a Scout-Company. The Wolves have not been even close to being significantly retconned during the last years. And as far as we know by now, they still aren't.

This is no proof for anything that is going to happen, just like the Age of Sigmar is only proof for the fact, that something like this could happen again … but I do think, that the development of the last years counts for something.

Just my two cents … and … we're not going to change it really anyways, but we can make the best of it.

So the proud Space Wolves are fine with someone messing with their Geneseed and sticking it into non Fenrisians?

The only way these will stand alongside my Wolves is after I have converted them into a unit of 'zerkers/proxy Wulfen.

The founding members of the Legion were Terran, not Fenrisian.

We have never been a one planet force. Just mostly a one planet force.