Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pink Horrors & 8th Edition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys Targaryen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts

So,  from the few tidbits offered on the Chaos Daemons focus article,  and drawing a few possible hints from AoS,  I have to wonder if my glorious Tzeentchian legions are going to end up sitting back on the shelf for 8th,  as they did after the GK stupidity of 5th...

The biggest nerf dropped at the moment:  Split rule is still in,  but now you have to buy the Blues as 'reserve pts'!

So we get to pay for the basic unit,  and then,  to even use their built-in special rule,  (which one assumes is already 'paid' for within the model's basic cost),  we now to pay an additional 'tax' because... "Daemons broke 7th!lol."?

Personally,  as someone who's played mono-Tzeentch ever since the Daemon codex dropped pre-5th,  I hate this change.  (irony of statement is noted!:P )

Why can't GW just properly cost Pinkies to account for the splitting in the first place?!  Sure,  at 9pts like they currently are,  it's obnoxious and can easily break the game.  But why can't we just pay more pts for our unit,  in order to account for their ability to effectively 'bleed wounds',  instead of being forced into additional book keeping and (very likely) a potentially huge in-game disadvantage just to use our fluffy rule?

Secondly,  there's no word yet on *IF* Horrors will get an actual shooting attack back.  I find this especially concerning,  since AoS has a "Rule of One" for Matched Play,  (the ONLY kind of game my local store will ever play),  meaning that a specific spell can only ever be attempted once per turn!  (ie:  no even trying to cast 2 or more 'smite')

Without an actual shooting attack,  Horrors will instead become nothing but a burden to any mono Tzeentch player,  since they'll have 0 effective damage output in Matched Play.  (if rule of one makes it in)

So sure,  there's always the age-old,  "duh!  don't play mono-God because you shoot yourself in the foot stupid!"

But mono-God is literally the thing that attracted me to Chaos in the first place,  many,  many moons ago.  I'd hate to be utterly forced to break apart my theme,  (and true devotion),  to Great Tzeentch,  just to have an army that can play past turn 2.

Overall,  I have to say that my early hype for 8th is quickly being beaten out of me by what looks like a massive over-reaction by GW to curb 1 abusive mechanic.

• teutonicavenger likes this

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,953 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Overall,  I have to say that my early hype for 8th is quickly being beaten out of me by what looks like a massive over-reaction by GW to curb 1 abusive mechanic.

I think it's you that is over-reacting personally, not GW. We have no information about most of the stuff you talked about in your post.

Lets see...

#1: Yes you need to pay for blue horros, but we have no information about how that rule works in 8th ed...also, that means the suddenly extremely durable horrors cost more than their 1 wound counterparts which is how it should be.

#2: Exactly, we don't know yet. Why even waste time about worrying about this? The rule of one thing has already been discussed and it seems unlikely that 8th ed will have that, but again, we don't know yet!

#3: Why do you beleive there is no mono-god armies anymore? Heck with keywords I strongly suspect there will be a "Tzeentch" one that you can play around with combined with daemon only FoCs and stuff.

So to sum it all up, relax, be patient. The rules will be out soon enough, this isn't a place to vent your frustration, this is a board for constructive discussions!

"Deception is the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

teutonicavenger

teutonicavenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,897 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard
Never understood why it never was a flat out 5+ for the split like feel no pain with certain stuff ignoring it then that way it wouldn't be over powerful like people claim and still be fluffy yet a nice way of getting extra reinforcements to stop a unit being completely wiped out in one turn

Edited by teutonicavenger, 16 May 2017 - 06:12 AM.

Where Monsters Tread: A Chymeriae Warband
UPDATED 05/02/17

ETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg
May the Gods have mercy upon me

HeresyBeliever

HeresyBeliever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 210 posts

I think the same as you in the fact that if a unit of pink horrors cost 15 pints each and included the rule it would be fine. And to be fair it pretty much is. 

Currently in 7th we pay 90 points for 250 points of models. which isn't fair! 

As we don't know how many points the pinks, blue and brimstone will be its hard to say how big of an issue it is. It also depends on the physic or shooting they get. 

Maybe they will have a physic shooting which acts in the shooting phase as a gun instead of the physic phase like now. It would surprise me if they horrors come down in price as they no longer help the warp charge poll. 

We just don't know yet. If your enjoying playing the rules now make sure you get some games in before 8 th comes out. You never know you may like it!

The Dice Gods always win. And Khorne always wins because there is always blood when there is war.  

Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys Targaryen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts

Well,  going by what the local AoS players have mentioned,  Horrors are considered to be pretty much the single worst unit in that game atm,  and no one even bothers with splitting them anymore,  due to how the mechanic works.

As they've explained it,  you basically end up fighting at a pts disadvantage due to having to effectively pay a 2nd time for that rule.  Only,  instead of like summoning,  it's entirely on your opponent to 'activate' the ability,  which most people apparently just ignore the Pinkies until after the scary stuff is dead.

What we've seen so far,  GW is basically just porting the AoS daemon rules over into 40k.  That bodes ill for Tzeentch.

xera32

xera32

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 106 posts

If reinforcement points are like AoS, then refilling the ranks of a unit doesn't cost any points. Rule of thumb is if you make a unit that didn't exist, you pay. If you add more models to a unit than it started with, you pay.

So if you buy a big unit of blues to begin with, and then suicide pinks to replenish their ranks, you will be fine. Horrors in this way can be awesome tarpits to hold units in place, being forced to kill pinks, which restore the blues (and add in brimstones to keep the fun going).

Even in this regard, horrors are decent still as they have an ok shooting attack, and are wizards(psykers) in their own right.

Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys Targaryen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts

Well,  considering that I've played a fluff bunny list that focuses more on Horrors + Flamers,  with only a few Screamers + Grinders in support,  (and I only used a single Malefic Tzherald),  I feel pretty safe in setting my expectations somewhere between 'Terminators get a functioning kit' and 'the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next year'.

Of course,  I'm still regarded as the world's biggest TFG by the local Marine players,  because "Tzeentch is OP" and all that gak. -.-

• teutonicavenger likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users