Traitor Horus Heresy Schemes in the current 40K timeline

Like many people, I'm really excited about the new edition of 40K. It ticks so many boxes and having played Age of Sigmar for the last few years, I'm really happy with the direction GW is going in with the game. But this topic is about Traitor Horus Heresy Schemes in the current 40K timeline.

The reason I'm bringing this up is I have a stash of MKIV marines from the Battle of Calth set and I'm trying to come up with background for why some of the Cult Chaos Marine warbands/legions would still be using the original colours. Has anybody done this and what have they done?

Cheers

Just make it a warband that sticks to realspace rather than the warp, and eschews the influence of Chaos - perhaps they view themselves as true inheritors to the Heresy rather than pawns of Chaos, or even if they are full Chaos they believe in preserving the history/some aspect of their parent Legion. Setting is your oyster

I've done a similar thing to Sebs, an Iron Warrior force that has a lot of heresy era gear. For other warbands using original colour schemes, looks etc is easy to pull off due to the nature of the traitor legions. You could have a company or Death Guard that didn't retreat into the warp, not believing in the imperium but not becoming bloated with Nurgles gifts. A warband of world eaters that kept their white and blue and kept raiding imperial worlds for skulls etc. 

The first rule of this game is they are your models. You can paint them however you like. The second rules is what you see is what you get. If he supposed to have a plasma pistol. That model better have a plasma pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

The first rule of this game is they are your models. You can paint them however you like. The second rules is what you see is what you get. If he supposed to have a plasma pistol. That model better have a plasma pistol.

Would that be truly true, (the WYSIWYG part) Chaos wouldn't need an update, because every marine would have Combi meltas, power swords and plasma pistols. My landraiders would have ectoplasma cannons, and my helbrutes would have hades autocannons, with baleflamers in chainfists.

At stock point costs of course.

As it is, chaos marines are going to do what they are going to do. Not everyone is compelled to drop flags and move on from their legion roots.

Not everyone is Nurgle levels of lazy and not repaint their armor.

@Trevak Dal,

Is WYSIWYG no longer a thing, it's against chronic "counts-as" not i model whatever I want and add rules to it as I see for.

Just had thought Wrath of Magnus showed TS sects or warband or whatever in the original legion colors.

I use some 30k color scheme models for 40k World Eaters, justify it fluff-wise by having one of the practices of my warband be to issue armor in the original legion colors to new inductii...it's up to them to get it dyed red the old fashioned way. If they live long enough, they'll end up with the classic red armor eventually...

I think Trevak Dal is suggesting that chaos should have more options (which should be clearly represented on the model) rather than being forced to actually quite a small number of options (although who is to say what the new edition will bring) as we have been of late.

There are plenty of reasons why it should be possible to mount baleflamers in the sponsons of a land raider, yet as of now we can't, even if we modelled them there. (Although I am totally doing this for my word bearers when I get around to it)

My iron warriors grand company have been raiding armourys and weapon caches stored away on worlds that the IWs conquered pre heresy. Stolen directly from the beast arises series

I'm so happy you mentioned that! That was one of my favorite parts of the series.

Archived