Primaris Marines Characters?

Hey there,

Just was wondering what do you think will happen with special characters if they indeed are planning to make the marines obsolete. Will they make new characters and throw away the charisma of our current ones or will they make a way for current marines to be able to be made into primaris marines?

This is not a place to complain about marines replaced or not!

Just wondering if you think they'll try to get their old characters that are so iconic and epic (Mephiston, Ragnar Blackmane, Calgar, etc) into this new scale or will they become relics of the past, destined to be outshone by the Primaris Special Characters?

Or, or, OR.

Have Primaris be basically children that have to be commanded by older Astartes. Aniki shenanigans ensue, and marines aren't squatted.

There could be several things:

1. Characters die - the story moves onwards so there might be some losses?

2. There is a chance of evolving 'old' marines into primaris marine (somebody tossed the idea around in the Ultramarine subforum).

There might be some other scenarios. :)

I suspect very strongly that somewhere along the line, a fluff explanation for characters getting "juiced" to Primaris level will come along.  At least, if the plan is in fact to shift old!Astartes out via planned obsolescence. 

It's possible, however, that NuMarines are Exactly What It Says On The Tin, just a supplementary model line rather than a superseding line, in which case we'll get NuCharacterMarines via various and sundry fluff sources. 

I'd say my own assumptions about likelihood are running about 70/30 in favor of option 1 right now...

If the potential to turn existing Astartes into Primaris Marines is introduced, I hope its in a similar vein to the conversion of older individuals into Legionaries during the Heresy - possible, but potentially lethal & even then, conversion isn't necessarily 100% effective.

While I doubt killing off major characters during conversion would be an option, it'd be a way to add some variability to existing Characters' stats with the new ruleset - 'normal' marine profiles, 'Primaris' marines profiles & hybrid profiles from partially-successful conversion.

Also a route for the buffing of existing unique Marine units - veterans who receive the partial Primaris treatment

I'm guessing there will be Primaris characters at some point but I honestly can't say if they will replace existing chapter masters and the like. The way things are going at the moment I wouldn't put it past them to start culling some of the older ones, maybe as an extreme long shot idea the existing ones may get upgraded to Primaris status using Ancient Technology™?

Oh I so hope they include the option of characters being able to be juiced up! The potential there for things go wrong is delicious!

Also, Lugft Huron was right all along! He wanted to do what Guilliman is doing right now!

#FreedomForLugft

Or, or, OR. Have Primaris be basically children that have to be commanded by older Astartes. Aniki shenanigans ensue, and marines aren't squatted.

Posting just because this image never gets old...

http://i.imgur.com/16sg1a8.jpg?1

The "upgrade option" revelation has turned my grudging acceptance of Primaris Astartes into full-blown eager anticipation. They're just so censored.gif ing pretty.

Edited to correct typo.

Do you think we will have new stats for the characters which represent them in their 'primaris' state when 8th edition hits? Or will we get updated rules for each character now, and then as they upgrade the models the new rules will be made available?

Do you think we will have new stats for the characters which represent them in their 'primaris' state when 8th edition hits? Or will we get updated rules for each character now, and then as they upgrade the models the new rules will be made available?

It's hard to say, but if I were to guess, we'd get them initially in their current, unaltered state.  Then, when the newer large-scale model update for a given character is released, we'll get an updated dataslate to represent the change.  Wouldn't make much sense to do it any other way.  Primaris stats for Primaris models.

I agree with you there, although I think existing marine upgrading to Primaris is a good idea I do agree it would make it more interesting to have some sort of conflict of interests even if like you say it's down to age. I'd have those that are opposed to change even if it is in the minority.

Give me a Primaris Helbrecth, Grimaldus and EC, and I will give it a go.

Primaris EC is either really easy or really hard, at least fluff-wise: you just need to have a Primaris get The Vision.

Now, whether or not a Primaris is worthy of receiving that vision from the Emperor, well, that's another question.

I feel like this could go the same way as the Clone Army in Star Wars. Every clone was breed to do a specific purpose in the army (As troopers, officers, commandos, pilots etc). The Primaris marines give me a similar feeling and was stated in yesterday's live Q&A. We could very well have Primaris Marines being like Echo and Fives who work their way up from raw recruits to ARC troopers (something that they all aspired to become). 

So I think its highly possible we'll get 'pure' Primaris characters, those who were initially breed to lead them and then those who prove themselves and rise through the ranks to become new heroes in their own right (which I really like the idea of).  Then we'll get those current characters who take the plunge and take the Primaris enhancements, for example Dante.  Or even new characters who became Primaris. 

Archived