Shield Wall! 3K IF SG list

K3nn3rs

I'm seeking some feedback on my 3000pts IF SG list, comments welcome!

HQ

Praetor in Terminator armour: Vigil Pattern storm shield; Paragon blade (master-crafted); digital lasers; 195

• 4 Chosen Terminators: 4× Vigil Pattern storm shield; 4× Chain fists; + 1 Terminator Standard Bearer (vigil Pattern storm shield; thunder hammer) 280

Primus Medicae in Terminator armour: Vigil Pattern storm shield; Solarite power gauntlet; 160

Troops

9 Breacher Space Marines: 2× graviton gun; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Breacher Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 280

9 Breacher Space Marines: 2× graviton gun; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Breacher Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 280

4 Reconnaissance Marines: + 1 Reconnaissance Sergeant 100

• Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

Elite

Apothecarion Detachment

• Apothecary: artificer armour; augury scanner 60

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon

• Contemptor Dreadnought: Dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun); Dreadnought chainfist (graviton gun); extra armour 220

2 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: quad launcher (shatter shells) 140

Heavy

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer: dozer blade 195

Spartan Assault Tank: armoured ceramite; flare shield; dozer blade 375

5 Heavy Support Marines: lascannons; + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour; remove lascannon; nuncio-vox & chainsword; augury scanner) 270

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Gun Emplacement with Quad-gun; Barricades; Barricades; Barricades; Ammo Store 150

2,975 points

I tend to stick the HQs and command squad into the Spartan and target the heaviest enemy unit.

Breachers (with apothercaries) bubble wrap the bunker, getting cover from the barricades. Despite the small size I tend to see these guys last most games (all be it few are alive!).

Lascannon HSS in the bunker with the Sgt manning the quad gun (which I try to cover the Spartans movement with).

Quads are a new addition, to mitigate the loss of the scorpius I usually run.

Contemptor is a new addition - I want to run him as I'm in the process of converting one with a breacher shield!

Recon squads are there for mobile disrupt and objective scorerers, cheap enough to loose without effecting the battle plan.

Thoughts?

Tweaked slightly:

HQ

Praetor in Terminator armour: Vigil Pattern storm shield; Paragon blade (master-crafted); digital lasers; 195

• 4 Chosen Terminators: 4× Vigil Pattern storm shield; 4× Chain fists; + 1 Terminator Standard Bearer (vigil Pattern storm shield; thunder hammer) 280

Primus Medicae in Terminator armour: Vigil Pattern storm shield; Solarite power gauntlet; 160

Troops

14 Breacher Space Marines: 3× Volkite charger; legion vexilla; + 1 Breacher Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs) 335

• Rhino: dozer blade; 40

• Rhino: dozer blade; 40

Elite

Apothecarion Detachment

• Apothecary: artificer armour; augury scanner; power sword 70

• Contemptor Dreadnought: Dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun); Dreadnought chainfist (graviton gun); extra armour 220

Heavy

5 Heavy Support Marines: lascannons; + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour; remove lascannon; nuncio-vox & chainsword; augury scanner) 270

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Gun Emplacement with Quad-gun; Barricades; Barricades; Barricades; Ammo Store 150

3000 points

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Captain Spud.

Recon squads are there as a cheap way of adding some mobile scoring units and unlock extra elite/ fast attack options. I find cheap / dispensable units fun to use to counter my opponents movement / firing arcs.

The idea of the Contemptor is point and click at enemy tanks, firing haywire on the way to strip off hull points and the let the chain fist do the rest.

Yet another tweak:

• 4 Chosen Terminators: Vigil Pattern storm shield; 4× Chain fists; + 1 Terminator Standard Bearer ( Vigil Pattern storm shield; chain fist) 280

14 Breacher Space Marines: 3× volkite charger; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Breacher Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist) 340

4 Reconnaissance Marines: melta bombs; + 1 Reconnaissance Sergeant 125

• Rhino: dozer blade 40

4 Reconnaissance Marines: melta bombs; + 1 Reconnaissance Sergeant 125

• Rhino: dozer blade 40

Apothecarion Detachment

2 Rapier Carriers: 2× graviton cannon 150

Whirlwind Scorpius 115

Aegis Defence Lines: Gun Emplacement with Quad-gun 100

3,000 points

Overall seems pretty good, looks like you have a solid line of breacher marines backed up by the rapiers so they can camp around your defense line.

Only thing I'd change is drop the recon squads, replace them with tacticals. Don't really see what those little 5 man squads can do, be better to have more bodies. Also the dread would be more useful if he had a ranged weapon arm.

Only thing I'd change is drop the recon squads, replace them with tacticals. Don't really see what those little 5 man squads can do, be better to have more bodies.

I think he's using them as objective grabbers since they scout. I'd probably take a small blob of vets or two with Marksmen instead in that case.

If not then sure force of bodies is more important.

Yeah tacticals can do that as well and they would be far more survivable than a tiny 5 man squad. Marksmen vets would also be a pretty good choice though since they'll do more than recon marines and can come onto the board later to grab objectives using outflank. Save them being shot at for at least a turn.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I can't take marksman vets as I'm maxed out on elite choices. They are also much more expensive then the recon sqd they'd be replacing. I'd also be out of ratio for troops: elite/ fast attack (an important limiting factor in SG lists).

Regarding recon sqds; they're there as relatively cheap troop choices to open up 2 x elite slots and add some mobile scoring. I've found if you keep your expectations low with them and just focus on using them correctly (mobile objective scorers/ rolling cover for the spartan/ closing down movement/ fire corridors for the enemy) then they become surprisingly effective. If the enemy destroys them then its combat power not directed against my main army. I'm thinking about dropping the melta bombs and reinvesting the 50pts elsewhere though.

The Contemptor is there really for 'rule of cool' (I've modelled him with a Breacher shield) so a ranged weapon won't work.

Good point about elites, completely forgot about that. 

I still think tacticals would serve better than recon marines especially in a fists list, but if they work for you I suppose they are worth it. I would move those 50pts elsewhere though, recon marines are unlikely to get a good chance to use those melta bombs anyway. Could always add in a couple more breachers with those pts, maybe make your second unit fifteen strong if you can find a couple more pts somewhere.  

Slight tweak:

• 4 Chosen Terminators: 4× Vigil Pattern storm shield; 4× Chain fists; + 1 Terminator Standard Bearer ( Vigil Pattern storm shield; chain fist) 280

Primus Medicae in Terminator armour: Vigil Pattern storm shield; Solarite power gauntlet; sonic shrieker 160

14 Breacher Space Marines: 3× graviton gun; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Breacher Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 370

9 Breacher Space Marines: 2× volkite charger; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Breacher Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 260

Apothecarion Detachment

• Apothecary: artificer armour; power sword; augury scanner 70

2 Rapier Carriers: 2× graviton cannon 150

Whirlwind Scorpius 115

Aegis Defence Lines: Gun Emplacement with Quad-gun 100

3,000 points

• 4 weeks later...

I have yes - ran him a few times in PotL lists.

I can't run him in this format as he doesn't unlock the terminator command squad.

Normal terminators aren't as good and aren't fearless, I also don't haven't the spare elite option.

I also try to stear clear of special characters as I paint my IF in the alternative black & yellow scheme so it doesn't fit fluff wise.

I do think SG is where Pollux is at his best, despite the loss of his special deep strike rule. T5, 3++ and a 5+ FnP makes up for his lack of 2+.

• 1 month later...

How are you modeling the primus medicae? I'm building one now for a similar list.

Is sonic shrieker a typo? I think that's empoerers children. Would he keep the needle pistol? If so then the power gauntlet would give an extra attack as he would have two close combat weapons.

Edited by Corwyn

I've used a 40K DA Indominatos terminator as a base then added grey knight apothecary bits to turn it into a primus medicae, I've also cut off the normal hack saw gubbins from an apothecaries gauntlet and added it underneath the power gauntlet.

The sonic shrieker is a typo; to get the points right on quarter master for a vigil pattern storm shield I use a dragon scale storm shield and a sonic shrieker (as I'm running this model as cataphractii)