*How* Should the Primarchs Return?

KiltedMarine

Corax is dead as far as I'm concerned, but then again the Raven Guard's Index Astartes is the only lore I choose to follow regarding their primarch. I believe he left his sons to atone for the monstrosities he created to rebuild his legion after the drop site massacre on Isstvan V, and I don't see him consider himself absolved of his crimes as long as he's alive. Yes, mere chaos space marines are most likely not enough for him to succeed his suicide by traitors, but do you really expect him to shy away from the daemon primarchs if he could locate one? No. No he wouldn't.

That said, if he were to come back - and I fully expect him to do so since MUHNEE - I don't want him to appear to save some of his sons. No, I want him to show Kayvaan Shrike understood his primarch perfectly. He won't swoop down to help imperial guardsmen and space marines hold the line; no, he'll descend from the heavens on wings of fire to save hapless worlds abandoned by the Imperium as acceptable casualties.

I think with Dorn all they found was his hand which kind of left it open as to whether he could return or not. I think the assumption was that the traitors tore his body apart after he fell but it was left to the imagination.

There are conflicting stories about what happened to Dorn, which seems exactly how someone who disappeared would want it to be.

My main concern is that the Primarchs shouldn't just come back as if they have been in Stasis for thousands of years, they have been somewhere doing something.  The stories of their return should reflect this.

I didnt read it, because every snippet and spoiler made the series look dire, but I do believe there is more than that Vulkan quote to Dorn being alive during the Beast series.

Its lame, but I'm 90% sure its there.

In my opinion, Primarchs should of been kept a 30k thing.  It was one of the cool things about the 30k setting - being able to explore the legions in their prime.

Now that we have 1 kicking around, a daemon prince hanging about with another one on his way, I'm now trying to come to terms with all of them returning at some point even the dead ones unfortunately.  It'll be something like a Forge world style - release 2-3 per year but they'll get there eventually.

edit: spellings and added quote

Going with the old Star Wars comparison chestnut.  George admits after the first two films there is no substance - described it himself as a circus.  Action figure sales were bringing in 3x the amount that the films were.

We had an outline and George [Lucas] changed everything in it,” he said. “Instead of bittersweet and poignant, he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn’t want any of the principals killed. By that time, there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.”

I'd only release Guilliman, Russ and the Lion, the three that either were sleeping or left on his own terms and gave a date of return, and his heralds are already back.

If you force me, I might add Vulkan, but only when all seems lost.

Right now, and as much as it's weird since the galaxy is split in two, yadda yadda chaos, it does not feel like a dire situation with Guilliman and the primaris marines.

Simple: they should be brought back in a manner that's consistent with their absence up 'til now. If it's 'cause they were dead then they stay dead. Injured/in stasis/whatever then you need to convincongly write why all of sudden they recover/can come out of stasis and why that wasn't possible for the last 10,000 years. Simply missing? How does a PRIMARCH stay simply missing? It's a big galaxy but they'd have to be on planets unknown to or untouched by the Imperium.

They should have put Fenris and the Rock to the north as well. Russ and Lion would return ,forming a war council together with Dante ,Kardan Stronos,Helbrecht and a few more. RG on the other hand would get a Dreadnought Dorn and a little bit mentally unstable Khan/Vulkan with Konrad acting completely independent.

Russ and Lion would then help defend Baal from the Tyranids after which it would be declared as the de-facto capital ,and because of the primarchs and chapters stranded on the other side the Imperial Truth would also have a comeback .The legions may also be reformed and some chapters even allowed to turn into legions (Black Templars ). Of course everything would not be rosy because various xeno empires would be chipping on the Dark Imperium on all sides . Necrons in south ,Tyranids from all sides and constant terrors coming from the Ghoul Stars . Also the brothers would have a constant disagreement whether they should entirely concentrate on stabilizing the Dark Imperium or going for Terra.

When the two imperiums finally get into full contact a conflict would arise in whose way is the right way.

They should have put Fenris and the Rock to the north as well. Russ and Lion would return ,forming a war council together with Dante ,Kardan Stronos,Helbrecht and a few more. RG on the other hand would get a Dreadnought Dorn and a little bit mentally unstable Khan/Vulkan with Konrad acting completely independent.

Russ and Lion would then help defend Baal from the Tyranids after which it would be declared as the de-facto capital ,and because of the primarchs and chapters stranded on the other side the Imperial Truth would also have a comeback .The legions may also be reformed and some chapters even allowed to turn into legions (Black Templars ). Of course everything would not be rosy because various xeno empires would be chipping on the Dark Imperium on all sides . Necrons in south ,Tyranids from all sides and constant terrors coming from the Ghoul Stars . Also the brothers would have a constant disagreement whether they should entirely concentrate on stabilizing the Dark Imperium or going for Terra.

When the two imperiums finally get into full contact a conflict would arise in whose way is the right way.

I agree, Baal as Capital, Fenris are the FOB for the rift incursions. 

To bad =/

-----

I would've done it this way, ON RG's side its all the stable astartes and geneseeds, no mutations.

the other side would've been the geneseed with flaws. The imperium of monsters, vampires, werewolves, corzax mutants and the like.

and it turns out its the other sides of the geneseed which end up saving the imperium not the "perfect human". 

I agree, Baal as Capital, Fenris are the FOB for the rift incursions. 

To bad =/

-----

I would've done it this way, ON RG's side its all the stable astartes and geneseeds, no mutations.

the other side would've been the geneseed with flaws. The imperium of monsters, vampires, werewolves, corzax mutants and the like.

and it turns out its the other sides of the geneseed which end up saving the imperium not the "perfect human". 

I would have gone for the Dark Imperium being more decentralized ( ruled by a council ) and resembling the old imperium ( imperial truth,and tech innovation spearheaded by the IH and DA mostly in space voyage now they can't see the astronomicon ) with reformed legions, although beset by all sides and having a bad reputation because it is on the other side and most of the population are seen as monsters.

While the Imperium proper is far more centralized under RG who has complete control with Dreagnought Dorn and crazy Khan/Vulkan acting more as his generals than brothers. And although winning the war he is not reforming the Imperium but  the imperium is reforming him ,making him more and more religious.

And there is no salvation only war.

If the Khan returns, there is a scene that has to happen:

Khan: "I tire of crude wheels. Bring me a jetbike."

Flunkey: "A jetbike, lord?"

Khan: "Is that a problem?"

The highest spire of Olympus Mons. The Khan dangles the Fabricator-General by his ankles.

With Dorn there is conflicting canon. Some sources say the Fists have his skeletal hand, others say they have his entire skeleton.

It gets even worse.  They only found those remains after the battle, with no guarantee that it actually was Dorn.

If the Khan returns, there is a scene that has to happen:

Khan: "I tire of crude wheels. Bring me a jetbike."

Flunkey: "A jetbike, lord?"

Khan: "Is that a problem?"

The highest spire of Olympus Mons. The Khan dangles the Fabricator-General by his ankles.

That's assuming he wasn't riding a tricked out Dark Eldar jet bike that he stole from Cummorogh.

Vulkan was said to have weapons and creations that could turn the tide of war or torch worlds.

To me having him return may give the Imperium a fighting chance if he decides things are dire enough for him to reinvent some of his wonders.

Vulkan was said to have weapons and creations that could turn the tide of war or torch worlds.

To me having him return may give the Imperium a fighting chance if he decides things are dire enough for him to reinvent some of his wonders.

The point of Grim-Dark, which is now over, is that the Imperium only had a fighting chance in it's current form, a byzantine callous bureaucratic empire raging against the encroaching darkness to protect the species, to no other end than survival

with the current writing, there's not much left interesting in the setting

Lion El'Johnson should return carrying The Black Book of Pain and Super Deep Thoughts Nobody Can Understand. He then takes this into the heart of Abaddon's forces and begins to read it. The anguish of the poetry is too much for the forces of Chaos to bear and they all commit suicide.

Lion then disowns his Chapter for "selling out" and adopting modern armour and a non-black paint scheme. Sulking, he declares the Consecrators are the real Dark Angels and spends the rest of eternity hanging out with them, drinking coffee, and muttering about how much the Imperium sucks. 

Alpharius/Omegron: We don't even know if Alpharius IS dead, and Omegron for certain is still alive and kicking- and given that literally every single Alpha Legionnaire embodies the Primarch completely, there's almost no need to bring them back. The entire point of the Alpha Legion is that they don't have a big centrepiece leader- they have Alpharius, and they are ALL Alpharius.

This is actually why I think they should release an Alpharius model - after all, the Alpha Legion is known for having had the ability to have their Marines impersonate their Primarch, so I feel like GW could just play that up.  Alpha Legion might not need a big centerpiece leader, but I can't help but feel like they are smart enough to recognize the huge impact one could have on enemy morale.

Especially if seven of them popped up at all once across the current sector.

This is actually why I think they should release an Alpharius model - after all, the Alpha Legion is known for having had the ability to have their Marines impersonate their Primarch, so I feel like GW could just play that up.  Alpha Legion might not need a big centerpiece leader, but I can't help but feel like they are smart enough to recognize the huge impact one could have on enemy morale.

Triumvirate of Alpharius. Three models, all Alpharius (or maybe one of them is Omegon).

And naturally, none of them is the real Alpharius.

Why give the enemy one chance out of seven to kill him when he can give them no chance at all?

(Shadowsun understood that very well when she decided to deal with Corvin Severax.)

And naturally, none of them is the real Alpharius.

Why give the enemy one chance out of seven to kill him when he can give them no chance at all?

(Shadowsun understood that very well when she decided to deal with Corvin Severax.)

Of course.  Many Heads of the Hydra, after all~

I just hope Dorn takes off his centurion helmet and reveals it was him all along.

Hope someone gets that reference...

Of course! And I could live with that :D

But I want a bearded, grey, badass Russ like the ITEHTrom the the series aswell.

Really sorry about Alpharius but if you listen to the Imperial Truth last chapter you'll hear John French stating clearly all fan theories about Alpharius are wrong and he is, simply, dead.

Like that will stop the Alpharius fans who want him alive. Word of god never stopped the fandom, especially not in this "nothing is true, everything is canon" universe.

I've heard horror stories about the shippers of Avatar and Harry Potter, though these had the doubtful bonus of shipping craze.

Archived