Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

8th Edition: Close Combat Weapons

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

I think you guys need to reread it:

"You also can’t shoot if there is an enemy with 1″ of you. The exception to this rule is pistols. Models with these hand-held firearms can shoot at the closest enemy target in the Shooting phase, even if they themselves are locked in combat!"

That indeed states they are an exception to the rule of not shooting into combat.

I think you need to read all of it tho.

It's an exception to shoot while you are IN combat (if there is an enemy with 1" of you) with the additional restriction that you have to shoot at the closest enemy target...which would be the unit you are in close combat with since it's impossible to be any closer.

Nowhere it says with any word that they can shoot into any other combat.

"You also can't shoot if there is an enemy with 1" of you"

- Check. Doesn't matter since you are talking about shooting into combat not out of combat.

"The exception to this rule is pistols"

- Doesn't matter either since the previous part doesn't matter as we just noted.

"Models with these hand-held firearms can shoot at the closest enemy target in the shooting phase,"

- Check. Any model can shoot at the closest enemy target in the shooting phase no matter the weapon. It also still references about not being allowed to shoot while you are within 1" of an enemy. Nothing here overwrites the core rule of not being allowed to shoot into combat generally. Just while you are within 1" of an enemy unit.

"even if they themselves are locked in combat"

- Doesn't matter since you are talking about shooting into combat and not out of combat.

So where exactly does your quoted part allow pistols to shoot into a combat they aren't part of? The only thing it says is that they are allowed to shoot pistols while locked in combat with the restriction that their target has to be the closest enemy unit (which is obviously the one they are in combat with).

Edited by sfPanzer, 20 May 2017 - 12:25 PM.

• Legionaire of the VIIth likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,406 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
It states that "The exception to this rule is pistols. Models with these hand-held firearms can shoot at the closest enemy target in the Shooting phase, even if they themselves are locked in combat!"

It's fairly simple:

The exception is pistols - okay we know they are an exception.

The following states - models with pistols can shoot at the closest enemy target in the shooting phase.

That's pretty conclusive.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

Yeah it says "TO THIS RULE". This rule is "You also can't shoot if there is an enemy with 1" of you."

That just means you can shoot OUT of combat but with not a single word it means you could shoot INTO another combat.

The following just states the restriction that it has to be the closest unit. Which is of course the unit you are in combat with unless you somehow manage to have a unit closer than 1" without being in combat with it. rolleyesclean.gif 

Not sure how one can misread that. Feels almost like you are doing that on purpose. huh.png

Edited by sfPanzer, 20 May 2017 - 12:33 PM.

• Legionaire of the VIIth likes this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,406 posts
Same here...

We'll see then.

Venomlust

Venomlust

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,249 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede

Dunno, no references have directly been made to being able to shoot into ongoing combats by anyone other than the participants using pistols. Pretty sure I saw a GW comment on facebook saying units can't shoot into ongoing combats they're not a part of, but don't have the time (or inclination :P) to look it up, so take that for what you will. Nor have Frankie, Reese, or anyone else mentioned being able to shoot into combats. For what it's all worth.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

So far you're the only one i've seen who interprets the rule the exact other way around so i'm farely sure i'm on the right side. :P

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,406 posts
I don't mind either way. But consider it is a game of simplification. It's likely all or nothing.

Retributis

Retributis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,392 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Sons of Penance

I wonder what eviscerators are going to be? Chainsword profile with D3 damage?

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,821 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart
Evicerator a have Armourbane currently, so I'm thinking they'll probably get the "roll 2 pick highest" for damage. I doubt they'll give an extra attack, but you never know. I'd expect them to keep their Sx2 and probably AP-3 or -4. If they don't it's going to make my Canoness very sad. And Repentia.
  • TheFinisher4Ever likes this

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,648 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
Well...

I'm assuming guard will get 4+ to hit in melee and shootng... so power fists will only hit on a 5+ for them... so I don't expect to see any more fists in the guard than I do already...

teutonicavenger

teutonicavenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,897 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard
Kinda sad about powerfists having -1 hit I think I'll be changing all my champs weapons to axes instead

Where Monsters Tread: A Chymeriae Warband
UPDATED 05/02/17

ETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg
May the Gods have mercy upon me

Antarius

Antarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 723 posts
I'm not quite sure if I'm following the discussion re:shooting into combat, but GW pretty much said you can't back when they were talking about withdrawing from combat, didn't they? I seem to recall that they mentioned withdrawing from combat so your other units could shoot at the newly unengaged enemy.

"The Bolter is the truth. It is the gift given to us by the Emperor for our valour. With it we are whole. Without it we are diminished." - Book of Aphael, verse 42.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

I'm not quite sure if I'm following the discussion re:shooting into combat, but GW pretty much said you can't back when they were talking about withdrawing from combat, didn't they? I seem to recall that they mentioned withdrawing from combat so your other units could shoot at the newly unengaged enemy.

Yeah but his argument is that Pistols are an exception of that which is nowhere mentioned with any word or phrase. The only exception Pistols have is shooting out of combat and they're restricted by having to shoot at the closest enemy unit anyway. ^^

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,303 posts
I'm still feeling like powerful pistols may be wasted in combat (unless you have ways to keep the enemy locked) as you charge, deal damage, then the opponent just falls back and you don't get your free in combat shot. Though I guess you shoot them next turn anyway?

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.pngCE%20Sep_zps3s8x9ggk.jpg

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,908 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion (Night Blades)

Kinda sad about powerfists having -1 hit I think I'll be changing all my champs weapons to axes instead

Well, you can do that, but consider this.

Now in 7th, your most probable opponent is going to be hit on a 4+. Your champs will hit on a 4+ (unless they are zerkers or other ws5+ guys then maybe a 3+), and you go last.

If you are challenged (and aren't chaos) and don't accept, that 25 points does nothing. Or, you so challenge and get punked by ap2 at initiative or a guy with lightning claws, that 25 points is a waste.

In 8th...well no challenge so all Csms breathe a collective sigh of relief for that narrative having been forced for the last time.

But your guy with the powerfist will swing with all your guys and still at 4+. Not bad I think.
  • Raven1, Brother Stobz, Quixus and 3 others like this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

I'm still feeling like powerful pistols may be wasted in combat (unless you have ways to keep the enemy locked) as you charge, deal damage, then the opponent just falls back and you don't get your free in combat shot. Though I guess you shoot them next turn anyway?

Depends I guess. If your only other options are weapons that won't let you charge&shoot they aren't wasted at all. It could also be a way to force a unit to fall back since otherwise they might decide to stay in combat and bind your unit as well.

Lysere

Lysere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,438 posts
  • Chapter Name: Templar Order, Void Hunters

Pretty sure they mentioned something about getting to shoot units that try and fallback or something. Pistols might still have some use there.

Also pistols feel like they're more for armies that don't do the charging but get charged instead to allow them to better hold their ground.
ETL_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A_zpscbc6fekJirQ.gifsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

Pretty sure they mentioned something about getting to shoot units that try and fallback or something.

No, they haven't so far.

Lysere

Lysere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,438 posts

Pretty sure they mentioned something about getting to shoot units that try and fallback or something.

No, they haven't so far.

Just double checked and actually yes they have. Part of the movement article in fact.
ETL_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A_zpscbc6fekJirQ.gifsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

Venomlust

Venomlust

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,249 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede

No, they haven't so far.

Just double checked and actually yes they have. Part of the movement article in fact.

That's the impression I got based on the wording in that article, but it hasn't been mentioned in any other context. I figured I was probably wrong. We'll see!

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

No, they haven't so far.

You mean this part?

"If you're in combat at the start of your turn, you can Fall Back bymoving away from the enemy. You'll lose the ability to advance, shoot or charge that turn, and crucially, enemies will be able to shoot you!"

That could just as well mean that the enemy can shoot you since you aren't locked in combat anymore. And that's the way I (and most other) interpret the article it seems. As long as GW doesn't tell us that we can shoot at an enemy the instant they decide to fall back I don't believe it's possible.

• Magpie Knight likes this

uberwolve

uberwolve

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Deleted.

It's funny to me. Your looking at it as if you've assaulted and they want to leave. Look at it as if you've been assaulted and you don't want to leave. 
I'm considering vets with Power Swords, plasma pistols and if it's allowed combie flamers.  And maybe one or two guys with storm shields to stand around and make saves.  If that's a unit I'm able to build via the rules.  

I think there was a question about units in combat shooting their pistols into the enemy unit that engaged them. That seems to have been confirmed in the transport article.

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Destroy what you enjoy!

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,479 posts
  • Chapter Name: Grey Knights
I did not read that as I get to shoot as they fallback.
I read that as the enemy loses further actions that turn, but I suffer no penalties such as point blank shooting my turn.

We shall see though I guess!

Lysere

Lysere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,438 posts

No, they haven't so far.

You mean this part?

"If you're in combat at the start of your turn, you can Fall Back bymoving away from the enemy. You'll lose the ability to advance, shoot or charge that turn, and crucially, enemies will be able to shoot you!"

That could just as well mean that the enemy can shoot you since you aren't locked in combat anymore. And that's the way I (and most other) interpret the article it seems. As long as GW doesn't tell us that we can shoot at an enemy the instant they decide to fall back I don't believe it's possible.

Considering that you fall back in your own movement phase that seems weird to point out unless the unit you fall back from gets to do something but we shall see.

Either way pistols will still feel like a good choice for units that want to stay in combat even if charged and since the costs of pistols seems to be going down they should be much better than before.

Baluc

Baluc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 687 posts
The confusion is you are discussing someone speaking on rules. And, you know not the rules themselves.

It be like currently someone said you can "shoot a unit within the range of your guns." There is like 7 more rules needed to actually play the game.

I doubt you will be able to shoot into combat. About 100% certain you cannot, that is a big change and it would have come up. And, the off hand comment about shooting units that have fallen back is definitely not a rule.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users