Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Glaive Encarmine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Calistarius

Calistarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels/Death Guard
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've been tackling the daunting task of painting up my SG units in hopes they'll be elite again in 8th. I've done some reading and can't find a solid description of the appearance of these relic weapons when in use. I decided to go with a red glow instead of the traditional blue of common power weapons, and wanted to see what you all thought!
IMG_1033.jpg
I know I'm not that great. I blame shaky hands 😝
  • Grazcruzk, DarKnight, Arkangilos and 2 others like this

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." - Frank Costello

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,979 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders
Looks good! I did a red effect for mine, too. Ours are made to look like power weapons, but I preferred the look of Sanguinius's red sword and decided the red looked better

Previously known as Telanicus

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen The Chosen of the Unholy Imperium of Cane.

gallery_29004_10383_20021.jpg

Calistarius

Calistarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts
That's what I was aiming for as well!

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." - Frank Costello

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,169 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels
Haven't seen that before. What was your recipe? As for the model, don't make excuses as there's nought wrong with it :)
  • Calistarius likes this

halzet

halzet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts

I'm going for red on black on my power weapons, though with the tip of the blade being red instead.

Looks a more menacing than 'yet another blue sword.' :)

• Calistarius likes this

Calistarius

Calistarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

Haven't seen that before. What was your recipe? As for the model, don't make excuses as there's nought wrong with it :)

I appreciate you saying so! It's just a base of P3's Pig Iron then followed by Citadel's Spirit stone red at the power supply/hilt blended to a fade of Bloodletter glaze.

Calistarius

Calistarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

The more I look at it the more it looks like blood to me.  I don't necessarily have an issue with that, given they're used by Sanguinary Guard.  I usually use Blood for the Blood God for a  blood effect on chainswords etc.  Anyways, I like the idea of the blood red glow being a result of channeling the Great Angel's fury. 

Father Mapple

Father Mapple

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 691 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Suns
I think adding a rich of pink and white right around and then on the power lines in the sword might give it a more if a glow effect rather than just the red.

Otherwise, great idea and it looks good!
  • Calistarius likes this

Calistarius

Calistarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

I think adding a rich of pink and white right around and then on the power lines in the sword might give it a more if a glow effect rather than just the red.

Otherwise, great idea and it looks good!

I was actually considering this.  Its good to have some other input as well.  Do you think blending to orange and then a dot of white would be sufficient?

Father Mapple

Father Mapple

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 691 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Suns
That's a different blend to go with, but will look good too. Orange is more actual "getting got" type of color choice, and the pink and white makes me think neon or electric. So orange would be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users