Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New sub-forum dedicated to 'Pre-gatheirng storm'?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 154 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Castellans

I'd like to tentatively suggest a new sub-forum dedicated to 'Pre-gathering Storm' 40K.

Whilst 8th edition hasn't been released yet I think that it is already abundantly clear that it is going to be a very different setting from the one were used to. We can (and have been) arguing about the pros and cons of this but I think that we also have to accept that Games Workshop has made its decision. 

I think that a new Sub-forum could be a great place for people who feel left out by the changes to the setting. The Horus Heresy has operated in a similar fashion for years and I'd propose something similar?

Edited by Master Commander Ajax, 19 May 2017 - 09:27 PM.

• Space Truckin likes this

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,821 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart
While I'm not sure it's strictly nessessary, or that the B&C has any sort of obligation to open such a sub forum, I personally would appreciate such a place. It would be nice to be able to discuss my preferred fluff in a forum where that view was the focus of the forum.

Certainly, it's up the the Moderators and Administrators as to whether such a forum should exist, but I am definately in favor if its creation. I think it could be an asset to the B&C as a community.

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,226 posts
  • Chapter Name: Annoyed Englishmen

If we start going down that route, everyone and their mother will want pre-etc and so on.

Edited by Olis, 21 May 2017 - 06:11 PM.

• IronDrake28 likes this

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age." ~ The Call of Cthulhu, H. P. Lovecraft

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,821 posts

If we start going down that route, everyone and their mother will want pre-etc and so on.

First off, I'm not upset about anything. I'm not complaining that I can't talk about 40K on the B&C anymore or anything, because I still can and such a complaint would be ridiculous.

I was simply saying that if there is interest, I think I would enjoy participating in a forum focused on the fluff as it stood before the release of the Fall of Cadia.

Just to reiterate, I don't somehow feel that the B&C is in any way obligated to create such a forum, or that I can't enjoy posting on the B&C without such a forum. I was simply voicing my support for a suggestion that I think I would be a positive opportunity for members, if handled correctly.

Edited by Olis, 21 May 2017 - 06:11 PM.
Quote edited

deathspectersgt7

deathspectersgt7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,501 posts
  • Chapter Name: deathspectres,Hammers of Dorn

By Mohameds shaggy beard why not  Isinfier  ? It would be up to the Mods and amin to say ya or nay. The Frater was making a resonable suggestion. Not everyone likes most of the new stuff. 

gallery_70393_10089_14134.png     gallery_45765_11559_21519.png

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 154 posts

The changes currently taking place are almost unprecedented. I think it's at a point where it can be argued that they constitute a fundamental change in the setting. I'm simply putting it out there that a new subforum might be a good way of resolving some of the issues people have?

Edited by Olis, 21 May 2017 - 06:12 PM.
Quote and reply edited

• Space Truckin likes this

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,212 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vultures
This isn't likely to happen. We've never had a section for a previous edition of the game.

We've always rolled with changes from edition to edition. The board populace has always followed.

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!

The Universe is a very big place and no matter what happens....you will not be missed.

Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Space Truckin

Space Truckin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels

I like the idea.

We can always use the Other Games section right?    Maybe come up with an appropriate tag for our posts that won't invite inflammatory comments like 'suck it up'.  rolleyesclean.gif

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity 

my black legion wip in case I forget it   

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,814 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stoneburners
That's not really the point of the Other Games forum from what I understand. You can always use appropriate tags in the regular forums and it should be fine. Make it clear what you are talking about in post and people will need to post on topic due to board rules.

Edited by Bryan Blaire, 20 May 2017 - 02:47 AM.

My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,821 posts
Perhaps, since we're talking fluff, such a thread would fit in the Liber. That way it's not hidden in one faction forum or another.

IronDrake28

IronDrake28

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,501 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Ultramarines
You might not like the new stuff, but there's thousands of years of history to play in. One story that's getting the focus at the moment doesn't erase everything else. I don't want to see this community segregated just because some people don't like part of the story.

Again that's 'story' not 'setting'. The gathering storm is just one story in the 40k setting, which hasn't changed.
  • Brother Antipodes, Dosjetka, Olis and 1 other like this

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 154 posts

You might not like the new stuff, but there's thousands of years of history to play in. One story that's getting the focus at the moment doesn't erase everything else. I don't want to see this community segregated just because some people don't like part of the story.

Again that's 'story' not 'setting'. The gathering storm is just one story in the 40k setting, which hasn't changed. 

It's a 'Story' which has changed key concepts of the 40k 'setting'. I don't want to get into another debate about that in itself, I'm just floating the idea as a way of resolving some of the grievances people have. If it's a bad idea that people aren't interested in then no worries.

Radiation

Radiation

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 220 posts
  • Chapter Name: + Doom Slayers +

Warhammer 39k 

Space Truckin

Space Truckin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels
Legacy 40k?

Similar to age of darkness. Different rules, different setting within the timeline

Edited by Space Truckin, 20 May 2017 - 01:14 PM.

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity 

my black legion wip in case I forget it   

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,821 posts
Nah, I'm going to keep playing the current edition.

And since I don't like the new fluff, I don't see why I should say "I'm playing slightly before she present in the timeline" rather than just saying that all the new fluff isn't part of my headcanon and never happened at all :P

Anyway, that's off topic. I don't actually expect a new forum. And the point about actually dividing the community is a valid one. I just thought it was an interesting idea to consider.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,511 posts
  • Chapter Name: The VIIth Legion

Kurgan said it really nicely, but I'll be blunt.

No, we're not going to do this.

The only area in which anyone needs to post things related to the pre-current editions is with regard to rules, and it's a simple matter of prefacing any question with which edition of the rules you're using. Aside from that, with the exception of the Age of Darkness/Horus Heresy, there's no need for a special category or forum related to any particular periods of the game setting.

• Brother Arkley, Servant of Dante and Isinfier like this

gallery_26_548_2975.gif
gallery_26_548_8659.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users