Primaris Marines are the new Marine & Meta standard!

Grimtooth

Who knows, maybe they need a bigger brain and the addon organs arent huge. I'm sure you could find a ficitonal handwave reason if you really wanted :D

Regardless, the proportion thing doesnt bother me like it does you, I love the space marine range of models with few exceptions!

Hey maybe, who knows. They do need that tasty organ to retrieve memories via cannibalism.

http://cdn.acfrg.com/i/0_0_fit_ffffff__png/ACfrG/productpics_fullsize/3/321624a2-emp.jpg
"I learn by eating!"

On a side note, I love marines and have so many too, the oldest ones around 22 years old! I'm just all too sure they will stop looking good as soon as my brain gets used to looking at the new marines, but ah well, change is good.

Also and just for clarity I'm not obsessed with 8 feet monster marines! In my head cannon, space marines are larger than average humans sure, but for me they range from "LeBron James" to "Shaquille O'Neal".

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/91547326_zpsy34t65gj.jpg

Guy in the left is Mo Williams (185cm /  6'1'') who is significantly taller than the average height in Europe(177.6cm / 5'10'').

EDIT: Images added

Just wait until you see the first conversions to FW legion upgrade helmets and shoulder pads. I recon I'll :cuss my pants and start a new chapter.

They must look absolutely epic with the UM praetorian helmets and aquila shoulders from the suzerain.

Just wait until you see the first conversions to FW legion upgrade helmets and shoulder pads. I recon I'll censored.gif my pants and start a new chapter.

They must look absolutely epic with the UM praetorian helmets and aquila shoulders from the suzerain.

The new 30K Primaris marketing tagline will sound something like: "Make your Legion stand head and shoulders above the rest"

Yeah that would probably look good, sounds like a Primaris honour guard squad for Roboute Gulliman.

I bet the dark angels helmets will look good on mk10 as well, they look great on marks 2, 3, 4 and 7

Just wait until you see the first conversions to FW legion upgrade helmets and shoulder pads. I recon I'll censored.gif my pants and start a new chapter.

The new 30K Primaris marketing tagline will sound something like: "Make your Legion stand head and shoulders above the rest"

But would you hear DEAL WITH IT then.whistlingW.gif

Well, having seen the launch announcement for 8th, i am a bit more convinced now that GW will not be phasing out regular marines.  With the new units shown the primaris are looking even more distinct as a force. For me they are a distinct type of marine that sits alongside the other space marine types.

Those new primaris assault marine though, they look ridiculous :lol: Centurion level bad!

Well, having seen the launch announcement for 8th, i am a bit more convinced now that GW will not be phasing out regular marines. With the new units shown the primaris are looking even more distinct as a force. For me they are a distinct type of marine that sits alongside the other space marine types.

Those new primaris assault marine though, they look ridiculous :lol: Centurion level bad!

And I am now even more convinced that they will be phased out with the details of the box set. As I said earlier, take all announcements into context;

The transport teaser let us know that there is basicaly no more dedicated transports and that units can now share transports. So everyone saying that Tactical Squads were going to be so much more flexible than an Intercessor Squad due to a heavy weapon and one special weapon are now looking at an Intercessor and Hellblaster squad embarked in the same transport, each unit being able to split fire or all together, assault separately or all together, with the only loss being a single heavy weapon shot.

I amend my topic, the Primaris Marine is not only the new Marine standard but the new meta standard!

now looking at an Intercessor and Hellblaster squad embarked in the same transport, each unit being able to split fire or all together, assault separately or all together, with the only loss being a single heavy weapon shot.

Except those two squads don't act as one unit and therefore Battleshock tests will hit them harder.   5 Primaris Marines, with lower LD and complete lack of tactical versatility *and* lack of useful power-weapon support for close combat makes them completely different as a unit, even if you huddle a Hellblaster squad near them.

You're also discounting that the "new" Meta was playtested over 18 months and all worked on at the same time - *everything* is the new standard of Meta.  People are also able to use their Space Marine armies as normal, so they're still going to be the most saturated army you face, if you want to look at the standard meta you'll be seeing.

The Inceptors, if anything, point at this being a very different army - they're not just replacing Assault Marines, but it looks to be a new flavor we've not seen before.

I still think the scale is going to be replaced eventually, but thats an entirely different thing. :)

And I just had a thought how GW is going to implement the Primaris "upgrade" to standard Marines that will save everyone's old Marine models while still making them part of the game.

Every single SM army is going to get the Primaris "upgrade". By upgrade, I do not mean that army wide every unit and model is going to be one of the new Primaris Marines. Instead the upgrade is going to be reflected in the new rules written for SM in 8th edition that will lift them up a few notches so they at least fit within the new system designed around Primaris Marines.

The fluff will be something along the lines of that the old Marines are incapable of fully becoming Primaris Marines, but instead will become Primaris "Light". Primaris Light will probably consist of some minor stats changes, maybe a new Mark of armor, and some upgrades to basic weapons.

This means there will no longer be a standard Marine as we know it. We will have Primaris Marines and Primaris Light Marines. This also will work with the individual chapters meaning you will still have GH packs, same size as now, but with Primaris Light stats rules.

So old players that do not like the new Primaris still play their old armies, albeit with Primaris Light upgrade. People that want to play Primaris, play them as is with the new models. The downside? No Primaris <insert chapter> armies.

OP, please consider the following food for thought:

Writing on the wall that is wait and see, even now, is actually rather important, insomuch as there arguably is no writing on the wall yet. Put another way, we, those outside GW HQ, do not yet know what exactly GW's internal plans are for SM when compared to PSM. The reason? They might still be trying to feel out their clientele, their customers, to see how this is going over, right now.

I would love to use PSM with GH pack style weapons loadouts; however, that appears to not be the case. Also, in my current list, my Elites slots are very hard to free more than one squad up for a PSM unit, of any type. The problem is that, overall, again, I don't know if GW even has everything figured out yet.

While SM armies may one day be phased out, a decade is a LONG time; between now and a possible then, please, don't let your own thoughts steal your own joy in life. Life is what we each make of it, and, if you want to play your regular SW's, do so. If you would rather not play your SW army, do that, instead.

The key here is the hobby should be fun; when it is not, see what it takes to make it fun again, for you. If that seems to not be possible in the foreseeable future, take a break.

There are many options, some appear to be more to taste for you than others; always pick what you need to pick to have the most fun, long term. If that is what you are doing here, then more power to you, OP.

Didn't they already release rules showing the non-Primaris marines stayed the way they are? They're still Tactical Marines and such.

I have seen no Tactical Squad rules in any of the articles.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/

Holy smokes they are going to be pathetic if not upgraded via a Primaris mechanic. Looking at the Deathguard and Rubric information coming out, Tacticals do not match up in the least and are going to be relegated to just cleaning Primaris bolt rifles and polishing the MK X armor after battles!

Holy smokes they are going to be pathetic if not upgraded via a Primaris mechanic. Looking at the Deathguard and Rubric information coming out, Tacticals do not match up in the least and are going to be relegated to just cleaning Primaris bolt rifles and polishing the MK X armor after battles!

Chaos Legion marines are *supposed* to be able to rip a normal Astartes to pieces.  They're 10,000 years old and pumped full of the powers of the warp.  They're the big evil in 40k and need the strength in game to show that.  Its just sad that for the past 7 editions that Chaos is repeatedly given rules that barely match their fluff strength.

661e6677f6934688b24ae925dae7d7a2.png

Hopefully this'll help things for you, too - the Primaris marine is bigger than the Deathguard, who is more similarly sized to a normal MKIII plastic marine (not the MKIV shown, which is smaller).  This gives me some hope that Primaris will remain their own thing for the foreseeable future.

You have this curious mix of old facts with new to make your point. The fact that Plague Marines had cult status before and were thus elevated above is old news. They are their own Faction now and are the standard Troop choice for it and yet blow the SM standard Troop choice away. Unless there is a CSM with Mark of Nigel's Troop choice we haven't seen yet that better matches up to our SM, they are boned.

And TS are supposed to be same size as Nurgle are they not? I haven't seen that comparison yet. Must be all that dust making them bigger than standard Marines.

They seemed to start a new scale with Deathwatch and MKIII Iron Armour plastics.  The 2015 and MKIV releases are both smaller than those.  With any luck - I think GW have already hit the new scale stride now Rubrics and Deathguard are similar as well. :)

Are the BoP plastic MK III really that much larger? I was under the impression they were beefier like the plastic Mk IV but I never knew they were scaled up like the DW.

At least now I know not to use the plastic Mk III bits except with other larger plastic parts, since the FW resin parts are quite a bit smaller.

I wouldn't fret about actually losing your old army. When they rescaled terminators, you could still play with your old metal smaller ones. I do think GW is genuine in you being able to use your old models, just with whatever rules it takes to make your army all have the Primaris stat line.

And FYI, article on mentions the difference between terminators and Primaris being better armor. Better armor is represented by the ability to protect against a wider range of weapons. An additional wound does not represent better protection against a wider range of weaponry. Which article released the terminator data sheet?

Exactly.

If you want to give 5  bolters or 5 plasma rifles to the current marine models and run them as Intercessor or Hellblaster squads, then do it. Most people aren't going to care. Tournaments may be different, but as long as the bases are updated...........

Just make sure your opponent knows what you are playing.

Are the BoP plastic MK III really that much larger? I was under the impression they were beefier like the plastic Mk IV but I never knew they were scaled up like the DW.

At least now I know not to use the plastic Mk III bits except with other larger plastic parts, since the FW resin parts are quite a bit smaller.

7edce146cf524b95bb499a028834550d.png

I had to cut the codpiece off the upgrade kit to get it to fit. Luckily the shoulderpads cover up things looking a little awkward. :)

Q: How can Primaris marines be the new meta/standard/yardstick when you keep comparing them to a regular marine?

Oooh, paradox.

A: They can't. Any time you use a non primaris marine as a baseline to show how primaris are better, you reinforce that regular marines are the baseline.

Archived