Techmarines as sergeants?

Token

If you use the standard armybuilding list thiningy, the one with 2 troop choises, hq and such, you can have 6 techmarines, as Iron Hands. What if you use these techmarines like sergeants? Attaching them to walking infantry and perhaps bikes. For the points you get a modell better then sergeants i think, Ld10 2 wounds 2+ save and a weapon better then a powerfist, as it is ap1. And they can go repair their razorback if they ride in such, or run off to repair a dreadnought.

Perhaps abit late becaurse the 8th edition comes out pretty soon, so might not work in the new rules.

What about fluff? I like to think that my marines have alot of techmarines, but how many are silly much? Perhaps have 50 techmarines in the chapter and they have a role similar to a sergeant and techmarine in one, tasked with building armor and gear for their squad then leading them in battle. Would this work, or is there some fluff that says that you cant have alot of techmarines?

I like the idea! With a few weeks left until release, then I recommend holding on to it to see what happens.

As for numbers, I would imagine there is no limit. The IH are very likely to have way more than "normal" anyway ^_^

I used to do this.  With a harness, they make great additions to Tactical Squads as they brought a 2+ save and extra special weapons.  I used to attach a Master of the Forge to a Tactical Squad in 5th Edition, too, as what I called a "delete squad": plasma gun, combi-plasma on the sergeant, MOTF with harness and plasma pistol and power weapon.  Six plasma shots out of a single unit (plus the two more from the las/plas Razorback they were being driven around in).  My second HQ was a Libby, so he'd pop Null Zone if those shots were going into something with Invulnerable saves.

People liked to say that 5th Edition was a melee edition. . . and then they'd meet my army and learn otherwise.

As 7th Edition has "Iron Father" as a title given to Apothecaries, Chaplains, Librarians, certain officers (likely including sergeants), as well as Techmarines, may I propose the option to make "Iron Father" an upgrade? The Iron Father gets "Iron Father armor" (artificer armor with a built in servo-arm), Blessing of the Omnissiah and Bolster Defenses special rules, BS and/or WS 5. It costs 30 points.

Don't know about for Sergeants in the SoM, but I like the idea of a Techmarine as a "Watch Sergeant" for DW Veterans.  While not strictly WYSIWYG, it makes a lot of sense in-canon and I doubt many opponents would complain (they don't seem to have a problem with the Apothecary-Watch Sergeant in one of my Kill Teams).  :)

This isnt quite on topic but in the old fluff wasn't it due to the Iron Hands being low on Terminator Armour that the sgts wore them instead of whole squads of termies? Although I would really like it if techmarines could be sgts, but they are characters, hopefully that FnP bubble might be larger in the 8th. My techy will just ride around in his LC/Plasma razorback with his servitors repairing it when it gets hit hopefully not having to get out and still cast that FnP bubble, I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

Archived