Most gothic chaos god

Personally, I think they are all as Gothic as the other. Thinking back to the old illustrations in the Realms of Chaos books, I reckon you'd struggle to say which seemed more Gothic than the the other three. They were all steeped in an atmosphere not only spun from the background material but crafted by the superbly dark (and erratic) artwork of the time. 

But, if I absolutely, positively had to pick one above the others... it'd probably be Tzeentch. Not entirely sure why, maybe it's all the scheming that he does. ^_^

Personally, I think they are all as Gothic as the other. Thinking back to the old illustrations in the Realms of Chaos books, I reckon you'd struggle to say which seemed more Gothic than the the other three. They were all steeped in an atmosphere not only spun from the background material but crafted by the superbly dark (and erratic) artwork of the time.

But, if I absolutely, positively had to pick one above the others... it'd probably be Tzeentch. Not entirely sure why, maybe it's all the scheming that he does. happy.png

It's probably how he fills people with the false hope that if they try really really really hard at life, they might succeed, but in reality, everything they do is absolutely meaningless.

Nurgle. Death and plagues were the defining element of medieval Europe and Asia as the "black death" dominated the entire Gothic period.  Killing off 40-60% of the population and taking 3 centuries for populations to recover. It killed more than all the petty feudal wars combined. Look at medieval and Gothic art some time, death, death, death....  Oh and hopelessness. That is all Nurgle.  

Slaanesh fits as well since at that time the 'high society' were living as much in excess as it was possible at that time (just as today but today they are 'celebrities' lol).

What kind of "gothic" are you looking for?

Medieval Gothic as Sersi suggests? In which case probably Nurgle as mentionned.

Victorian Gothic? In which case probably Tzeentch as you could add many of the spooky and Cthulhu-esque elements that are associated in pop culture to that type of Gothic. Or perhaps Slaanesh, as the Victorians either liked flashy new contraptions or condemned them, just as they condemned physical temptation to a very high degree (indicating that for them, Lust and Gluttony and any other Excesses would be the absolute worse things possible... which would be quite delectable to Slaanesh I would imagine)

Yeah fair enough but I mean generally - all cloaked and dark? Lots of skull imegery that kinda thing?

Also - it was mentioned that Tzeentch fits in with the gothic/horror feel. What features make Tzeentch gothic horror? Thanks

I suggest looking into Lovecraftian themes, then. While it's not strictly Victorian, the man himself lived partly in that time and derived influence and inspiration from certain Victorian-era publications (The Yellow King, for instance, or some of Poe's work to name but two sources). Now, the Chaos Gods, as they are, lean towards such a theme anyway, and I suspect Lovercraft to be an inspiration for them. 

So, what to do? Perhaps ramp up the otherworldliness of whatever you are working on - malign and unknowable intelligences, form never matching function (mouths and teeth in places that are of little use, same with eyes, hands etc, etc), individuality/uniqueness of the strange and so on.

Archived