Prot

Guys I feel like we needed this topic to be stand alone as the conversation of the introduction of the Primaris is wide ranging from background, to tabletop, and is taking over some of our '8th general topics'. Hopefully this will be a good place for us to explore it and add tidbits as we discover them.

For starters, the is what GW posted for the Intercessor Squad:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Primaris%20Marines/New40kIntercessorDatasheet.jpg

* For comparison the only close dataslate we have at the moment is the Rubrics. For what it's worth, their "Power Level" (cost) is "8".

I did grab quite a few screenshots, so for reference here's a couple for us to check out:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Primaris%20Marines/capture-20170517-143614.png

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Primaris%20Marines/UM%20Primaris%206.png

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Primaris%20Marines/UM%20Primaris%203.png

*Please keep the conversation civil and on topic. If you don't like the background/models/etc that's fine but this is meant to be an exploration of the new unit for Ultramarines.

++++UPDATE++++

Captain in Gravis Armour + Inceptor Squad

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Primaris%20Marines/New40kPrimarisCaptain.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Primaris%20Marines/New40kPrimarisInceptor.jpg

Edited by Prot

What base siye do these guys stand on?

They look like 32mm bases when you compare them to what the regular marines are stood, with the power sword guy in the middle on a 40mm base I think.

Maybe the guy with the 40mm is some sort of captain? I don't think that he is the sergeant, who I believe is the red helm marine in the back.

I think with the new rules base size doesn't matter any more, as measurements are taken from the model. I too would prefer 40mm bases for them, and I might model mine as so.

I have three blister packs of ultra marines shoulder pads waiting on these guys.

Someone mentioned this idea in one of the eight ed discussion threads, but since any space marine can be up lifted to Primaris status, do you think we'll see a Primaris character, maybe Sicarius, at he accompanied RG to Tera? Just a thought I kind of like.

I have my fingers crossed for a Cato that won't sit on the shelf for three editions, upgraded or otherwise.

I like the Primaris models. Sculpted in the likeness of the primarch, forged in the fires of Mars. I can't wait to see them all. I also think people are way overreacting to the fluff. It's a setting where genetically modified space wizards fight Cockney monsters and undead robots. Relax.

As for rules there's just too much up in The air. But, from what we've seen, I think Intercessors are a bully unit. They rack up wounds from just outside most meaningful retaliation ranges and then jump in on melees where their extra attacks are valuable, but where they won't get murderated by dedicated close combat monsters. I'm curious to see what other flavors their units will come with.

I also hope that if marines can be given the additional treatments then we can maybe upgrade sergeants, but I'm not holding my breath.

From a gaming perspective it looks like the primaris are an adaptation of the tactical to 8th edition.

They come only in squads of 5 instead of 10 and their stat line is increased to dish out a couple wounds at range and then finish the job in melee.

With two wounds apiece and 2 attacks a piece they should perform nicely as a backup assault unit, something tactical have been lacking in in 7th if you ask me.

From the profile we have so far they seem to lack the diversity in shooting, so until they solve that (with I suspect they will, we probably all have seen the primaris with the plasma gun) my tactical will still see a lot of play.

From a hobby perspective these are awesome! they look great and I can't wait to add some to my army. And since I'm not really competitive my army will have regular tactical and primaris alongside each other.

p.s. the red/white helmet on a 40mm base must be a veteran sergeant. The colours indicate it and he's way too bland to be a character.

Hmm if 8th will be similiar to 7th where in a lot of situations Troops choices were just a way to unlock more efficient units, I would gladly take these guys for the mandatory slots if the point difference isn't to big. Speaking of which the power rating would indicate the points will land around the 100 mark.

If they do make tacticals more effective for us, with the new ability to split fire, wound everything with bolters and retreat from combat, then full sized upgraded squads of tacticals might actually be a good choice.

At MSU-level though I think the primaris will shine

After some time I'm ok with these guys now. 

I would like the idea of a beefed up Cato - all the Sicarius haters would go nuts. :-)

I disliked him for so long but now I feel it was the poor writing he received more than anything.

That basically sums up the negative opinion people are having about Ultramarines. Poor writing, misrepresentation and 4chan memes are responsible here.

After some time I'm ok with these guys now. 

I would like the idea of a beefed up Cato - all the Sicarius haters would go nuts. :-)

Kind of what I am feeling. I am mainly a 30K player so it doesn't really affect me but to begin with I hated them but they are slowly starting to grow on me and I'm thinking about making a small 40K force from then when they are released.

So, we have the Tacticals (aka Intercessor), we have the Tactical Support Squad (aka Hellblaster) and the Assault Marines (aka Interceptors), a command squad and HQ as well. Feels much more Marine-like if you ask me. Smaller units with bigger guys.

I will probably keep the tanks and otherwise switch over to these guys. They look pretty awesome.

I'm wondering if the Captain in Gravis armour from the starter set is supposed to be Sicarius or just a generic Captain. He does bear the 2nd Company colours, but then GW might just say he's a Captain, deal with it and fluff be damned. ;) What do you think?

I'm wondering if the Captain in Gravis armour from the starter set is supposed to be Sicarius or just a generic Captain. He does bear the 2nd Company colours, but then GW might just say he's a Captain, deal with it and fluff be damned. :wink: What do you think?

They could always kill off Calgar or Agemman and move Cato to the 1st Company.

I'm unsure if I sholud buy the new starter box. 

I like the standard primaris guys and I think I can use them. Those flyboys and the captain are not my cup of tea. So it comes down to 3 primaris squads & the rulebook. The rest will be sold.

Not sure if it is worth.

How are you guys going to integrate the new marines into your armys? Are you using them as older marines that took the opportunity to be upgraded to primaris level or are you going to use them as marines from a different company or chapter?

I'm leaning towards a reserve company preferably one that has devastators (so 9th I think?).