Prot

I sent an email to GW customer support (maybe it wasn't the best place to send it to), nevertheless got a reply.

Hi GW Team,

I wonder if you could assist me with this query. There seems to be a bit of a confusion in terms of how Primaris Marines fit into the existing company structure of Ultramarines and other chapters. Some hypotheses have been circulated based on the transfers available in the 8th Edition starter box, but myself and some other faithful players would greatly appreciate a clarification. I'm mostly interested in Ultramarines 2nd Company, but also other companies and chapters if possible. Would you be able to help me out with choosing the correct squad numbers for Intercessors, Inceptors, and Hellblasters so that all would be correct canon-wise?

If this is covered in the Index Imperium 1, then please ignore my query.

Sorry for bothering you with such a detailed matter, but I am what they call a 'fluff bunny' and like to model and paint my army in accordance with the established canon. :smile.:

Let me just add that I'm a huge fan of your products.

Hi There Michal,

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry but that is not information which we have, or even that may not exist.

You army is your own and we cannot offer "official" answers on fluff queries.

Sorry we can't help in this case. Please keep an eye on the new books and Warhammer Community. Perhaps you'll find something useful there.

Kind regards

I do hope they release some kind of blurb that'll clarify stuff for us in the foreseeable future. As it is now I might hold off painting Primaris until that happens.

Does anyone have the new White Dwarf yet? I have looked at the Youtube reviews and, while I can't make out all the detail in the text, there is definitely some discussion of company and squad markings on the Primaris marines for various different chapters in the Eavy Metal section. I could just about see that a Blood Angels squad replaced a fallen tactical squad as the 2nd squad of the 2nd company, but that doesn't help to explain whether there is also a new 4th squad (with all old squads increasing in number by 1) or if the extra 5 men are accounted for in some other way.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody here has received White Dwarf yet and has been able to learn any more about this.

Edited by OrkPlayer137

There is a little more information on Warhammer Community today: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/13/primaris-marines-of-many-colours/

There is a Salamander Intercessor squad numbered 13! It might be that the painter doesn't actually know the appropriate fluff explanation for the numbering yet and just took a guess, or but this also suggests another explanation when Primaris squads are added to existing companies:

If there are already existing squads numbered 1-10, it could obviously be awkward to e.g. increase the number of the existing assault or devastator squads to make way for two new intercessors replacing one existing tactical squad, especially as further re-numbering would be needed in future as other squads are replaced. With this in mind, perhaps only the first replacement intercessor squad is given the number of the tactical squad it replaces, while the second is given a number above 10. So then we would have:

1-6 Tactical/Intercessor

7-8 Assault/Inceptor

9-10 Devastator/Hellblaster

11-16 Intercessor (if present - some gaps in this number range if still some tactical squads)

17-20 Inceptor (if present)

21-22 Hellblaster (if present)

Alternatively, we might have:

1-6 Tactical/Intercessor

7-8 Assault/Inceptor

9-10 Devastator/Hellblaster

11+ any excess Primaris squad numbered in the order in which they were added to the company

I think this last arrangement might actually make the most sense, as it avoids gaps in the numbers during the transition period from standard marine to Primaris. For example, if the first Primaris marines to join an existing company are 3 Inceptor squads to replace existing assault squad number 7, then the inceptor squad numbers would be:

7, 11, 12

Then if tactical squad 2 was later replaced with two new Intercessor squads, their numbers would be 2 and 13.

I previously thought that GW had made a mistake with painting the 2nd company Ultramarines for the Dark Imperium box, as the Inceptor and Hellblaster there have traditional assault and devastator numbers, but that would actually fit with either of these explanations.

Edited by OrkPlayer137

Well I was always a fan of them out of the gate and I never did see them as a threat to fielding space marines but I have to admit all the batreps I've seen using them have not been very good.

That being said I'll be running proxies for a test game tonight. Granted I will make tactical blunders but I hope to have a better run with them than I've seen so far

Well I was always a fan of them out of the gate and I never did see them as a threat to fielding space marines but I have to admit all the batreps I've seen using them have not been very good.

That being said I'll be running proxies for a test game tonight. Granted I will make tactical blunders but I hope to have a better run with them than I've seen so far

You'll be disappointed. You need the tank to be somewhat viable.

Yea, unfortunately I'm not expecting much... the Inceptor squad looks like it might be the most attractive unit without requiring any support. 

The Inceptor's actually remind me of some of the Tau units. I was tabled in 3 turns by new Tau... those suits are ridiculous. :)

Edited by Prot

I've ran a "pure" primaris list with Guilliman and it did very well, re-rolling those plasma shots and -1ap bolter can do work! The ancient is key cause your guys are going to die but being able to shot again before death is clutch!

I don't think we're gonna get anything more concrete before we get the Codex...

whtv.PNG

For now I'm going to use the numbers suggested by the 8ed Primaris booklet, so Intercessor Squads I and III, Inceptor Squad VIII, and Hellblaster Squad IX. That would mean that Sergeants Solinus, Vorolanus, Strabo, and Tirian have either been killed off or upgraded to Primaris (if the numbering stands when the Codex hits). Oh well. Thankfully it doesn't collide with the squad numbers I used so far.

Woah, hold up. Space Marine Codex? So Primaris will remain rolled into SM as opposed to getting their own publication? What is this heresy?

I had assumed this would be the case since the units are intermingled with regular SM units in the index book. They don't have their own section like BA, SW, etc.

Woah, hold up. Space Marine Codex? So Primaris will remain rolled into SM as opposed to getting their own publication? What is this heresy?

I had assumed this would be the case since the units are intermingled with regular SM units in the index book. They don't have their own section like BA, SW, etc.

But that is because they are limited to the starter box and do not have an official range as of yet.

Guys, I'm super excited for the Repulsor Tank!

I'm hoping to replace my Grav Centurions in a Landraider with some Hellblasters in a Repulsor :-)

Should hopefully save some points, and also the model is so cool :-D

Word! Do we have any info besides the original leak yet?

I am actually really hyped for the Dread :O

I'm so excited for both of these units.

I'm working like crazy on my Primaris units, but I'm going to be honest the appearance of the repulsor doesn't wow me.. .it might grow on me, but the giant dread really appealed to me. Can't wait.