Prot

• 2 weeks later...

Adding this info here:

gallery_2760_13290_32843.jpg

So what I could pick up from the Redemptor today:

Macro Plasma Incinerator: I think it was 36" and could over charge from 8 to a 9. it's Heavy D6 -4 AP if overcharged, and the Redemptor suffers the mortal wounds on wounds of 1 if overcharged.

Icarus: 24"? Heavy D3, S7 -1 AP , +1 to hit flyers, -1 to hit ground units.

Frag launchers? Assault 2D6, S4, 0AP.

Something else with (?) Onslaught cannon D6, S5 -1 AP 1D

Something Heavy(?) Heavy Onslaught Cannon Heavy 12, 30" S5 , -1 AP.

Edited by Prot

So now we know the squad numbering from the leaks from the new Codex Space Marines: the first 10 squads are numbered the same as before, although they can be swapped with Primaris squads as appropriate. In other words:

1-6 Intercessor or Tactical

7-8 Assault or Inceptor or Reiver

9-10 Hellblaster or Aggressor or Devastator

This can mean fewer than 100 marines per company.

But this crucial paragraph explains where the squad numbers 11-20 come from:

"The newly rewritten Codex Astartes allows for each Battle Company to be reinforced with additional troops reassigned from the Reserve Companies. These seconded battle-brothers form squads XI upwards. Once attached to a Battle Company, it is standard practice for the newly joined reserve squads to take new markings corresponding to their new company, although the rapid nature of war does not always afford time for such a formality."

It is interesting to note that even standard squads can be reassigned in this way, not just Primaris - e.g. there is an example of a standard assault squad reassigned as squad 12 of the second company.

It seems as though the maximum squad number is 20 - so a max of 10 squads can be added.

It is not yet clear to me if the reassigned marines from reserve companies are replaced in those companies (potentially allowing for more than 1000 marines per chapter) or not.

There are a few things that don't add up though, e.g. some pictures from GW showing a 3rd company captain in Gravis armour, when the third company captain is in fact still Fabian in the new Codex. Perhaps he has been upgraded to Primaris.

Update: all of the above was based on information on the pages showing squads numbers and the entire Ultramarines second company. I just found the "Company Organization" page in the preview on the GW website, which says that companies may now consist of up to 20 5-man squads under the new Codex Astartes, in addition to be potentially being reinforced from the reserve companies. It therefore seems strange that the second company doesn't have extra squads numbered above 10, before counting the squads reassigned from reserves - I suppose the baseline company must be understrength at the moment.

So it's not clear how to number them after all, in cases where the baseline company has more than 10 squads.

Edited by OrkPlayer137

From the leaks I've seen so far, the new codex fluff seems to follow on from Gathering Storm rather than the Dark Imperium novel, so Galenus listing is either "currently" correct and he will be replaced by Phelian before the end of the Indomitus Crusade (similar to the Cato Sicarius lost in Warp issue) or, my biggest bugbear with GW pubs, lazy cut and paste editing from previous edition sources.

I hope it's the former rather than the latter.