Index Astartes: Star Wardens (WIP)

InAction

I suggest an earthy brown as the main colour, it's a highly unusual colour for a Space Marine Chapter to use sp it'll make your marines very distinct, plus it fits the theme given that Cowboys often wore a lot of earthy tones like cream, brown and black.

I second that motion. A colour from the Range of Desert camos could look really slick.

Generally I support this Concept! Interested to see where this goes!

Have you got a colour scheme idea yet?

I suggest an earthy brown as the main colour, it's a highly unusual colour for a Space Marine Chapter to use sp it'll make your marines very distinct, plus it fits the theme given that Cowboys often wore a lot of earthy tones like cream, brown and black.

Oof. Color schemes is something that I haven't bothered with putting up here yet because I was going through so many different variations that I was starting to see spots. However, there are like two main ones I'm now seeing myself using depending on how I want to take this project.

Actually, I was in fact thinking of using an earthy green for a color pattern to go with the use of 'Rangers' as the chapter title as well as the horse icon I mentioned previously. Even if it feels very similar to that of the Raptors, it just feels like it fits so well, y'know?

http://i.imgur.com/bL4VoC8.png

Other option I had was going back to one of my initial ideas for name/icon combos, that of the title 'Lone Stars' with an icon similar to that of the Invaders chapter, a skull and star combo. With that kind of name, I wanted to go with something of a more noble and therefore bolder pattern so I went with several different permutations of silvery-white and blue used together to come up with the following.

http://i.imgur.com/YcUShwg.png

The bolder pattern is best reserved for Terminators and artificer armored Marines (Chapter Master, Captains, Honor Guards), as their superior armor allows them to survive the firepower the enemy will direct towards them. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

I recommend whole squads of Vanguard Vets armed with 2 pistols. Delivered to battle in a Rhino or Stormravrn instead of jump packs.

Something like this should have a chapter unique name. 'Gunslingers' being the unoriginal example

For the chapter badge have you thought about it being a horse shoe? E.g. Indi Colts. Could also use Ultramarine transfers ;)

If you're looking for a name that is not overly Cowboy themed, how about "Wardens"? It's linked to the Cowboy theme (via the association with prisons, thus jails, thus sheriffs), while still having the right kind of medieval ring to be suitably 40Kish.

Prefer the green in all honesty, I do however feel it is currently missing something connecting it to how your chapter is shaping out

Maybe a light brown/ beige / cream / sand tone for the shoulders?

I like the sound of a beige/bone white. I'll give that a try.

Scouts with cowboy appropriate hats?

Hmmm, I'd say nay personally, I fear that'd be going too heavy-handed with the Cowboy theme.

Yeah, I'd thought about something like that as well, but I can't really see a way that it wouldn't look silly.

If you're looking for a name that is not overly Cowboy themed, how about "Wardens"? It's linked to the Cowboy theme (via the association with prisons, thus jails, thus sheriffs), while still having the right kind of medieval ring to be suitably 40Kish.

That's not a bad idea at all. Something like "the Star Wardens" sounds pretty cool.

Edited by InAction

I recommend whole squads of Vanguard Vets armed with 2 pistols. Delivered to battle in a Rhino or Stormravrn instead of jump packs.

MORITATS! Why didn't we came up with that earlier? :biggrin.:

Would make perfect "Lone Rangers", who would be tasked with "small" conflicts / issues.

99550101543_MoritatVolkiteSerpenta01.jpg

Another good reason for being a Raven Guard successor. :P

Edited by Kelborn

MORITATS! Why didn't we came up with that earlier? :biggrin.:

Would make perfect "Lone Rangers", who would be tasked with "small" conflicts / issues.

99550101543_MoritatVolkiteSerpenta01.jpg

Another good reason for being a Raven Guard successor. :P

Now what model is that! Never seen it before in my life. It is b.e.a.u.tiful

Hey everyone - just letting you know I've now updated the thread topic name and first post with the start of the IA: Star Wardens. It's still very much a work-in-progress but I will continue adding stuff as quickly as I can generate bits for the entry.

I like all of it, my only thing would be the wording of cavalry tactics. Unless you are going to put your marines onto animals, I would rephrase that to (example) mobile warfare utilising bikes and land speeder

I actually really like the blue/white scheme, it has a very traditional, bold Astartes Chapter-y feel to it. Perhaps they should use that for their 'regular' colours, i.e. when they're doing normal Company/Strike force level operations?

Then the more 'cowboy' scheme of green (and perhaps sandy/brown cloth/leather?) could be the one used by lone operatives/Scouts?

Oh and Star Wardens works for me too, nice job!

Edited by LySiMachus

How about 'The Sons of Quantrill' with their first Chapter master... Chapter Master 'Bloody Bill' Anderson.

Quantrill's Raiders were the best-known of the pro-Confederate partisan rangers ("bushwhackers") who fought in the American Civil War. Their leader was William Quantrill and they included Jesse James and his brother Frank.

Your Marines could be experts in lightning raids. They could be a Scars Successor???

Taking inspiration from the Confederates of the American Civil War? With such role models, one would expect the Chapter to turn renegade, even towards Chaos. Would they be created using gene-seed of the Traitor Legions, during the 13th or 21st Foundings?

I would consider it an honour to have a Confederate soldier as a role model. Why would you think they would turn renegade or turn to Chaos?

I would consider it an honour to have a Confederate soldier as a role model. Why would you think they would turn renegade or turn to Chaos?

For the second and last time of saying, opinions about the Confederacy and related topics are best left at home. Any further posts on that topic will be removed. 

You could probably have lone rangers as some sort of thing similar to a Space wolves lone wolves

That I like the sound of - I can even work it into that concept of the 'lone gunmen' I'd been wanting.

I actually really like the blue/white scheme, it has a very traditional, bold Astartes Chapter-y feel to it. Perhaps they should use that for their 'regular' colours, i.e. when they're doing normal Company/Strike force level operations?

Then the more 'cowboy' scheme of green (and perhaps sandy/brown cloth/leather?) could be the one used by lone operatives/Scouts?

Oh nearly forgot from last post, but this I also love so I'm using it. The green scheme I'll be using as a camo pattern for stealth operatives.

-UPDATE-

Just made some edits and additions to the Index, including an entry on Recruitment and Chapter Organization.

Edited by InAction