Help an old wolf prepare for 8th

Hi all

After many years of playing Warmachine/Malifaux or nothing much at all, I've decided to come back to 40k for 8th. I starting noodling about with some building and converting in another thread but now that rules for weapons, and everything are coming out and being previewed, I'm getting a bit lost in what to build up my models as sad.png

This is what I have at my disposal:

2 x Start Collecting Space Wolves

(20 marines, 6 cavalry, 2 characters)

Logan Grimnar

13 x Space Wolves Terminators

2 x Contemptor Dreadnought (from Betrayal at Calth I think)

Space Wolves Dreadnought

10 marines from a heresy boxed game

5 heavy bolters

5 plasma cannons

1 x Old metal terminator chaplain

I've made some stuff already, some intermittently as a modelling project, some since the 8th announcement, but now i realise I'm not really sure where i should be going with it all.

Made so far

5Grey Hunters - pack leader combi-melta, axe(power/frost?) 1marine with power fist, one with magnetised special weapon, 2x bolter chainsword

3 Cavalry - one has a power fist, one has an axe, the other has a bolter ( i made these to look good rather than for any rules based reason)

Rune priest (commander model) - rune sword, plasma pistol

1 x Contemptor dread - magnetised options for the axe & shield, melta/assault cannon/power fist

5 assembled Terminators - 1x 2 wolf claws, 1x assault cannon, 1x axe and shield, 2 others which I can't recall.

Part of the trouble I'm having is whether or not Grey Hunters get chainswords, or have them available to buy for points? If not should I switch the rest of my guys to blood claws or do I have enough assault elements with the 3 dreadnoughts/cavalry etc?

I'd like to use the other 'starts collecting' leader as a wolf priest, and then use one terminator as a rune priest, and use the metal terminator chaplain as a wolf priest smile.png

I had planned on giving the converted wolf guard general a spear and a shield, but I could also magnetise some options here.

Sorry this is a bit all over the place, I'm just looking to get a good start for 8th.

Thanks for your patience and any help you can give

Lofty

EDIT - Forgot to add that i'm after a Rhino each for the two foot units maybe, and was wondering about proxying Logans sled as the flyer model, or buying one.

Welcome back Brother. To be honest I'd hold off on doing much at the moment, with all the new changes and these Uber-Marines to come, I've come to a halt myself because of this. However if you do want to pick away in the meantime, GH packs with a couple of heavy weapons and TWC with StormShields will probably still be effective in 8th.

It will be interesting to see if we can feasibly field TWC without SSs, but I'm thinking it will still be the best option. More so now that chain swords get the extra attack bonus. We just have to see if they keep rending in some form.

Welcome back Brother. To be honest I'd hold off on doing much at the moment, with all the new changes and these Uber-Marines to come, I've come to a halt myself because of this. However if you do want to pick away in the meantime, GH packs with a couple of heavy weapons and TWC with StormShields will probably still be effective in 8th.

Thanks

I did wonder if this might be the best approach. Maybe I'll get to work on my TW lord then, or the terminator characters. Any suggestions for weapon options please?

Welcome aboard!  

At this point, I would recommend that you be a little patient and give us about a month; we'll need to digest the new rules, units, and weapon options fully before we can give you any worthwhile recommendations.

I don't ever magnetize my pa units...

For my standard troops, I've typically built them in one of three flavors: cs/bp so they can be either bc, gh, or even wg; power sword/plasma pistol for the sergeant; or special weapon. I have enough of each to field at least 3 10-man units.

Magnetise everything!

Then it will not matter, build as you want smile.png

Oh, and welcome to the Aett.. Grab a mjod, and a chair!

SKOL! Thanks

I don't ever magnetize my pa units...

For my standard troops, I've typically built them in one of three flavors: cs/bp so they can be either bc, gh, or even wg; power sword/plasma pistol for the sergeant; or special weapon. I have enough of each to field at least 3 10-man units.

Good idea, never thought of multi-purpose guys before :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard!  

At this point, I would recommend that you be a little patient and give us about a month; we'll need to digest the new rules, units, and weapon options fully before we can give you any worthwhile recommendations.

Hi again. I just thought I'd see if any of the leaked rules provided any more clarity at all?

I've been trying to keep up with it all, but I couldn't make out a great deal from the Index pictures that are about.

IMO, it feels like our WG bikers are the best in slot for overall offensive punch (shooting and assault). You can have each model have a twin-linked boltgun, combi-*, [melee weapon of choice], AND a storm shield! Logically, my brain melts at the absurdity of the "swiss army polearm" visual of a biker using all of those weapons in a single turn, AND still somehow controlling his bike at top speed...

Add a Captain on bike to re-roll 1s on to-hit (shooting and assault), and a rune priest on bike for Storm Caller (units within 6" have cover), and ya got a pretty effective threat range.

Methinks this won't last past our real codex, so enjoy while you can (and try not being "that guy" too often with this).

Hello again

I'm looking at making my ThunderWolf Cavarly Lord at the moment as I'm home sick. Does anyone have some suggestions for magnetised weapons please? I want him to have a spear & shield, but I guess this isn't the best combo rules wise (frost weapon & storm shield?). 

Thanks

Hello again

I'm looking at making my ThunderWolf Cavarly Lord at the moment as I'm home sick. Does anyone have some suggestions for magnetised weapons please? I want him to have a spear & shield, but I guess this isn't the best combo rules wise (frost weapon & storm shield?). 

Thanks

Hey Sturm,

I've have quite a lot of experience magnetizing. After 3rd ed shafted my army and had to tear off CC weapons from GH and BC packs i swore never again, and to future proof my army. Anything that has an option... Magnetize EVERYTHING. I have used primarily  3x1 mm N52 disc magnets from ebay. They can by utilized for just about anything. using a 3mm bit you can drill into shoulders, hands and weapons to fit the magnets flush.

I will include a few photo's to give you some ideas

Magnetize special weapons so you dont have to paint up multiple models for different load outs.

Grey hunter magnetic special weapons

For your thunderwolves and lord, try magnetizing some shoulders. This will enable you to tryout how effective certain weapon combinations are. as you play, if you decide you dont need to have storm shields on all your TWC models, you can simply swap out arms and equip the odd one with basic pistol and chainsword so you can allocate mortal wounds on him and save your expensive hammer and shield model from premature death. This also future proofs you from changes like we are seeing now from 7th to 8th.

Thunderwolves magnetic Arm options

Thunderwolves magnetized

If anyone thinks this is a bit extreme, consider how much unnecessary painting of models this save in the long term. With a little bit of prep work using magnets, the same arms can be used across multiple wolf guard. I have a squad of power armoured wolf guard that were used as combi melta suicide squad. these same Wolf guard can now be used individually as pack leaders and given any loadout desired or whatever becomes best in the emerging 8th ed meta.

wolf guard magnetic Arm options

This is also beautifully scalable. For example, i never fielded thunder hammers on TWC before, for the points they were just too expensive and not worth it just for concussive over equipping a power fist. NOW however, i am going to be painting up a few more hammer arms because the flat 3 damage output for the same points, that relegates the fists to the box.

Have a go. I promise you wont regret magnetizing.

It will be interesting to see if we can feasibly field TWC without SSs, but I'm thinking it will still be the best option. More so now that chain swords get the extra attack bonus. We just have to see if they keep rending in some form.

After a few games I can say that AP modifiers are real. 3W 3+ will melt away against other Imperial factions, considering how easily they can access Plasmas and LC with re-rolls. Remember, now you can not use characters to tank for a unit. If anything, the unit tanks for the character now. Best to make TWC durable and TM characters as killy as possible.

As for the OP - Terminators are looking fairly solid now. Precise deep-striking on demand without penalty for terrain. Land them in cover for a 2+ with a buffer and get to shooting. Combi-Plasmas are very solid, especially the overcharged version. Seeing as all SM faction have easy access to re-rolls to hit (at least 1s), there is only minimal risk of spamming overcharged shots. You can also fire both profiles of a combi-weapon with -1 hit (but re-rolls) to slaughter hordes. Add a deep-striking Grimnar for the re-rolls and you have a solid start.

Rune Priests are very solid, especially the cover-creating power to advance some models across the board more safely. Then get your GH suited for support (in transports) and you're good to go ;)

I've got 2 games under my belt. My early thoughts are that Long Fangs are great. Especially with plasma cannons. Fire Control allows rerolls to hit of 1 on a selected unit. So you can overcharge with near immunity. Heavy bolters will be effective too with FIre Control.

Wolf priests are incredible.  Honestly I am blown away by them. Rerolls all to hit in combat and they heal for D3 at the end of your movement. They've been the MVPs in my games.

I am not 100% sold on my TWC. I have 6 as well. They did better in the second game. I still haven't figured out a build yet. I ran two squads of 3. All storms shields, 1 TH, 2 Wolf Claws. I am salty that storm shields cost 10 pts more on our TWC than any other unit outside of characters.

My next few games I am going to try my TDA WG. I have a lot like you. Problem is they are expensive as heck. I just can't figure out how to get them into my lists. I want to give them all combis but that adds a lot of cost. I am still mulling this over.

As someone who's returning to the Wolves after a long hiatus, this thread has been a big help to me, as well.

The first 40K army I ever fielded back in '97 (I say this because I simply can not play with unpainted minis) was a Space Wolf army that I more or less was given as payment for painting up some stuff for a FLGS' in-store demonstrations.

The Wolves of Fenris have had a special place in my heart ever since.

I've got 2 games under my belt. My early thoughts are that Long Fangs are great. Especially with plasma cannons. Fire Control allows rerolls to hit of 1 on a selected unit. So you can overcharge with near immunity. Heavy bolters will be effective too with FIre Control.

Wolf priests are incredible.  Honestly I am blown away by them. Rerolls all to hit in combat and they heal for D3 at the end of your movement. They've been the MVPs in my games.

I am not 100% sold on my TWC. I have 6 as well. They did better in the second game. I still haven't figured out a build yet. I ran two squads of 3. All storms shields, 1 TH, 2 Wolf Claws. I am salty that storm shields cost 10 pts more on our TWC than any other unit outside of characters.

My next few games I am going to try my TDA WG. I have a lot like you. Problem is they are expensive as heck. I just can't figure out how to get them into my lists. I want to give them all combis but that adds a lot of cost. I am still mulling this over.

Thanks very much for this. It's good to hear about the Long Fangs, I hear a lot of people saying las-cannons and missile launchers for them, but the weapons I have for them are the best aesthetically in my opinion :)

It sounds like we have a lot of similar things, so thanks again for the advice.

As someone who's returning to the Wolves after a long hiatus, this thread has been a big help to me, as well.

The first 40K army I ever fielded back in '97 (I say this because I simply can not play with unpainted minis) was a Space Wolf army that I more or less was given as payment for painting up some stuff for a FLGS' in-store demonstrations.

The Wolves of Fenris have had a special place in my heart ever since.

It's a great time to come back brother, but also a bit confusing! :p

Archived