Primaris and the Black Templars

After long consideration I decided to buy the Dark Imperium set because of the following reasons:

• It's a bargain
  • The models look awesome (I'll put a tabbard on that fat captain's belly and I'll also find a way to make those Inceptowhatever guys look good)
  • I'll create my own badass fluff for the introduction of the Primaris to my crusade (even if it's just as a new armor mark)
  • The whole of 8th ed looks very promising
  • I found someone I can sell the roting heretics to
  • I already own every (or multiple) models of the space marine line, except Characters and Vindicators :blush.:

And lastly let's not forget that new GW promised to listen to feedback. There should actually be no problem to rally enough templars to crusade for new upgrade sprues, distinct Chapter Tactics/ Rules and solid lore!

I had decided to buy Dark Imperium before even realising they were Primaris marines. It's excellent value for money when you consider the rulebook, and as I didn't get it direct from GW it only cost me an extra £40 on top of the rulebook price.

So now I'm landed with a bunch of Primaris marines and being short on money, I'm going to have to incorporate them into my Black Templar army.

I'm swapping the filthy demon worshipping scum with a friend who has the marines going spare from Kill Team.

Like von Speer though I'm going to need a lot of fluff to make this work.

Edited by DBadger

Nice use of the spellcrow bits - link to anyone who's curious: http://bit.ly/2s5EXBw 

Even more reason to get some for myself!

Did it take much surgery to get the Templar pads on since the pad + arm are one piece?

It is not that much work actually, if you cut the pad off before you glue the torso parts together.

Where the Skirt come from? <3

Yes they are the Spellcrow Tabards, with a bit of kneepad trimming they fit on nicely!

Once we get a chainsword primaris unit, I'll buy in.

The chainsword arms from the BT conversion kit fit quite good, they are a tiny bit shorter than the primaris arms, but not so much that it would be obvious!

Edited by Bruder Jakob

So brothers, I have folded and purchased the dark imperium box set. 
And of course my primaris will be joining the crusade! 
But the question is, do I make them black templars or a new black templar successor chapter? 

But the question is, do I make them black templars or a new black templar successor chapter? 

Could always just paint them as Fists.  

I still refuse until they can be outfitted with CCW like real Crusaders. I may be in a growing minority here, but I'll not cave in to the new shiny until they can be outfitted as BTs that have volunteered for the upgrade to support the Crusade (that's my fluff and I'm sticking to it!). If GW never releases a variant like that, then I will never have them.

Nice use of the spellcrow bits - link to anyone who's curious: http://bit.ly/2s5EXBw 

Even more reason to get some for myself!

Did it take much surgery to get the Templar pads on since the pad + arm are one piece?

Brilliant! Thanks for the link. :D

BT shoulderpads will fit nicely onto the Primaris marines with minimum effort:

19225938 10154717946323004 1870216935106756305 N

And for the guy on the last page looking to see what the BT colours look like on Primaris models (sorry about the crummy pic quality): 

19225282 10154717938138004 2036329656574912296 N

19399607 10154717938183004 3685596148556857539 N

Well there are no Black Templars successors so I'd either go with straight BT or paint them as Fists depending on how you feel about the fluff and want them to play on the table

Black Templars don't need successors as we're split into crusades as needed rather than strict codex companies. There are similar chapters, though, and other Fist successors.

Perhaps we can come up with a universal fluff for all to use with regards to Primaris marines. Although I think we need to wait for C:SM 8 and/or a potential future C:BT before deciding. The book "Primaris Marines" from Dark Imperium is literally just for the preconfigured minis in the box itself and isn't a full army book by any means.

Black Templars don't need successors as we're split into crusades as needed rather than strict codex companies. There are similar chapters, though, and other Fist successors.

Perhaps we can come up with a universal fluff for all to use with regards to Primaris marines. Although I think we need to wait for C:SM 8 and/or a potential future C:BT before deciding. The book "Primaris Marines" from Dark Imperium is literally just for the preconfigured minis in the box itself and isn't a full army book by any means.

I certainly got my fluff. We're far above chapter strength, don't need reinforcements, and Codex: Sigismund said nothing about these silly Marines. Who am I to argue with our founding High Marshall; may as well left my armor yellow.

To quote Techmarine Tony Starkinus, "That's how dad did it, that's how the Templars did it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.'

I still refuse until they can be outfitted with CCW like real Crusaders. I may be in a growing minority here, but I'll not cave in to the new shiny until they can be outfitted as BTs that have volunteered for the upgrade to support the Crusade (that's my fluff and I'm sticking to it!). If GW never releases a variant like that, then I will never have them.

You're not alone brother.

Just to reiterate what I said before -- nothing changes, I too shall endure the temptation of adding, admittedly, coolish miniatures to my collection. I shall not declare that the so-called Primaris shall never join my force; however, this will not be the case in the foreseeable future. Despite that the starter box is extremely good value for money.

I need more information to make a decision and am most certainly not going to succumb to the (infectious and tempting) hype. I fear that the Primaris in the starter kit that are available now will soon become obsolete and better models, as well as better units, will follow. Moreover, for the time being, the available units do not have much to offer, apart from me wanting to have new stuff, and the only unit worth considering are the plasma gunners with their enhanced rifles.

And while I accepted the change, I still find the Primaris Marines as abominations, both in the fluff (they fell like are somewhat akin to Ogryns, which isn't very good) and in their implications for the fluff (in my opinion, their introduction cheapens the setting). As a disclaimer: I want to say this without any contempt and am keeping my fingers crossed for any and all of your Primaris projects!