Primaris and the Black Templars

Since I plan to truescale everything I can... it won't matter. There are no such things as primaris as GW knows them in my head cannon... just different sword bros with different stats... they aren't much taller than the truescale method I was researching anyways...

At 20 pts and no Chainsword they can't replace my infantry, they'd dwarf my HQs and wont scale with other models either.

Don't really see the point of these models, bigger armour for a slightly better bolter as standard? 

To me, close combat-orientation is key to my army. That is why I'm willing to pay the additional four points and get an Initiate and a Neophyte instead of one Primaris Marine. I suppose the extra four points are a worth it. When comparing to a single Primaris, with our combo you sacrifice the better bolter and a +3 on one wound, but get a fluffy due which can potentially produce twice the number of attacks in assault.

I honestly don't mind the inclusion of Primaris marines in the Black Templars chapter...however, rules-wise, they just aren't very good imo. The only one that I MIGHT consider, is the Hellblaster squad.

This is the same situation I'm in. I bought the starter box but the only ones I see myself using often are the four characters. All the shooting infantry just don't feel worth it.

Inceptors seem ok for Black Templars. It's an harassment unit of assault short range. They shoot the enemy, charge and attack with 2 attacks each (3 for the sergeant), fall back and start again. Thougness 5. Plus they inflict a mortal wound on 6 during a charge. 

I can even see them mixed with regular marines without problem due to appearance. 

I think they can remplace our traditional 5 initiates squad to hold objectives, as they move faster and hit harder. 

They will be much better with close combat weapons though. 

Edited by The Spanish Inquisitor

So I was perusing the new post from Warhammer Community about the new Primaris units and they started out talking about the captain, and then there was something about a filthy witch librarian which I skimmed over because it was all llike "blah blah blah..witches and stuff, blah blah blah, Black Templars..."  WAIT WHAT?!?  I read more closely and found this gem

Like the Captain, you’re free to customise the Librarian to suit any Chapter you like (barring the Black Templars, who refuse to tarry with any such foul sorcery!).

Then I saw these guys..

Hidden Content

40kPrimarisReiversReveal.jpgSigh, I guess I might get some Primaris after all(maybe not, well maybe, skull faces are cool), but that's entirely dependent on how these guys play in a CC role. ;)

So I was perusing the new post from Warhammer Community about the new Primaris units and they started out talking about the captain, and then there was something about a filthy witch librarian which I skimmed over because it was all llike "blah blah blah..witches and stuff, blah blah blah, Black Templars..."  WAIT WHAT?!?  I read more closely and found this gem

Like the Captain, you’re free to customise the Librarian to suit any Chapter you like (barring the Black Templars, who refuse to tarry with any such foul sorcery!).

Then I saw these guys..

Hidden Content

40kPrimarisReiversReveal.jpgSigh, I guess I might get some Primaris after all(maybe not, well maybe, skull faces are cool), but that's entirely dependent on how these guys play in a CC role. :wink:

they are just hideous, makes me wonder in what direction GW is moving with thei design. Seems like they are going full Scifi and away from grim crusading space knights....

These are gonna need to models I test myself. Before I make any judgments, but I don't think they are neccesary or useful for our boys. The best Primaris for our forces will be something like HellBlasters or Intercessors. Small Footprint, Sizable Attack, and acceptable fire range damage output. Reivers will provide nothing Crusaders don't already have. While they will likely fulfill Small Footprint and Sizable with pistols, their range output in comparison be nelgible. Even if they provide an additional attack (so 16 at 100, and 10 Wounds vs 8 wounds at 98 and 19 attacks). Our Crusaders do it better for cheaper. Where Intercessors 10 shots vs Crusader 16. However they Rapid at 15 vs 12. And are effective in close combat still but lack the Crusaders bodies. Additionally any Primaris unit will be vulnerable to something like Autocannons. Close Combat Primaris more so given they have to cross the field. Where Intercessors and Hellblasters can advance in a slower manner hug cover and take shot pots as our Crusaders close the distance.

If Reivers infiltrate my assessment will change. To being something they make good forward units to distract and do damage as our boys cross the field. However Intercessors wowed me, so maybe these guys will too?

They're not going for Sci-Fi, more like Ghost recon if you ask me... :p

Reivers seem to be the Scouts of Primaris, albeit they are not trainees, but more akin to how SPace Wolves use Scouts... Primaris just in Carapace armour...

Still not taking them... classic Marines are classic...

Also, I might just roll back my fluff watch to M39 just to adjust to the fact that there will be absolutely NO PRIMARIS in my force...

They're not going for Sci-Fi, more like Ghost recon if you ask me... :tongue.:

Reivers seem to be the Scouts of Primaris, albeit they are not trainees, but more akin to how SPace Wolves use Scouts... Primaris just in Carapace armour...

Still not taking them... classic Marines are classic...

Also, I might just roll back my fluff watch to M39 just to adjust to the fact that there will be absolutely NO PRIMARIS in my force...

I don't even have to do that, my Crusade is in the Jericho Reach on the otherside of the galaxy(and the warp rift) from Terra ;)

The models aren't bad, they just don't look like Space Marines.  The silhouette goes to hell from the waist down in particular, but the lack of proper bulky pauldrons isn't great either.

From the line about 'silenced' pistols I imagine they are infiltrating/scouting melee units?  

Still shooting a suped up explosive rocket pistol that likely has more recoil than any modern day analog? I mean I see where you're coming from, but proper form is proper form for a reason. Meh. I guess this could still be chalked up to "lost knowledge". :wink:

The only reason I even make this suggestion is because so much of the new Primaris stuff seems to bringing in a very modern, contemporary military aesthetic. The Intercessors, their stance, the armor scaling, the way they have their web gear layed out, all of it screams contemporary military styling. Personally, I like it. The Hovertank too also follows a lot of modern aesthetic. The Dreadnought and the Inceptor jetpack dudes? Yeah not sure about those, that's more left field haha. Other than the Inceptors being literally a Space Marine Crisis Suit in concept. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404