Hanky-panky in fanfic - bounds of taste on the B&C?

bluntblade

This is really just for future reference, but in postings in this subforum, how far is a frater permitted to go? Working on the basis that ASoIaF is a step too far, does the line correlate with BL - Graham McNeil's written that Fulgrim had him asking "is this OK?" so I generally consider that the outer limit for the HH.

In my opinion, if you ever broach the subject - in an oblique manner or not - is that you "keep it classy". You could probably allude to bedroom liaisons with little problem, whereas being more graphic not only becomes questionably legal in terms of B&C's rules, but also runs the risk of simply coming off as crude. It will depend on context and content, obviously, but at least attempting to avoid whatever you write sounding like smut should help steer you away from being too coarse. 

Now, I'm well aware of the dichotomy within western society regarding the adult nature of violence and the adult nature of sex. One, in many places but not all, is more acceptable when depicted in any form of media but the other tends to be viewed from a more prudish stance. Of course it's easy to stand and say "we're all adults" and "if we have one, then why not the other?" but that is assuming that both can be treated the same by everyone. I think they cannot - personal opinions plus several other factors are at work, cultural mostly. There's also the small matter of some of our members not actually being adults, but I digress.

I vaguely remember what happened in Fulgrim, so I sort of know what you are talking about when you mention the book, but I'd advise that if you see that book to be the "outer limit" of what is acceptable, then steer a couple of degrees shy of what that book describes. Or, if you feel it necessary, ask a Mod about your material and whether it is admissible as it is. 

Archived