The new Dark Imperium novel

DogWelder

DarkImpBook

So the new Dark Imperium book is set to release and supposedly features a post-Gathering Storm Guilliman. What do you guys think about it? The author is Guy Haley and he seems to have a pretty good grasp of writing Ultramarines.

I greatly enjoyed his work in "Pharos" and the "Laurel of Defiance" short story. Represented the 13th Legion very well. I personally love how he featured the Novamarines and Scythes of the Emperor while they were still part of the Legion before they became their own chapter.

Slight peeve: I wish there was more artwork of 40k Guilliman with expressions other than a perpetual scowl.

Honestly I have thoroughly enjoyed the 'Angry Guilliman' fiction post his waking up to the gong show that is the current Imperium.

I was -really- hoping we would see Calgar in action on Macragge after the initial Chaos incursion while Guilliman was traveling to Terra. I mean that must have been really, really intense. Black Legion/Red Corsairs, etc are literally on the door step of Guilliman's stasis chamber, then he wakes up, and travels to terra.

I have that lasting impression of that scene where Guilliman starts plowing through Black Legion Termies, and he sees the fallen Calgar, he pauses over Calgar briefly, and looks down at him. Calgar opens an eye, Guilliman satisfied that Calgar is alive, rages onward....

But he did leave Calgar quite the mess to clean up. Calgar probably picked up a lot from the Primarch as they tried to reclaim airspace around Macragge.

Now Guilliman's back and this must really feel like the "Burning of Calth" all over again!

I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

In fairness, after reading Gathering Storm, I think "perpetual scowl" sums up Guilliman pretty well.

I want to see you taking a nap, waking up after 9000 years, finding out the majority of the known world are raving lunatics, your house is blown up by a crashing plane and a horde of marauding extra-lunatics are charging you before you even had time to have a coffee. I think "perpetual scowl" is a very appropriate reponse :D

In fairness, after reading Gathering Storm, I think "perpetual scowl" sums up Guilliman pretty well.

I want to see you taking a nap, waking up after 9000 years, finding out the majority of the known world are raving lunatics, your house is blown up by a crashing plane and a horde of marauding extra-lunatics are charging you before you even had time to have a coffee. I think "perpetual scowl" is a very appropriate reponse :D
Yup. Didn't say otherwise.

No kidding.... I just saw the CAD price and did a double take. With all the stuff coming out in the same week it would have been nice for GW to give us a break. I may have to delay buying that one til I read some reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

When I finish I will. The Ultramar in M42 thread below summarizes a good portion of the book.

I like the way RG is portrayed. He's keenly aware that everything is wrong, but he also knows there is no easy fix either.

I added the hardcover to my upcoming order at the FLGS. :smile.: Can't wait to read it, even though I've already read some spoilers online.

Hidden Content
Including the interactions between Guilliman and Ventris. Nerdgasm!

Surely that makes that guy canon!? PRAISE BE!

Reading it now.

Loved the start as they prepared to battle Fulgrim. Loved that battle. Guy Haley captured the urgency of it SO well! I'm well beyond the beginning of the novel and I'm still really enjoying it.

He also did well introducing the Primaris, and the squad he focuses on is a solid intimate portrait of these new marines going forward.

I was a fan of Guy Haley's when he first started. He has not disappointed and he is solid so far. Ye, enjoyed Pharos too!

When I was entering the table top game a couple years ago, it has reminded me why it came down to the Ultramarines and the Blood Angels as to what army I would invest in and play!

Edited by Helias Tancred

Reading it now.

Loved the start as they prepared to battle Fulgrim. Loved that battle. Guy Haley captured the urgency of it SO well! I'm well beyond the beginning of the novel and I'm still really enjoying it.

He also did well introducing the Primaris, and the squad he focuses on is a solid intimate portrait of these new marines going forward.

I was a fan of Guy Haley's when he first started. He has not disappointed and he is solid so far. Ye, enjoyed Pharos too!

When I was entering the table top game a couple years ago, it has reminded me why it came down to the Ultramarines and the Blood Angels as to what army I would invest in and play!

How's the portayal of Guilliman? From the leaks I got to read, he appeared more of a dictator, something I dislike.

Reading it now.

How's the portayal of Guilliman? From the leaks I got to read, he appeared more of a dictator, something I dislike.

That's an interesting take on it, but I see it a little differently...

You ever get to the point where your parents let you stay alone at the house while they go somewhere for the weekend, and you promise it's all going to be okay, but then they get home and there's a dead lady in the bath tub and drug dealers passed out on the lawn?

That's kind of how I see Guilliman and that's a continuation of his 'presence' in Gathering Storm III. He's just come home to a sink full of dishes and the goldfish is being eaten by the cat... he's just furious about it. 

Reading it now.

That's an interesting take on it, but I see it a little differently...

You ever get to the point where your parents let you stay alone at the house while they go somewhere for the weekend, and you promise it's all going to be okay, but then they get home and there's a dead lady in the bath tub and drug dealers passed out on the lawn?

That's kind of how I see Guilliman and that's a continuation of his 'presence' in Gathering Storm III. He's just come home to a sink full of dishes and the goldfish is being eaten by the cat... he's just furious about it.

I do not have an issue with what he does. I have an issue with how he does it. He reminds me of the Injustice Superman, a the end justifies the means guy. For example, he said the planetary governors will fall in line or die. That is careless and cruel. He seems like he lost his patience. Gathering Storm did not paint a picture of a cliché (maybe a little), but a human being. I have said before that physical attributes are not what make you human, but your soul. This is why I was so excited about the model, to find a leader worth something in 40k. I was hoping for an Augustus, but he slowly seems to turning into a Nero, if you understand what I am saying. This seems to be building up a resistance inside of me. Yes, I take morality very serious, to a point where I wouldn't associate with injustice and downright evilness in a game. It makes me feel highly uneasy :D

That is careless and cruel. He seems like he lost his patience.

I don't know about careless but I will say I've read many examples of the Emperor acting a lot like this. When it comes to political governors I could see him acting like that. Political agendas are dangerous and the way the Imperium is written, it really is not a democracy and I bet a lot of political agendas are for personal gain. He sees them as a dangerous cancer to the larger goal.

I also imagine he expects resistance. You're going to have a lot of fat cats that are used to doing things their way now some 10,000 year napping dude is telling your your reign is over. He's probably aware he's also going to lose some pretty strong political types with the best of intentions, but can he take that chance?

But I have read far more examples of him caring about the civilians, and worlds he's fought for even against. I just think he has zero patience for political posturing and is choosing to not mince words.

Conversely, playing devil's advocate, if this is way of operating for good, with every one, and every situation, and this is the new 'normal', then perhaps something is wrong with him? He's been through hell, and is subjected to the most bizarre ritual to bring him back from the brink.

Perhaps this will play out in a larger story?

Yes, he does feel a bit authoritarian and Calgar notes it as well. Then again, you have to remember he's trying to put the 500 worlds Ultramar back together just like back in the glory days of the Great Crusade Era and perhaps even more. 

Here's a direct quote:

“The murmuring broke out into audible protests.
‘You would have your own Legion?’ said a female diplomat. ‘My lord, what is your intention?’
‘You say I have a Legion,’ said Guilliman, his tone dangerously low, ‘when I myself expressly forbid their formation or use?’
The woman had a choice to either sit down or to press forward. Bravely, she chose the latter. ‘Your nine divisions of the Unnumbered Sons were said to be a Legion.’
‘They were not,’ said Guilliman. ‘We deal with semantics. The Unnumbered Sons were organised into Chapters, as are the new defenders of Ultramar.’ He swept his steely gaze across the crowd again. ‘Listen to me. My intention is to save your lives, and the Imperium. Put aside your selfish concerns. Negate the disappointment I have felt in common humanity since awakening. Show me that my hopes for our species were not unfounded. Impress me with your wisdom.”

Excerpt From: Guy Haley. “Dark Imperium.” iBooks. 

Yes, he does feel a bit authoritarian and Calgar notes it as well. Then again, you have to remember he's trying to put the 500 worlds Ultramar back together just like back in the glory days of the Great Crusade Era and perhaps even more. 

Here's a direct quote:

‘You would have your own Legion?’ said a female diplomat. ‘My lord, what is your intention?’
‘You say I have a Legion,’ said Guilliman, his tone dangerously low, ‘when I myself expressly forbid their formation or use?’
The woman had a choice to either sit down or to press forward. Bravely, she chose the latter. ‘Your nine divisions of the Unnumbered Sons were said to be a Legion.’
‘They were not,’ said Guilliman. ‘We deal with semantics. The Unnumbered Sons were organised into Chapters, as are the new defenders of Ultramar.’ He swept his steely gaze across the crowd again. ‘Listen to me. My intention is to save your lives, and the Imperium. Put aside your selfish concerns. Negate the disappointment I have felt in common humanity since awakening. Show me that my hopes for our species were not unfounded. Impress me with your wisdom.”

Wow, that is some heavy stuff. Telling others to back down and humble themselves, while proclaiming that he knows best. I do not know the context, but it seems to me that Guilliman really tries to circumvent (his own) rules but finding loopholes, but is not impressed when others call him out on it. Instead of explaining why the things he does are good, he just says that they are, again though, I lack context. What does it matter in the end if they are Chapters. They are of the same gene seed, active in the same hierarchy under the same commander. Guilliman is so focused to not letting the Heresy happen again that he is forgetting that he himself is moving down the path of tyranny.

To me, it seems he has his own agenda, known only to him. Boy, do I dislike that. He tries to rebuild the Imperium to its former glory and yet he is building i on secrecy. While it makes it a very intruiging storyline and twists around very corner, personally, it makes me despise Guilliman. If this continues, I will inevitably see him as the other spectrum of villany as opposed to what Chaos is. Maybe he is not aware of it, but that does not make it better.

But part of me is looking forward to it, because this has the potential to be very solid.

Here's a direct quote:

Wow, that is some heavy stuff. Telling others to back down and humble themselves, while proclaiming that he knows best. I do not know the context, but it seems to me that Guilliman really tries to circumvent (his own) rules but finding loopholes, but is not impressed when others call him out on it. Instead of explaining why the things he does are good, he just says that they are, again though, I lack context. What does it matter in the end if they are Chapters. They are of the same gene seed, active in the same hierarchy under the same commander. Guilliman is so focused to not letting the Heresy happen again that he is forgetting that he himself is moving down the path of tyranny.

To me, it seems he has his own agenda, known only to him. Boy, do I dislike that. He tries to rebuild the Imperium to its former glory and yet he is building i on secrecy. While it makes it a very intruiging storyline and twists around very corner, personally, it makes me despise Guilliman. If this continues, I will inevitably see him as the other spectrum of villany as opposed to what Chaos is. Maybe he is not aware of it, but that does not make it better.

But part of me is looking forward to it, because this has the potential to be very solid.

I think he is focused on rebuilding Ultramar at this point and simply defending the Imperium. He wants Ultramar to prosper first and then spread its prosperity to the Imperium. Also, you have to keep in mind that his rule is largely accepted my the vast majority of Ultramar's citizens. It is only the nobles and the rich who are arguing with him. This makes him look a bit better:

“My people!’ the primarch said. He stood upright. ‘My captains, my sons, my loyal citizens, you do not understand. These changes will benefit us all, and in time will aid the Imperium. I intend to make Ultramar a model of what the Imperium can be. Look beyond your own borders – you will see our empire is crumbling! I will shore up the walls and make it great again. With the Five Hundred Worlds secure, we shall become a beacon of reason and hope. From here, the reconquest of the galaxy can begin.”