The Lion, Wolf King, and Howl of the Hearthworld

I'm predicting this now... HH 54: The Last Gate - Within the scarlet shadow of angelic wings are legends made - Written by A D-B, released December 2019 :rolleyes:

LOL. Well played ;) But you are wrong with the number - HH titles 49-55 - all recycled stuff of shorts and audios for you again - just to milk you a little bit more :)

HH 59: The Last Gate - Released December 2021 ;)

Including five or six other Legionaries in one novel out of several isn't a big deal

It really isn't a big deal

I'm looking forward to whatever Siege novel you put forth

Like I said...glad the Watch Pack on Terra has not been forgotten

especially when I said they'd be main characters with a Blood Angel. Like... we can't all write White Scars and Imperial Fists novels. Let some of us do other stuff, I beg ya.

Sounds good to me...

In fact, some SW + WS cooperation at the Siege would be very interesting to read (or SW + BA)

As long as it doesn't turn out like much of Abnett's output, where his characters tend to overshadow the ongoing events. John Grammaticus, as an example, was a neat idea in Legion but has since become pretty overbearing in my opinion.

Either way, I'm lukewarm on the idea as of now. Howl of the Hearthworld itself didn't do much for me I'm afraid, probably due to the short story format. It had neat ideas but didn't enthrall me like a lot of AD-B's other stuff. Kinda like the Anti-Kyme: The more room Aaron has to tell his stories, the better they tend to be, whereas Nick's short stories average on pretty satisfying whereas his novels falter a bit.

Of course, that's just how I see things. Unlike certain others, I don't mean to speak for anybody else.

As long as it doesn't turn out like much of Abnett's output, where his characters tend to overshadow the ongoing events. John Grammaticus, as an example, was a neat idea in Legion but has since become pretty overbearing in my opinion.

Either way, I'm lukewarm on the idea as of now. Howl of the Hearthworld itself didn't do much for me I'm afraid, probably due to the short story format. It had neat ideas but didn't enthrall me like a lot of AD-B's other stuff. Kinda like the Anti-Kyme: The more room Aaron has to tell his stories, the better they tend to be, whereas Nick's short stories average on pretty satisfying whereas his novels falter a bit.

Of course, that's just how I see things. Unlike certain others, I don't mean to speak for anybody else.

Exactly. ': The more room Aaron has to tell his stories, the better they tend to be, whereas Nick's short stories average on pretty satisfying whereas his novels falter a bit.' - and exactly again. Totally agree with DC again.

There is not a version of limited edition I wouldn't buy to see AD-B pen this novel. Someone que the Phillip J. Fry meme about the taking of my money.

You don't need to but Limiteds to see A D-B pen this novel, lol :wink:

I can't find the Master of Mankind thread but AD-B if you're able to answer, when The Emperor is communicating with Ra and transports them to Ullanor he tells Ra that only three primarchs asked him when he emerged when he did. Are you able to tell us which three asked and why?

I'm not going to lie, I'll be crushed if you don't write the final show down between Emperor and Horus ADB.

Crushed.

Ha! Blass you, dude, but Dan should do it. Nothing else makes sense. He started, he should close it out.

I'd love, love, love Sanguinius at the Eternity Gate, though. My fingers are crossed. 

Every author should be able to write something for the Big E vs Horus fight. At least one line as a recognition of their work.

Or Dan should write it. He started it at all. He should have the chance to end it as well.

*edit*

Ninja'd by A D-B. ^^

Edited by Kelborn

I'm not going to lie, I'll be crushed if you don't write the final show down between Emperor and Horus ADB.

Crushed.

Ha! Blass you, dude, but Dan should do it. Nothing else makes sense. He started, he should close it out.

I'd love, love, love Sanguinius at the Eternity Gate, though. My fingers are crossed. 

Don't do this to me AD-B. Don't you play with my heart this way. There is now nothing else in the series I want to see more than this. Well, that and more of John French's wonderful Sigismund at the Siege. 

Crushed.

Totally agree with you mighty sir.  And we do hope you or Haley will do Sangy at the Eternity Gate :whistling:

What are people's thoughts on those short stories in the subject?

The Lion - I liked it, I can see why it's a controversial one to some, but I enjoyed it.

Wolf King - Solid novella. If Prospero Burns was a look at the VIth Legion, Wolf King is the look at Leman Russ himself, and how the war is affecting him.

Howl of the Hearthworld - Great stuff, really looking forward to seeing more of them at some point.

Crushed.

Totally agree with you mighty sir.  And we do hope you or Haley will do Sangy at the Eternity Gate :whistling:

Sigh...while I respect what you are saying here guys...well my fanboyism prevents me from being impartial. I just hope you get to have some feedback on the event. :p

I liked Wolf King, I got the limited edition one. Good read.

On the subject of Watch Packs and every Primarch having one?

Where was ours then? Or did they die fighting alongside the Morlocks on Istvaan V?

Crushed.

That would be incredible, but what would be even better is continuing that on to his duel with Horus.

After all, to quote 1D4 and your tendencies for brutally murdering fan favorite characters, 'Reading his books, especially the Horus Heresy ones, is like watching him rip your heart out and chew on it while he coos "Was it good for you too?"'

Really though, aside from the end of Galaxy in Flames, you've written some of the most traumatic scenes in the settings and done them very well. I don't think I would want any other BL author to cover Sanguinius' final moments.

In wich book / novel / short / whatever is the NL Watch Pack covered?

The short "The Watcher".

Sons of Horus Watch Pack covered in Weregeld.

Good point, forgot that one. 

Edited by Tymell

I liked Wolf King, I got the limited edition one. Good read.

On the subject of Watch Packs and every Primarch having one?

Where was ours then? Or did they die fighting alongside the Morlocks on Istvaan V?

My understanding is that the Watch Packs were sent out either after the Istvaan massacre or simultaneous to it, so the one for the Iron Hands probably never made it. Or the Watch Pack assigned to the X Legion made a joke about "sum udder bas'rd geddin' that head furst!" in typical space viking fashion.

The one assigned to the XIX Legion gets....sidetracked... in http:// http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/raptor-cd.html

In wich book / novel / short / whatever is the NL Watch Pack covered?

The short "The Watcher".

Sons of Horus Watch Pack covered in Weregeld.

Good point, forgot that one. 

Ah great tidbits. Need to read up on those.

Speaking of Watch Packs and what they did....

Compilation of what we know about them:

I Dark Angels: unknown

II n/a

III Emperor's Children: n/a due to mild case of being traitor

IV Iron Warriors: traitoritis

V White Scars: unknown, but speculation would be that they tried to find the V Legion, but based on the events of Scars through Path of Heaven, and the WS general slipperiness, it's a safe guess they never made it

VI Space Wolves: n/a for obvious reasons

VII: Imperial Fists: see Howl of the Hearthworld

VIII: Night Lords: see The Watcher

IX: Blood Angels: get a mild case of"Red Thirst-ed" by the BA due to the chaos machinations in Fear to Tread

X: Iron Hands: unknown, but probably were not sent due to how badly mauled the X got after Istvaan

XI: n/a

XII: World Eaters: unknown

XIII: Ultramarines: lounge near the fireplace outside Guilliman's study, generally being bored and trying to make themselves useful (kinda). See Unremembered Empire and other Imperium Secundus stories.

XIV: Death Guard: unknown

XV: Thousand Sons: see Prospero Burns

XVI: Sons of Horus: see Weregeld

XVII: Word Bearers: see X Legion entry above

XVIII: Salamanders: see X Legion entry above

XIX:  Raven Guard: see (listen) Raptor audio drama

XX: Alpha Legion: Alpha Legion gonna' Alpha Legion. SW don't end up so well as seen in Hunter's Moon.

EDIT: added Alpha Legion

Edited by Indefragable

Indefragable

'Alpha Legion: juicy one. Probably same as the other Istvaaners' - nope, Watch Pack assigned to AL was killed by Alpharius in Hunter's Moon (Audio Drama) by Haley.

Good catch. I'll update.

I forgot about that one. I actually read it in the anthology. I didn't realize it was about a Watchpack lol.