The Lion, Wolf King, and Howl of the Hearthworld

I assume he means Sevatar.

Personally I've been thinking the same thing ever since their duel was mentioned in prince of crows - no way they'd mention that without some pay off, especially with Sigismund's comment.

Well Sevatar is probably survive the Heresy - to contradict everything that is known. What will die is 'his name' and that means his 'death'.

Personally I've been thinking the same thing ever since their duel was mentioned in prince of crows - no way they'd mention that without some pay off, especially with Sigismund's comment.

Well Sevatar is probably survive the Heresy - to contradict everything that is known. What will die is 'his name' and that means his 'death'.

Has the theory about:

him being one of the first eight Grand Masters of the Grey Knights been debunked yet? I'm a fan of it, personally. There seem to be a lot of hints in that direction, between the statue and it's text, his disillusionment with everything (what better enemy to fight than daemons for a man like that? No questions to ask, they're evil and they hurt humanity) - though originally the Knights-Errant were loyalists from traitor legions due to them needing such massive resolve to withstand the temptations of Chaos. I could see that being an issue, but who knows?

Mmm, he might have lost all belief but what else is there for him? Somehow I don't see Sevatar retiring on an agriworld and becoming a local taxidermy expert :biggrin.:

True. Though Sevatar's problem is kinda-sorta-directly laid out in 'The Long Night'. It's just not explicit, yet.

So long as Sevatar's end isn't like the one Tom Cruise had on the invasion beach in Edge of Tomorrow. Running along trying not to die, again, and gets run over by a truck. If its a really big daemon possessed truck it might work. Have the truck yell something about chaos not needing brakes.

So long as Sevatar's end isn't like the one Tom Cruise had on the invasion beach in Edge of Tomorrow. Running along trying not to die, again, and gets run over by a truck. If its a really big daemon possessed truck it might work. Have the truck yell something about chaos not needing brakes.

The Chaos Train Truck has no brakes? Maybe the train from the UM series could work, though I'd hate to have yet another pointless cameo.

Mmm, he might have lost all belief but what else is there for him? Somehow I don't see Sevatar retiring on an agriworld and becoming a local taxidermy expert :biggrin.:

True. Though Sevatar's problem is kinda-sorta-directly laid out in 'The Long Night'. It's just not explicit, yet.

I'm curious to see where that leads. Pure speculation below, along with spoilers for the above short.

So there is a whole lot of mystery surrounding this guy's fate. There are a few theories going around too, like becoming the grand master of the Grey Knight's 8th brotherhood, though with Fel Zharost also being one of the Knights Errant it could very well be him.

He also declared that he was neither for Horus nor the Emperor, but justice - don't know how well that would sit in an order based on supreme loyalty to the Emperor. To counter the above, though, the general attitude of the VIII was derision towards the warp and those who courted it, which does fit in.

I could see him founding one of the chapters responsible for guard duty over the most dangerous parts of the galaxy - think Ghoul Stars, the chapters that overwatch warp rifts, or stationed near burgeoning alien empires. To do that, though, he would have to somehow receive pardon for his sins, which I have no doubt at all would require Malcador.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure of any way for Sevatar to survive - and continue to make a difference - without returning to Terra before Horus, and seeking Malcador for penance. Otherwise, he's going to be on the wrong side of the Scouring, and you can't hide Nostroman eyes. Or the fact that you're one of the most skilled hand to hand combatants in all of the legions.

The only way I see him surviving through the Heresy without that is a self-imposed exile, perhaps deciding to go on a rampage through whatever xenos he funds until he dies.

But looking at the second to last paragraph of The Long Night:

'When he dreams now it is not of the dead, but of the endless night between worlds. The deepest void, where a thousand threats drift, away from the light of loyal suns. The domains of aliens and monsters forced into exile by the Great Crusade, still crying out to be extinguished once and for all. The true threats to mankind' - to me, this is on the same level as "The Sixteenth (or It)/Him" from Master of Mankind in its ambiguity. We now see that his desire is to take the fight to those threats, which are just ambiguous enough to keep options open.

We know the Deathwatch wasn't formed until many, many years later, so he obviously has no part of that, but he refers to both aliens and monsters, which - to me - sounds like daemons, so the Grey Knights are back on the table.

In short, I don't think I got anywhere with this. I also don't think it definitively shut down any of the currently available avenues (Remain a traitor, become independent, death, or returning to the Emperor) for his story to take.

That paragraph also sounds a bit like the Carcharodon's purpose, imho.

Hunting in the void, annihilating all of the remaining threats of the Imperium.

Though this is unlikely, a cooperation between A D-B and RobMac covering Sev's fate and some interactions with the Terranborn & exiled Raven Guard Astartes would be HUGE!

That paragraph also sounds a bit like the Carcharodon's purpose, imho.

Hunting in the void, annihilating all of the remaining threats of the Imperium.

Though this is unlikely, a cooperation between A D-B and RobMac covering Sev's fate and some interactions with the Terranborn & exiled Raven Guard Astartes would be HUGE!

Me and Alan Bligh worked out Sev's fate together a few years back. Or rather, I said to Alan "Is this a good idea?" and he did all the work by saying "Yes, here's how you make it work and why it makes sense."

Thanks for the insight.

I wonder if we will ever get to know his ultimate fate though.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that you and Alan did well with him. :)

Has the theory about:

him being one of the first eight Grand Masters of the Grey Knights been debunked yet? I'm a fan of it, personally. There seem to be a lot of hints in that direction, between the statue and it's text, his disillusionment with everything (what better enemy to fight than daemons for a man like that? No questions to ask, they're evil and they hurt humanity) - though originally the Knights-Errant were loyalists from traitor legions due to them needing such massive resolve to withstand the temptations of Chaos. I could see that being an issue, but who knows?

I think it's not it - never believed it would be so, still think it would end up with the death of his 'name', not the guy in person.

On the other hand - the twist of making him the pale one for the Sharks is good, but don't think it would be so too. Again - as FW books  (Retribution book) said - space sharks (ashen claws) attacked and destroyed Nostramo (in that time Sev was a prisoner)

• 2 weeks later...

Yup...in light of Sev's current condition, I don't really see a Sig vs. Sev duel at the Siege happening

It's an interesting "what if" though

If the case 'what if' could be applied here at all. And anyway Sigi by the point of the Siege of the Imperial Palace would have been unstoppable.