Storm Eagle Painting Ideas

Pbenner

So,

I have a pair of Storm Eagles that are painted, but only to the barest extent of the word.  I have not done much if any of the detail work, and they're looking rather sparse with base of Bleached Bone and only the Pilot and Cockpit really having any contrasting Color (I put a Ravenwing Pilot in my Deathwing Steagle)  

I would like to add a little more color to them, but I'm not sure exactly what I want to do.  Since the entire body is just the base color, I have a good bit of room to work with.  

Part of my idea was to take the Deathwing Logo and stretch it a little bit, and to paint the red Sword with Rings so that the sword stretched from the Nose to the Tail and then do the wings of the logo on the rear wings of the Steagle.  While this may not look correct with stretching, it does give me some contrast to the pure bone white.  

The other option would be to paint some pieces on the chassis in different colors that complement the bone white.  Pickout a panel in Green, or Red, or Black, something along those lines.  

Does anyone have any examples of well done Deathwing Storm Eagles I could steal ideas from, or am I shooting in the dark?  

Best,

Paul

That's a well done Storm Raven for sure.  It's very close to what I wanted to aim for.  I would flip the emblem and stretch it a bit.  I will probably try to pencil down an idea of my model tonight and see where that goes.  Part of the problem is that these two chassis are quite different in the back end of the wings, esp with the missile launchers. Thanks for the dig though! :D  

Best,

Paul

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/18838507_10154898973798937_495539995_o_zpsdxte5p9d.jpg

Need to make sure I like the balance on the wing that's painted and that everything I want is painted on it before I go to mirror the other side.  It's not as clean as it looks as the camera sucks, but will need to make some touch ups, which I'm sure I can do.  

Opinions?  I think it needs more yet, but this is a start...

Yard work was calling this morning, but when I woke up it was WAY to wet to do anything yet, so I had about an hour.  

I did most of the second wing, and I need to take a clear look at pictures and the model it's self and add some more red in a few places to make the logo "correct" I think, but they're minor.  

Was done (mostly) free hand with a ruler and a small straight edge in pencil and then painted in.  There will be some other color yet to add to it, but I don't know.  

It currently lacks ANY green, so I was considering painting the wing(s) somehow in Caliban Green...

Thoughts;

Deathwing generally have one shoulder done in green.  Maybe make this the same on the Storm Eagle?  Paint one of the rear wings in green or partly in green?  

Symmetrical or A symmetrical would be the question, or any other thoughts I would love to entertain.  I'm not so great on my lore anymore.  

Paul

Deathwing generally have one shoulder done in green.

Only mine, as far as I know.

Maybe make this the same on the Storm Eagle?  Paint one of the rear wings in green or partly in green?

I would do both or none. On the other hand, there are these inset panels on the front hull that make a great location for spot colors, like this:

Imagine it in reverse

rhino_step1.jpg

Deathwing generally have one shoulder done in green.

Only mine, as far as I know.

Maybe make this the same on the Storm Eagle?  Paint one of the rear wings in green or partly in green?

I would do both or none. On the other hand, there are these inset panels on the front hull that make a great location for spot colors, like this:

Imagine it in reverse

rhino_step1.jpg

My Deathwing also have one shoulder in green.  The shoulder with their Crux is green on ALL of my Terminators (Deathwing, Deathwing Knights, Librarians, Interrogator Chaplains, etc.)  

I do like the reverse of your Rhino, I may do this, but it might not be enough depending.  I may do some other parts as well or a stencil or something in Green.  I wish I could freehand paint, I'd put something better on.  

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/18870515_10154901617913937_1378590658_o_zpsfwxq88nb.jpg

This isn't quite finished but is close.  I'm still touching up little things I notice while working on other models.  I'm about convinced on the green.  Probably going to do it shortly, or start it.  Will give me a place to put some nice transfers of the DA emblem on the side I think.  

Have started working on the early stages of my Land Raider Crusader while I'm doing this project.  Is nice to have something to bounce in between.  

Best,

Paul

Archived