I would not normally post here as I do not think I am good enough of a writer, I will always maintain I have good ideas but my practical is lacking. So enough of theself deprecating humour. Enjoy.

This is a start to my new Blades... I got some help from Olis between him and @Grand Master Belial they have helped refine my very rough writing into something worth reading... They have be instrumental in so much of my Blades of Alaric. I can never thank them enough.

Any conflict GW produce to what I write I will change to reflect this.

The Choice

Johan stood with Grand Cross Lothar Arkley and other members of the Unforgiven, to his left a grand master clad in jet black armour, the crimson stripe standing out on his bifurcated helm. The armour itself was from the Imperium's early days, but it was his scabbarded sword that stood out - an impossibly thin blade, glowing with Dark Age technologies from within, sheathed in the finest Terran synthetic leather. To his right a similarly clad, black-armoured master brooded, the cowl of his hood hiding all but his grin. The winged hooded skull on his tabard belied his chapter, while his own holstered weapons spoke of his station. Johan knew of at least four chapter masters in attendance, and many of the others by reputation. All awaited Lord Azraels statement.

Not everyone had knowledge of what Azrael was about to deliver, though some had guessed it to be the Primaris Project. They believed it was time to decide who would take the gene therapy that could be applied to their own chapters.

Lord Azrael silenced his brothers with a raised hand, the whole gathering focused on the supreme grand master.

‘Brothers you know why we gather today, I thank you all for attending during this time of turmoil. As some of you are aware we have received visitors from Mars. A new chapter of space marines using our very blood, sons of the Lion, will occur. The Blades of Vengeance have been chosen for this honour.”

Murmurs broke out in the crowd, some concerned, others aghast, a few intrigued. Johan looked to his friend and gave a concerned look only for his Brother to shake his head. Johan knew to stay his tongue.

Azrael waited, his stern visage all that was needed until the Council fell silent. He continued. 

“We have also been informed that we ourselves can be given this gene therapy. I will say this brothers - adding these ‘Primaris’ to our ranks through trusted brothers would be the preferred way. To that end I held a separate council with six other chapter masters and consulted the tarot to determine who would first become this new breed.’

Again the gathered Unforgiven began to converse. Azrael gave them a moment before signalling for quiet. He pointed at Johan.

“The knight commander has ever proven himself a defender of our ways. He shall be the first of our gathering to accept the gifts Mars brings and merge them with our goals.”

Johan could not keep his council any longer. He looked Lord Azrael in the eye and with his fist across the aquila on his armour he declared “I will not fail, Lord. ”

Grand Cross Arkley, Johan's superior, placed his hand on the commander's pauldron, “I've long considered you my successor, brother, but it seems it is not meant to be, I am honoured to have served with you brother.” He offered his arm in the warrior's grip, Johan returned the gesture.

It was a lot to take in - what was the Primaris Project? It seemed he was to be given his own command outside the Blades of Alaric. He adamantly resolved that he would not fail his peers.

The warrior in the ancient black armour nodded in approval to Johan. He heard a few dissenting voices, one saying that they deserved the honour. The brother in the cowl lowered his hood to reveal himself as Master Adrastros, a consummate warrior and Johan had fought with at his side in six battles. Adrastros was grinning.

"Always trying to outshine the rest of us, Johan?" He said.

Johan grinned back at the older warrior, “You knew more than you told me in our earlier meeting." Adrastros feigned innocence as he gripped Johan's arm. 

“I look forward to our next war at each other's side, brother.” Johan nodded.

Azrael spoke again.

“My brothers, I present to you the new chapter master of the Consecrated Blades - Johan!” The gathering cheered. “Now brothers, let us meet these new Dark Angels.”

The supreme grand master brought the council to a close, and the masters started to make their way to the landing bay where the 3rd company of the Blades of Vengeance awaited the lord of the Dark Angels. The gathering cleared leaving Johan and Lothar on their own. Johan turned to his former commander. 

“I am humbled Lord Arkley, most are happy with my appointment but I am not sure what it all means. I know I am now a chapter master. It is an honour I never expected or asked for.”

They began to walk after the rest of the officers through the Rock.

Arkley replied, “It is in warriors like you that we are to entrust these new astartes. You and the 3rd Company will be merged with a chapter of these new Primaris marines. The 3rd will be given the gene therapy to blend in with your new brothers,” Arkley laughed, “We cannot be having your new charges towering over you...”

Archived