A Skjald's Tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

A Skjald's Tale of the Days of Darkness

Let me tell you about my time with the people of Fenris. Let me tell you of when the Galaxy was burning around mankind and doubt and deceit found true grip in the hearts of even the most righteous men.

It was in these days, the days of darkness, that I discovered the true meaning of fear, of hope and, above all, of valour.

These were lessons taught to me by strange people -Vlka, as they refer to themselves- who would sell foreigners an image of barbarity and laughter but could not hide from their own hearts, try as they might, the melancholy that weighted in all of their souls. For if you must know only one thing about them, is that they love humanity. They love it so much, that they are ready to shed away their own and embrace the beast fate has them marked to be in order to save all of us. For do not fool yourself, every son of Fenris is marked to die the day he is born, and there are fates worse than death they will have to walk through before earning that final rest.

But don't stand quite so far. The fire is still warm and the mead abundant. Come, sit down besides me and let me tell you about the sons of Fenris, let me tell you about the Vlka Fenryka...

-An unknown Skjald

Leman Russ, Lord of Winter and War

wrmvODL.jpg
A8RkS4c.jpg
QfN7aWs.jpg
SUAEQwY.jpg

Pict captures of Russ striking forth during the infamous battle for Tizca

Freki and Geri

vl6LddO.jpg
twex8VL.jpg
3MjShQL.jpg
gWEfdEG.jpg

The Wolf-kin of Russ were always to be found in the thickest of the fighting in Prospero and broke the concentration of many Thousand Sons sorcerers with their mighty howls

Bulveye, Jarl of the Dekk-Tra

GPKIgzF.jpg
XeR7mO9.jpg
gpGAGrd.jpg

Bulveye during the compliance of Kernunnos before the 954th expeditionary fleet was recalled to assist in the sanction of Prospero

Floki, Rune-seer of the Dekk-Tra

b4v361K.jpg
rngGPZ2.jpg
GM2RaR7.jpg

Floki was able to channel the spirit of Fenris both to divinate the future of the Dekk-Tra but could also unleash it in bursts of destructive energy

Works in Progress

Thunderhawk
SVXwThb.jpg

Varagyr
pictures

Speaker of the dead
GvMccHt.jpg

Iron Priest
wiBUZ3z.jpg

Navigator
elo9Lh9.jpg

Tutorials

Grey Painting Recipe:
1. Prime black
2. Apply a counter-zenithal basecoat of Vallejo German Grey
3. 'Sketch' where the highlights will be with Administratum Grey
4. Apply a basecoat of Mechanicum Standard Grey Air leaving the Vallejo German Grey in the recesses and don't obscure the sketeched highlights
5. Apply a 45° layer of Dawnstone Air
6. Re-Apply final highlights with Administratum Grey or do a very zenithal fine spray
7. Glaze with Druchi Violet wash mixed with glaze medium the areas of shade*
8. Glaze with Blue wash mixed with glaze medium the deepest shadows*
9. Wash the model to give definition and tone down the highlights to blend them with all the armor with the following mixture: 4 ml Agrax Earthshade, 4 ml Nuln Oil, 12 ml Water
10. Edge highlight with Administratum Grey
* These two steps are to add richness to the palette of the armor, so I generally tend to reserve them for characters since they're quite time consuming.

Bronze Painting Recipe:
1. Basecoat with Castellax Bronze
2. Wash with Agrax Earthshade
3. Layer of Balthasar Gold
4. Wash with Reikland Fleshshade
5. Edge highlight of Fulgurite Copper
6. Glaze with purple the deepest shadows
7. Extreme edge highlight of Sycorax Bronze
8. Pin wash the recesses and rivets with diluted Nikilah Oxide to give a verdigris effect

Thank you all guys,

I'm struggling now to complete the Wolf Kin but should have them finished along with my Rune Priest soon enough!

I'd love to know your skin recipe, those are fabulous! 

Thanks man, there's room for variation in the following since I always try to vary slightly tonalities:

• Base of Bugman's glow
  • Washes to add depth, pick or combine:
    • Seraphim Sepia
    • Flesh Wash
    • Agrax Earthshade
  • Highlights with the following colors, from darkest to lightest tone:
    • Cadian Fleshtone
    • Kislev Flesh
    • Flayed One Flesh
  • Glaze carefully the deepest recesses with the following to add tonal variation:
    • Purple wash
    • Dark blue wash

If you wanna go darker with the base, you can go as dark as Rhinox Hide / Dryad Bark.

• 4 weeks later...

Great sculpting then! I never really could get a hang on sculpting beards tho. Looking at your picture gives me a few ideas so thanks!

And again great minis :D

Great sculpting then! I never really could get a hang on sculpting beards tho. Looking at your picture gives me a few ideas so thanks!

And again great minis :biggrin.:

Thanks mate! It's all about patience. Beards need to be sculpted over several phases, one to give the shape, then when it's almost curated make the big strands of hair marks with an xacto blade, then greenstuff over the finer hairs.

Love your space wolves. And that's saying something, for I really dislike the 6th legion.

Thanks mate! That is indeed a massive compliment and very much appreciated!

The guy on the lower right corner...

Space Wolf: "I'm so manly, my beard grows a beard!"

Lol we can all do it if we push hard enough whilst concentrating (warning: you may poop insted).

ARRRROOOUUUUHHH!!!

Couldn't have said that better myself.

I'm wanting to make my troops primaris sized so I'll, have to wait until GW releases the propper kits for Primaris so I'm going to concentrate on finishing the Einherjar with a Rune Priest, a Wolf Priest and an Iron Priest and then focusing on vehicles since I've got a contemptor, Bjorn and a Mastodon ready to be painted.

If they solve the issue with relic Lords of war I'm thinking and army around Bjorn on foot with two squads for objectives and Murderfang in the Mastodon with ten wulfen could be pretty fun to play.

• 2 weeks later...

So finished the second member of the Einherjar, Floki the Caster of Runes and right hand to Bulveye:

b4v361K.jpg

rngGPZ2.jpg

GM2RaR7.jpg

Now time to paint my redone Speaker of the Dead true scaled:

Before:

GvMccHt.jpg

After with an added abdomen:

zusHaJR.jpg

He's just as tall as the primaris marines, which is why I'm focusing on FW character models to do my HQ since I want to wait for a way of doing bigger space wolves and I'm suspecting the primaris SW kit would be ideal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well well well, the wanderer returns! I'd wondered where you'd been!

I thought you may have spontaneously imploded given the disgraceful offerings from FW for the 30k Wolves!

I am liking the interior thus far, glad to see you got yourself a Hawk! I might have acquired one myself......

Good to see you back dude!

Thanks guys and spot on Eidolon, the FW releases killed my mojo but them stopping to redo the pelts has rekindled it. I'm going to finish the main body build today, it's such a wonder to assemble! Is yours going to be EC purple? Tarvitz's Thunderhawk??? Always wanted to do that.

Grieux, is the new thunderhawk manageable regarding its assembly? I recall reading the old version was quite a tedious and difficult experience, especially due to the age of the mold, and I am curious to know if the new iteration is better in this regard.

Archived