A Skjald's Tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Grieux, is the new thunderhawk manageable regarding its assembly? I recall reading the old version was quite a tedious and difficult experience, especially due to the age of the mold, and I am curious to know if the new iteration is better in this regard.

It is a fantastic kit, it´s really been thought out to make the process painless with multiple bonding points for the large areas and the mold entries where the parts attach to the kit to ensure they remain hidden!

Thank you for the quick reply, since it came out I wondered if it was a manageable kit, but I had not seen many people with one to ask them. Knowing this, getting one might become an option for the future, although it is probably not a sensible idea considering the size of my pile-of-shame and its price tag :sweat: . Looking forward to more updates of its painting!

EDIT: missed a quite important "not" :biggrin.: 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for giving a Primarch his much needed and much deserved beard!
I always thought that it was a shame that whoever sculpted the model FORGOT ABOUT A MANLY BEARD! :D

And by the way, good work on the Vikings hommage. Last time I saw this thread, I didn't even know the show except by name, but now, me and my wife have been binge-watching it (we're only at s3e3, though, so please don't spoil me xD).

Funny how well the Floki rune priest works out once you know who it's supposed to look like.

Keep it up and I'm really looking forward to the finished Thunderhawk. :)

Any plans for a Lagertha scout/IG ally?

Thanks mate! I'm back on the project and I'm finishing now a true scale Bjorn and Ivar the Boneless.

As for Lagertha, I'm considering either ten sisters of silence led by her or Necromunda house Escher as the base for a small detachment to represent her and her shield maidens.

That sounds like a good plan.
Good luck with that, I'll check in on your progress every now and then. :)

I'm especially curious about Bjorn. He's starting to establish himself as my favorite Vikings character - then again, we're currently watching s03e04 and sudden allegiance shifts are nothing unusual. :D

Oh already sculpted Bjorn, just waiting to put him in the Varagyr when I get them. I meant a true scale fell handed Dreadnought. Might work well or I might just throw to the rubbish a redemptor and a Space Wolves Dreadnought.

But Ironside is here:

8O3bBxv.jpg

I also bought some of the new death guard to see if they're convertible to 30k true scale grey slayers.

• 3 weeks later...

So finally got around to complete Ivar the Boneless to finish with an Iron Priest the Einherjar of my Dekk-Tra:

wn5LS1u.jpg
ZzCYFe1.jpg
xpCu9oK.jpg
Bd9apHh.jpg
wiBUZ3z.jpg

Ivar the Boneless was one of the two sons of Jarl Lothbrok to survive the implantation process when Russ joined in the Great Crusade and took his Wolf Brothers with them.

He was born with shrivelled, wrecked legs, though with sheer cunning and fierceness he made a name for himself as a great warrior.

Thus, when becoming a Space Marine his keen mind was best used as the Forge Lord of the Dekk-Tra and, to always remember that he was born as a runt, meant to die from birth, he rejected replacing his lower limbs with cybernetic replacements but instead constructed himself with his mentor, Floki, a special suit of armour that would embrace his legs and give him the prowess required to keep with his brothers in battle whilst letting him showcase proudly that he was the one who defied all odds and rose to greatness.

And fixed myself some Varagyr, quite a few productive weeks!

Now I just need to grab myself 5 more Varagyr (these will only need pelt modifications since I like the heads but couldn´t stand the thought of having 5 twins in a 10 man squad) and I´ll be ready to paint my little core of the Einherjahr, 2 squads of Varagyr, Russ, a Contemptor and a Thunderhawk to carry them down.

F8l3dZv.jpg

oIz2k68.jpg

-"Ragnaaaar" - Rollo

Turns off adding some good pelts goes a long way to making the Varagyr something awesome.

The fur pelts are from kf studios, very pricey and ordered from Russia via eBay or their Facebook page but they have the best quality I've seen and they do capes and heads too, all of them with the fur quality of Russ cape.

In terms of ease... It's not that bad to be honest, just nerve wrecking since they're so pricey. Big bulk of it removed with pliers then a hobby knife for the detail.

Needed minimal green stuff after to cover gaps if you position the pelts well with a heat gun.

I'd first like to say everything in here is incredibly inspiring; I particularly like your Iron Priest; by the Emperor, that thing is a work of beauty! :wub:

Now I need to find myself a Narik Dreygur model... :cry:

Note: I'd just like to point out (before a mod ever comes 'round to do it; I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet) that the Hall of Honour is supposed to be restricted to completed models, whereas WIPs are should be restricted to the Works in Progress sub...

Very well done!
The Ivar conversion looks just amazing. I love how you filled the scratch marks with GS; using "repaired" Chaos parts can make models a real treat.
Seriously, keep up the good work!

(We just finished season 3, so I'll just pretend not having been pseudo-spoilered about Ragnar's crippled son xD)

Very well done!

The Ivar conversion looks just amazing. I love how you filled the scratch marks with GS; using "repaired" Chaos parts can make models a real treat.

Seriously, keep up the good work!

(We just finished season 3, so I'll just pretend not having been pseudo-spoilered about Ragnar's crippled son xD)

Haha thanks mate and sorry about the spoiler, you will love Ivar though!

Fantastic work:thumbsup: You've got your hands in so many projects it makes my head spin...... and they all look great!

I especially appreciate your generosity in sharing your techniques. They are a great benefit to me and the rest of the community.

I've never really liked the Wolves. Don't get me wrong, I've seen single models I've liked now and then, but as a whole... Nah.

This is possibly the first time I've seen a SW army that makes me want to actually try my hand at them. You've managed to capture a LOT of character in them, kudos!

I've never really liked the Wolves. Don't get me wrong, I've seen single models I've liked now and then, but as a whole... Nah.

This is possibly the first time I've seen a SW army that makes me want to actually try my hand at them. You've managed to capture a LOT of character in them, kudos!

That´s a hell of a compliment, I feel honoured :) Thanks for the kind words and hope I can keep it up!

The work you have put into these Space Wolves is fantastic. The greenstuff hair/beards that you have done is just impressive, and as a big fan of the Vikings TV show as well you have really echoed the characters in your miniatures. The Ivar conversion is just brilliant!

Bit of an odd question, but if you don't mind me asking where is the "hair" originally from on Ivar? I'd love to replicate it myself as I have a similar hairstyle myself in real life and would love to transfer it onto a marine.

Jay

The work you have put into these Space Wolves is fantastic. The greenstuff hair/beards that you have done is just impressive, and as a big fan of the Vikings TV show as well you have really echoed the characters in your miniatures. The Ivar conversion is just brilliant!

Bit of an odd question, but if you don't mind me asking where is the "hair" originally from on Ivar? I'd love to replicate it myself as I have a similar hairstyle myself in real life and would love to transfer it onto a marine.

Jay

Of course mate the hair originally is from KS studios space Vikings upgrade set, excellent sculpts they are. You can find them in liberdemonica in eBay. And thank you so much for the kind words!!

These are some nice wolves! Would you mind sharing your armour recipe and process?

Thanks mate of course!

Grey Painting Recipe:

1. Prime black

2. Apply a counter-zenithal basecoat of Vallejo German Grey

3. 'Sketch' where the highlights will be with Administratum Grey

4. Apply a basecoat of Mechanicum Standard Grey Air leaving the Vallejo German Grey in the recesses and don't obscure the sketeched highlights

5. Apply a 45° layer of Dawnstone Air

6. Re-Apply final highlights with Administratum Grey or do a very zenithal fine spray

7. Glaze with Druchi Violet wash mixed with glaze medium the areas of shade*

8. Glaze with Blue wash mixed with glaze medium the deepest shadows*

9. Wash the model to give definition and tone down the highlights to blend them with all the armor with the following mixture: 4 ml Agrax Earthshade, 4 ml Nuln Oil, 12 ml Water

10. Edge highlight with Administratum Grey

* These two steps are to add richness to the palette of the armor, so I generally tend to reserve them for characters since they're quite time consuming

• 2 months later...

Archived