Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Forgeworld Open Day 2017

Forgeworld Event Open Day 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
332 replies to this topic

Balthamal

Balthamal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,614 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - The Forsaken
Spoiler

That pretty much sums up my thoughts overall. I did ask if there were any members of the events team around to offer some feedback but there didn't seem to be anyone there so didn't get the chance. Going to fire off an email to them though.

The thing that always set FW apart was the huge amount of stuff they brought to events - whether that was completed stuff or WIPs/concepts or models ready for production and the ability to be able to see them in person then have a chat with whoever designed them was gold dust. I completely get why they'd prefer the Community Team to be doing all the previews since that's more or less 90% of their job but by pushing everything back to them it's diminishing the event for those attending - depending on the HH weekender next year and some feedback on that I'd likely not go to the FWOD since everything I'd want to see will appear on the internet at some point in the not too distant future anyway

Granted they shouldn't literally be emptying the cupboards as it were but there's definitely a balance to be struck between using a dedicated team to preview/announce new stuff and offering something for those who bother to go to events

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 117 posts

The thing that disappoints me the most is the continued absence of Fires of Cyraxus. 

This was a book that was "90% done" and the artwork 100% completed when I spoke to Forgeworld during the Open Day in October 2016 in Amsterdam.

90% done 8 months before the launch of 8th Edition; I suspect it needs/needed a substantial amount of re-writing with regard to rules. It may also need background re-writes if they intend to move it forward into the current timeline and introduce Primaris.

Another thing to consider is that only one of the factions featured has it's Codex out; I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cyraxus doesn't launch until after the Tau and Mechanicus books have also been released.

Maybe it'll be a joint release alongside said codexes? If GW and WH-Community advertise it sufficiently, it most likely would result in increased demand for the book (and, by extension, the models)...

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,846 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Tears

The thing that disappoints me the most is the continued absence of Fires of Cyraxus. 

This was a book that was "90% done" and the artwork 100% completed when I spoke to Forgeworld during the Open Day in October 2016 in Amsterdam.

90% done 8 months before the launch of 8th Edition; I suspect it needs/needed a substantial amount of re-writing with regard to rules. It may also need background re-writes if they intend to move it forward into the current timeline and introduce Primaris.

Another thing to consider is that only one of the factions featured has it's Codex out; I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cyraxus doesn't launch until after the Tau and Mechanicus books have also been released.

I'd like to think that the community is collectively mature and rational enough to figure that out for themselves anyway and accept it if told, but it would be nice if FW could simply come out and say that's what's causing the hold up.

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 548 posts

Maybe they are delaying Cyraxus coming out because they are going to re-write it a bit, so it is set in in current 'Dark Imperium' 40k, and are going to put some primaris stuff in with the red scorpions? 

I wish they would just release an index of Mechanicum units. 

• MajorWesJanson likes this

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 593 posts

Maybe they are delaying Cyraxus coming out because they are going to re-write it a bit, so it is set in in current 'Dark Imperium' 40k, and are going to put some primaris stuff in with the red scorpions? 

Yes, that's clear and we heard at Warhammer Fest that the change to 8th edition means the rules need to be changed and that had some impact.

Nothing was said about narrative changes though. Anyway, it just seems as if nothing is being done with it. Maybe they are doing something with it, but when I asked FW about it a while ago they told me they had no idea what the status was. This book just keeps getting away.

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,656 posts

Varangyr - the lone one who was permitted for display is a good indicator of what to expect, they'll be a fully resin kit, they looked at a Cataphractii upgrade set but by the end none of the plastic parts were getting used so full resin was the decision.

thats really really disappointing. That spacewolf model was disgusting; easily the worst forgeworld infantry figure i've seen, in fact it doesnt even look like its from a proper studio, looks like its from kromlech..

I might be skipping the entire upcoming space wolf line if thats the quality to expect

banana

rendingon1+

rendingon1+

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 783 posts

What I fear the most is that with current state of affairs, Horus Heresy line is just going to die out. HH was "safe" with 7th, sometimes (depending on area, groups etc.) even more popular than 40k thanks to more balanced rules etc. When 8th officially hit the shelves I was quite optimistic and belived that "HH is strong" but now... People are leaving HH because 1) nothing's going on 2) no more 40k Xenos vs 30k Legiones matches. 4HH players are left in my group - 5months ago there were 12. And I don't blame them - you buy your minis to use them (unless collector) in game after all.

(I am aware that my group =/= worldwide HH scene)

I guess that eventually FW will convert their lists to 8th (when?) but considering how undisciplined and unorganized FW (I'm saying this deliberately) is I doubt they'll keep an entire HH fanbase they worked quite hard to build.

It just feels sad.

Edited by rendingon1+, 14 August 2017 - 03:50 PM.

• Irbis, depthcharge12 and Taliesin like this

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,379 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Fists

=][= The Forge World Open Day has come and gone, this thread has served its purpose. If you wish to continue your discussions, please do so in the relevant area(s). Again I can only encourage you to reach out to GW/FW on their social media pages to provide them with your thoughts and feedback. They have shown they are a lot more receptive and willing to hear what the community has to say.

In the meantime... =][=

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

gallery_45765_13882_50260.pnggallery_45765_12908_1745.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_45765_5904_4405.png

"The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us. Fear our name, for it is vengeance."

Forum Rules | Imperial Fists (& Successors) | Tyranids (& Genestealer Cults) | Liber Astartes

Crimson Guard [models | DIY lore] - W:0 D:0 L:2

Hive Fleet Behemoth [models] - W:0 D:0 L:0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forgeworld, Event, Open Day, 2017

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users