Slaaneshi Daemons in 8th

WarriorFish

The thing is, Seeker don't really have all that much damage output. It's mainly just 4 Bolter per model, really. And only in melee even. Every Stormbolter for 2p is better unless you fight against something without invulnerable saves and keep rolling 6s on the Daemonettes attakcks.

What about The forbidden gem? Did you use it

I did not use the Forbidden Gem. I was using Mark of Excess and Soulstealer. If I had used my KOS that Soul Stealer was on properly, it would be an amazing relic for a Greater Daemon that isn't as tough as the others. I would have slapped a bunch of models around with him and got the wounds back. 

Or, you know, if you're facing a horde you can make all your non-Axle, non-Tongue attacks with the Lash and laugh as 5D6 Conscripts get their heads taken clean off before they get a chance to swing at you.

And then of course you get D6 Axle A and four Tongue A. Potentially forty dead GEQ. Per phase. For under a hundred points.

I'm a big fan of Hellflayers, is that coming across? Haha.

That is a damn good idea!

I never thought of using the Lash for all of their 5 attacks, D'oh!

Now I think about it, I can't see me ever using their Claws again. 5D6 attacks is going to leave a mark, be they Hellflayers or Seeker Chariots (of which I have 10).....hmm.....

Or, you know, if you're facing a horde you can make all your non-Axle, non-Tongue attacks with the Lash and laugh as 5D6 Conscripts get their heads taken clean off before they get a chance to swing at you.

And then of course you get D6 Axle A and four Tongue A. Potentially forty dead GEQ. Per phase. For under a hundred points.

I'm a big fan of Hellflayers, is that coming across? Haha.

That is a damn good idea!

I never thought of using the Lash for all of their 5 attacks, D'oh!

Now I think about it, I can't see me ever using their Claws again. 5D6 attacks is going to leave a mark, be they Hellflayers or Seeker Chariots (of which I have 10).....hmm.....

Uhm what are you guys talking about? The Lash is a shooting attack made in the shooting phase with the special rule that you can use it against units that are within 1" of friendly units. If you're in melee with your Hellflayer it's basically a Bolt Pistol with 1d6 shots. Your actual attacks are still made with the Claws. Also why 5? The Hellflayer has only 4 Attacks.

The Hellflayer and Seeker Chariot have 5 attacks in my Codex

Damn, you're right. Battlescribe has them listed as with 4 attacks.

Omg... I was using the same profile from Battlescribe! Ugh! Now I have to check what else they got wrong. 

Oops. Well, I guess I have a Guard player to apologise too and a rematch to schedule.

Apologies for passing on misinformation. Mea culpa.

FWIW, however, a correct application of the rules makes Hellflayers even better, since you get D6 S4 shooting attacks AND all 5 'Rending' Claw attacks, plus Axle and Tongue A.

You have to make your own.

I have 5 Hellflayers and a Seeker Chariot, with judicious positioning they will all fit in a BFM 15×12×4 Pluck Tray.

Fiends are for anti-Psyker, seemingly. I don't rate them either and don't ever take them. They're expensive and they die if you look at them funny.

Got a picture of your foam? Do you lay them down or store them upright? Must be a relatively tall piece of foam.

I'm considering adding some Fiends of Slaanesh to my CSMs - how are people running them? MSU or big blobs? How have they performed for people? They seem really nifty!

I played them once in a group of 3 and they did nothing else then giving my opponent first blood...

I like them a lot, but I think bigger units are a very juicy target, while single models die way to quick. So my next try will be 3 single fiends, hide them outside line of sight and hope they get where I need them when the opponents attention is on my other, more threatening units.

I'm considering adding some Fiends of Slaanesh to my CSMs - how are people running them? MSU or big blobs? How have they performed for people? They seem really nifty!

I played them once in a group of 3 and they did nothing else then giving my opponent first blood...

I like them a lot, but I think bigger units are a very juicy target, while single models die way to quick. So my next try will be 3 single fiends, hide them outside line of sight and hope they get where I need them when the opponents attention is on my other, more threatening units.

I'm probably opting for the Bloodletter bomb, but they do seem very glass cannon-y. T4 3W 5++ isn't very tough. I was thinking of running them with a Herald on Steed and a loci, so I'd get 14" + D6" and a charge. They kind of seem to be trying to do several things at once; anti-psyker, tying units up, and fighting. 

So, a question:

Has anyone used Morathi's big version as the basis for a Keeper of Secrets conversion?

'cause I'm looking at her model and thinking it would be an interesting idea.

based off of what I've seen of her model, she's too big. Her wings are the main problem. In AoS, shooting really isn't a huge round of combat because a lot of armies lack the sort of ranged firepower that 40k armies have. With her wings, she'll never be able to get any sort of cover save and she'll almost always be visible.

So, a question:

Has anyone used Morathi's big version as the basis for a Keeper of Secrets conversion?

'cause I'm looking at her model and thinking it would be an interesting idea.

based off of what I've seen of her model, she's too big. Her wings are the main problem. In AoS, shooting really isn't a huge round of combat because a lot of armies lack the sort of ranged firepower that 40k armies have. With her wings, she'll never be able to get any sort of cover save and she'll almost always be visible.

She's on an 100mm base, which is the same size as the Bloodthirster and Lord of Change's bases. Which means she's Greater Daemon-sized. That's what I was referring to.

I've also seen comparisons between her and some of the Greater Daemons, she's only marginally taller than the Great Unclean One, and most of that is due to her wings.

Besides, Keepers of Secrets don't have wings, so.... yeah :laugh.: Even though a Keeper of Secrets would look awesome with those wings.

So I was thinking of running at least one Keeper of Secrets as my HQ (I'm considering dual Greater Daemons as I love big scary monsters) with a veritable horde of Daemonettes- what are good support units for such a force? Hellflayers seem to be quite well liked from what I've read in here, and they look pretty cool. Would I be better going for a more moderate amount of 'nettes and subbing in Seekers instead? FWIW I have no interest in ultra-competitive games or tournaments, but obviously I don't want to make a list so bad it gets creamed at casual games.

I have never used a regular KoS, so bear with me. I use Zarakynel, who is a KoS on steroids.

My usual list, excepting Zarakynel, is

3x20 Daemonettes

3x6 Seekers

5 Hellflayers

Herald on Seeker Chariot w/ Forbidden Gem

2 Heralds on Seekers

3 Heralds on foot

I divide these into three parts (which I have picked up a disconcerting habit of calling Army Group North, Centre and South in my head). Each part gets 20 Daemonettes, 2 Chariots, 2 Heralds and a unit of Seekers. The Seekers and the Chariots rush forward, the Seekers cop overwatch for the Chariots and then the Daemonettes pile in next turn. Zarakynel is the 'Warlord' (She is a Lady!) and She gets Celerity of Slaanesh. Basically, I just aim Her straight at the biggest, scariest thing in the opposing army and let Her go, usually in conjunction with Chariot Herald w Forbidden Gem, 'cause Zarakynel does Ld damage just by being nearby (though a regular KoS doesn't) and also has access to Phantasmagoria (which a regular KoS does). 

It isn't overly strategic and I don't have a shooting phase unless I'm within 6" of something but it tends to work out alright for me (currently 4-2-1 with this list, 8-5-3 with the same list minus Zarakynel) and the battles are quick, bloody and fun. Few models from either side are left on the table at the end.

I have never used a regular KoS, so bear with me. I use Zarakynel, who is a KoS on steroids.

My usual list, excepting Zarakynel, is

3x20 Daemonettes

3x6 Seekers

5 Hellflayers

Herald on Seeker Chariot w/ Forbidden Gem

2 Heralds on Seekers

3 Heralds on foot

I divide these into three parts (which I have picked up a disconcerting habit of calling Army Group North, Centre and South in my head). Each part gets 20 Daemonettes, 2 Chariots, 2 Heralds and a unit of Seekers. The Seekers and the Chariots rush forward, the Seekers cop overwatch for the Chariots and then the Daemonettes pile in next turn. Zarakynel is the 'Warlord' (She is a Lady!) and She gets Celerity of Slaanesh. Basically, I just aim Her straight at the biggest, scariest thing in the opposing army and let Her go, usually in conjunction with Chariot Herald w Forbidden Gem, 'cause Zarakynel does Ld damage just by being nearby (though a regular KoS doesn't) and also has access to Phantasmagoria (which a regular KoS does). 

It isn't overly strategic and I don't have a shooting phase unless I'm within 6" of something but it tends to work out alright for me (currently 4-2-1 with this list, 8-5-3 with the same list minus Zarakynel) and the battles are quick, bloody and fun. Few models from either side are left on the table at the end.

What do you swap Zarak in and out for? At 666 points you're going to have to lose some stuff in the list you posted to fit Zarak in. Without Zarak it only comes out to 1705 points.. though I haven't added in any instruments or banners yet so I'm curious if you could flesh out your list a little better for those of us that are curious/learning still. 

I played a KOS in my last game and I was happy with her (I have Zarak model so say her). That is until I ran her into Magnus. He literally one shot her in a single round of combat which I found fairly disappointing. I suppose that makes sense considering Magnus doubles the KOS in points but I charged in and he failed no saves... potentially I could have really hurt him, so worth the risk I suppose. 

I had the board flooded with so much stuff because I didn't have a big LOW that the KOS wasn't paid attention to as much oddly. That was only a 1750 point game as well. At 2k I could put even more stuff in our double up on the KOS most likely. 

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Daemons) [44 PL, 795pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Slaanesh

+ HQ [8 PL, 148pts] +

Herald of Slaanesh [4 PL, 66pts]: Ravaging claws, Symphony of Pain

Herald of Slaanesh on Steed [4 PL, 82pts]: Bewitching Aura, Symphony of Pain, The Forbidden Gem, Warlord

+ Fast Attack [16 PL, 272pts] +

Seekers [16 PL, 272pts]: Daemonic Icon [15pts], Heartseeker [19pts], Instrument of Chaos [10pts], 12x Seeker [228pts]

+ Troops [20 PL, 375pts] +

Daemonettes [12 PL, 235pts]: Alluress [7pts], 29x Daemonette [203pts], Daemonic Icon [15pts], Instrument of Chaos [10pts]

Daemonettes [4 PL, 70pts]: Alluress [7pts], 9x Daemonette [63pts]

Daemonettes [4 PL, 70pts]: Alluress [7pts], 9x Daemonette [63pts]

I recently went to a random 800 points double tournament.  Brought the following list.  Where I felt it was a good solid list for what I currently have, and all painted up.  It seemed to have some major flaws. 

My first round I got paired with an Ultramarine army.  Guy brought some of the new primius marines, scouts, a dreadnought and some sort of HQ.  Needless to say, we got slaughtered good.  The other team was a horde of genestealers and mobs of ork boys.  While I tabled the tyranids, I was just not able to get all the orks.  

The next round my partner had taken 3 demon princes of Tzeentch, along with Arhmamin and some tzangor sorcer on a disc.  We worked well together.  His list filled in all my holes.  High strength and some shooting.  Well the shooting was the psychic phase of his army.  We fought against guard and deathguard.  Did well.  

The last round, well this one was a doozy.  I dont think I ever been tabled in 2 turns, and let alone by just 4 models.  My partner had 6 hqs of the custodeos with grav bikes or something.  The other side was khorne zerksers and 4 flying hive tyrants.  Now what was disturbing about this.  Those 4 hive tyrants where able to eliminate my entire army in 2 rounds of shooting.  I felt so dismayed.  

Not sure what I could had done different with 4 flying things that had 24 shots apiece and could make each wound count as 2.  It was crazy.  Then the FAQ dropped and I was at first grrr about the rule of 3.  Then I was hey at least I will not have to see 4 flying hive tyrants again.

I wanted to share that this was my first time using my demons in 8th, and my first 3 games of 8.  Even though I got tabled, and beaten badly the first game.  I really like 8.  I want to finish up a list and start get to playing.  It just made me realize I need some big guns, or bring high strength models.  Which I plan to try out my forgeworld KOS, 2 painted princes, 3 hellflayers.  I figure if thats not good enough might dabble in some renegade guard or just bring some Tzeentch demons to help improve my shooting game.

Archived