Slaaneshi Daemons in 8th

WarriorFish

That sounds like a good alternative, do you have a WIP topic Sersi?

I'm currently looking at a few options to add some more Daemonettes to my forces. Expand the squads to potentially above 20 (or more likely spread into more squads) and have a few more to convert into Heralds :smile.: Seekers are a no go, at least until I win the lottery...

I am cheap as well, and therefore use the seekers as heralds on steeds.

I've only got 10 Seekers, so they'll probably be better put to use as Seekers rather than Heralds if I want the unit to achieve much. There's cheap and there's not paying an arm and a leg for a single metal model though :tongue.: Not even Slaanesh would approve of that degree of excess :laugh.:

I've only got 10 Seekers, so they'll probably be better put to use as Seekers rather than Heralds if I want the unit to achieve much. There's cheap and there's not paying an arm and a leg for a single metal model though :tongue.: Not even Slaanesh would approve of that degree of excess :laugh.:

Yeah, but you do need to have heralds on steeds to hand out aura buffs to the inevitable 40-60 daemonettes you will be running, and you will need them on steeds to keep them alive.

Too many spikes make me fear for my fingers, but it is a great model. Size is about right for a KoS, certainly compared to others?

Zarakynel she's my favorite GW/FW model. I didn't use the spikes on mine because they're really fragile. Instead glued micro-beads into the spike depressions to give her studded legging and gloves. Oh and a pierced tongue as well... :wub:

Pretty good idea, I may do the same. I'm considering converting mine a little (nothing too drastic mind you, this thing is precious), maybe replacing the sword with a whip or some other weapon? I considered removing the loincloth but I'm not sure if that'd be possible without doing major reconstructive surgery.

Speaking of Keepers of Secrets, whilst obviously I have the FW one waiting for me to finish my other models, and the one I'm scratch-sculpting from apoxie sculpt and various bits and pieces (including a bootleg Sailor Mars action figure, a failed 3D printed flail and a tonne of broken necklace chains) I'm already considering converting some other models into accompanying Keepers, for a full on cabal of Greater Daemons. In an ideal world I'd have one for each of the Six Circles of Vice, and maybe one more for Slaanesh's Palace. Obviously there's the Ghorgon, which would make for a good embiggened classic Keeper (IIRC the old model was very bovine) and I've seen some very cool conversions done with the plastic Vermin Lord, but are there any other models people think would make good Slaaneshi Greater Daemons with appropriate conversions?

Yeah, but you do need to have heralds on steeds to hand out aura buffs to the inevitable 40-60 daemonettes you will be running, and you will need them on steeds to keep them alive.

That was my thinking too, hence looking for more but the prices for the models are just silly :( Maybe I can spring for one or two for mounted Heralds at some point, but I'll see how it goes with what I have for now (or when I've painted them all ;) ).

That sounds like a good alternative, do you have a WIP topic Sersi?

I'm currently looking at a few options to add some more Daemonettes to my forces. Expand the squads to potentially above 20 (or more likely spread into more squads) and have a few more to convert into Heralds :smile.: Seekers are a no go, at least until I win the lottery...

Here's so WIP photos of that KOS conversion.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/23/55065_md-.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/23/55069_md-.jpg

It took me a minute to find my old WIP thread.     The last update was in 2011...ouch! I need to get it up to date.    

I had a game today with my Slaaneshi daemons against my brothers eldar. I took a flying DP with sword and talons, 14 seekers, 25 daemonettes, 2 Heralds (one riding, one walking) and 2 Fiends. He took Dark Reapers, Banshees, scorpions, 2 units of Avengers and a Autarch. Played on a 5x5 table with moderate terrain. It was a massively bloody game.

I went first and killed one unit of avengers with the seekers. Made my charge by around 3 inches. Man they are fast. The 2 fiends, daemonettes and DP took an objective eachand the DP smited two avengers. I lost a fiend to the reapers shooting, and lost about 5 seekers to the Autarch, banshees and scorpions. The DP took 2 wounds from avengers shooting. End of turn one and I had 3 objectives secured. 

Turn two I charged the avengers with the DP and the fiend, killing all of them.The daemonettes and walking herald moved further onto the table. I killed more banshees and scorpions, although the scorpions saved about 8 out of 10 5+ wounds. :down:

Turn three the daemonettes charged the banshees and killed the rest. The DP moved towards the reapers. The DP took 6 wounds from reaper shooting. I lost more seekers to the scorpions and banshees and the autarch killed the rest.

Turn 4 I charged the fiend into the reapers and he died to overwatch. I then charged the DP in and they missed their overwatch shots. The daemonettes piled in to the scorpions and autarch. The scorpions and autarch died to the daemonettes and the walking herald and the reapers died to the DP. I had 3 models left on the table with a total of 4 wounds. Very close.

Eldar is brutal against Slaanesh with their reroll shenanigans, but daemonettes with -4 AP on a 6 is just nuts. So much stuff dies under massed attacks. 

Really digging the new rules!

• 3 weeks later...

What are people's opinions on Slaanesh Soulgrinders? I want to use them as anti-tank but I'm not sure how efficient they are. The one game I played with them, when they get in CC they are resilient as hell and quicksilver is really nice. 

Wow guess I killed this thread....

Waaaaah. Sorry last post was on 4th of july which means I was :censored: up as hell as an american. In other news quicksilver is good but causes arguments when using strategems to who gets to swing first. God i am drunk it took me 40 minutes to write this without spelling  errors!

Shouldn't quicksilver be straight forward? They count as charging so are done first, but if they're in combat with another unit that has charged (or has the same rule) then they use the active system. In this case it's sort of a duplication of the assault phase in that you go charging units > activate in turns mutual charging units > activate all other normal units. At least that's how I read it and it seems to make sense to me :tongue.:

I've pondered Soul Grinders a bit but I've never used one before. In 8th they're a bit pricey but tough, shooty and very stabby - got some reasonable speed to them too. I think they'd be a solid addition especially for some AT both at range and especially in combat something Slaaneshi daemons would benefit from. This is all theory hammer though so how things go may be different, perhaps their WS4+ may be an issue but the Warp Sword can help there for example.

I've come up with a 1000pts CSM list that adds a couple Daemonette squads and a Herald, going to see if I can get the models done for it :)

So since this thread is here... peoples thoughts on chariots?  

I have one Exalted Seeker Chariot(ESC) in sub-assemblies that I built ages ago.  I'm looking to finish it up in the future since I have some more free time on the weekends.  However, I do have 2 more regular Seeker Chariot kits.

So would it be better for another ESC or make the 2 regular Seeker Chariots for more target saturation?  Or would Hellflayers be better for all the attacks that thing gets?

Just looking for some advice on the chariots since I'm whittling down my demons to be mono-Slaanesh.  

I already have...

KoS, Zarakynel, 1 ESC, 3 Fiends, 3 x 10 'Nettes, 10 Seekers, 2 foot Heralds and a Souls Grinder.  I been using demons as back up for my CSM mostly.  

I'm thinking 2 more Heralds on steeds and the 2 chariots would round out everything nice and I wouldn't have to buy anything else! ;-)

Thoughts?

@ Warriorfish: I agree with your thinking that they could shore up a Slaanesh army's AT, and that's why I am pondering over them. Only have gotten one game with them in (my first) and it just turned into a scrim vs. some Necron Wraiths and Warriors in the middle of the board, so still doing the theoryhammering myself.

@40k Chris - So far, my favorite chariot build is a Herald with a basic Seeker, as it is under 10 wounds as a Character. I think an exalted seeker could be great in packs, but you'd really need to go all in on the build. They're too fragile otherwise. Maybe good to summon? 

@DraneceusRex - Thanks for the insight.  Summoning in may be the way to go for the ones I want to build.  Maybe a ESC screened by a good size (15-20) Seeker unit would be something to worry about.

Although Hellflayers might be good so I don't eat anymore HS or HQ slots... lol, it's always "decisions... decisions".

Herald Chariot:

DraneceusRex is right about Heralds on Seeker chariots being the best choice. I'd say it the best way to ta a Herald in any form. They have 10 attacks: 6 at S5 and 4 at S4.  So 10 attacks that wound T7 on a 5+; 6 of which wound T8 on 5+ and rend on a 6 to wound. They are decent at melee anti-tank since most vehicles have terrible WS. Then you have a possible mortal wound from Scything impact and any mortal wounds from casting smite. 

Hellflayers:

The Hellflayers melee attacks are only S4/AP-1/Rending; so they’ll only wound on 6+.  However, it’s Bladed Axle with its S8/AP-1/Dam 2/+D6 attacks can be quite effective. Averaging 6 damage at S8/AP-1, with the potential for 12 damage. High strength attacks are rare in in a Mono-Slaanesh army, so any source is welcome. The look on your opponents face when your Hellflayer destroys a tank....priceless.

Thanks Sersi.

So what I'm sort of getting is running a Supreme Command Detachment for all the HQs I would then have.  Which itself wouldn't be bad.  I can run the ESC with a Herald, 2 regular Seeker chariots with Heralds and 2 more Heralds on Steeds.  Use Zarakynel for the LoW, and bump up the Fiends to maybe 6.

But Hellflayers still sound good. ;-)

Thanks for the input folks!

Thanks Sersi.

So what I'm sort of getting is running a Supreme Command Detachment for all the HQs I would then have.  Which itself wouldn't be bad.  I can run the ESC with a Herald, 2 regular Seeker chariots with Heralds and 2 more Heralds on Steeds.  Use Zarakynel for the LoW, and bump up the Fiends to maybe 6.

But Hellflayers still sound good. ;-)

Thanks for the input folks!

Nice list to play! Only worry would be you missing chaff giving your Seeker Chariots some more protection before they can get shot.

@ DraneceusRex - That would be one detachment, most lists I've been messing with are 2 or 3.  But, like I said, I usually use my demons for CSM back up... so having some chaff units like cultists or maybe instead using some Spawn to screen the chariots.  If I wanted to be super points efficient then R&H mutants with Covenant of Slaanesh for the extra speed would be good to.

Archived