Slaaneshi Daemons in 8th

WarriorFish

I used a nurgle soulgrinder on the weekend. In all 5 games it was a bit lack luster. 4+ BS it really hard when moving, and the damage output is relatively low compared to comparative units. If you can get into combat it might do alright, but with only 14 wounds I found I was removing it from the table early on if I tried to advance and if I held back it didn't really do that much. I think people overestimated it though, it was target priority # 1 in most games, which did free up other stuff to move up the table without getting shot at.

Thanks to the new FAQ a Herald on an Seeker Chariot or Exalted Chariot can now take the Lash of Torment for its shooting attacks without sacrificing piercing claw attacks. Not bad at all since you can shoot the lash in melee.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I was thinking a point off when I heard it but down to 7 is great! Looks like I'll need to paint mine up sooner rather than later :wink: Obviously this will transfer to the Daemons codex proper when that rolls round so maybe we can hope for some point drops for Daemonettes elsewhere too :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

While musing on my list plans I had a thought I should have had earlier and checked the GW site. The answer is in black and white - or rather magenta :tongue.: Page 2 updates the point cost of Daemonettes explicitly which is great :smile.: As soon as my 750pts list has the last model done I'll be focusing exclusively on my Daemonettes to get an allied 1,000pts list together :wink:

My thoughts on some units and strategies.

Take some Warp Talons and a Chaos Sorcerer with jump pack, Warptime psychic power. Drop them in by enemy's most feared shooting unit and lock it down T1. If you can run some Fiends up in time, you just shut down anything w/o FLY. I'm thinking you baneblades.

With the Masque following a full 30 daemonettes (and herald of course), and casting Symphony of Pain as needed, should help you get up in their face. Nothing new there, it was mentioned before. My statement is, make sure those daemonettes have the Icon of Chaos, then take those tests even when you know you will pass them. As long as your unit takes at least 1 casualty you may roll a Moral check. At worst (roll 2-6) nothing happens, but on a 1, you just got a unit of 30 + 1d6 of deamonettes. Not game breaking by a long shot, but should keep your numbers up a bit as you move.

On the Soulgrinder, it seems confused on what it wants to do. Sit back and shoot and it gets FF down (good for a distractionfex?). I am considering on mine, to be a mid point starter in my deployment zone and just shoot with it. Keep it's melee as a counter-charge option for any (DS) options your opponent takes.

2c.

Though I've not tried it yet, I'm not sure about summoning as a mechanic. Seems a bit too much chance compared to something like teleporting in where you know exactly what's going to happen. I have mused on bringing in a squad as an emergency reinforcement or way to threaten the enemy's backfield as a way to perhaps avoid taking some flak on the way in and going after juicier targets but until I can try it I can't say if it'll be any good!

I'll also be interested in hearing other's thoughts and experiences :tu:

Yeah I'm currently unsure on it myself.

Starting woth the pros. It lets you make a list catered to taking out your oppents army. Cool for tournaments or quick pick up games. Daemonettes if you wanna take out infantry models. Bloodletters for taking out heavy armoured/high T models. Plaguebearer do okay against invulns (the list in my head has 2 units of plague bearers bubble wrapping heralds to protect the heralds while you summon)

less daemons is a 83% success chance. Which is pretty good and questioning that roll I think is alittle like questioning if your weapons can even do damage.

Wounding the model summoning isn't too big a deal as that units job is to summon and it's expected.

Where I think it's questionable is charging after summoning. Right?? With instruments thats an 8" charge. Pretty decent chances but no garentee. The. You have to worry about getting over watched. This can really quickly pick a model off and reduce a units strength.

The bad, 12" range is super limiting. You won't be summoning in any turn 1 charges unless your opponent moves up close. The. 2 after a move and maybe an advance you can summon a unit in to charge from summoning

• 2 weeks later...

Well, consider the following: 

Legion: Word Bearers
Chaos Terminator Lord
10 Terminators w/Combi-plasma
Sorcerer with Jump Pack
Warp Talons 

Turn 1:
Terminators Deepstrike in. Use VotLW to boost Terminator firepower, Lord provides re-rollable 1s
Turn 2: 
Sorcerer and Warptalons deepstrike in
Terminator Lord Summons 20/30 Daemonettes, and uses Dark Pact to re-roll any dice while negating perils.
Sorcerer casts Warpspeed on Talons and we hope Daemonettes make their charge. In fact we can give him Mark of Nurgle to cast Miasma of Pestilence on the Daemonettes or Terminators. 

Well, consider the following: 

Legion: Word Bearers

Chaos Terminator Lord

10 Terminators w/Combi-plasma

Sorcerer with Jump Pack

Warp Talons 

Turn 1:

Terminators Deepstrike in. Use VotLW to boost Terminator firepower, Lord provides re-rollable 1s

Turn 2: 

Sorcerer and Warptalons deepstrike in

Terminator Lord Summons 20/30 Daemonettes, and uses Dark Pact to re-roll any dice while negating perils.

Sorcerer casts Warpspeed on Talons and we hope Daemonettes make their charge. In fact we can give him Mark of Nurgle to cast Miasma of Pestilence on the Daemonettes or Terminators. 

My question is why daemonettes over bloodletters??

In fact we can give him Mark of Nurgle to cast Miasma of Pestilence on the Daemonettes

Daemonettes can´t benefit from Miasma. Only Nurgle Hereticus Astartes can. But Warp Talons can benefit from the Slaanesh Daemon additional Close Combat Phase spell.

You're absolutely right, thanks. 

• 1 month later...

I got a 'Start Collecting' box and was initially pretty jazzed about the Exalted Chariot, but on reflection and some moderate math-hammer, I think making two Hellflayers is a better option. The EC is pretty fragile and doesn't really give you anything unique. As mentioned earlier, high strength attacks are at a premium in a mono-Slaanesh army and the Hellflayer delivers them. Plus, doing it this way gives me two Daemonette models I can use as Heralds on foot.

Fiends seem pretty good, Kierdale. They have a decent anti-psyker ability and a high-strength attack. They cost a little less than a Power Fist does (or used to).

Pity,

I just wondered why she has the keyword “Herald of Slaanesh”.

It has no purpose, apart from the note Herald of Slaanesh in the Herald of Slaanesh entry that gives the +1.

Wonder if the note was supposed to be in her entry as well.

DM

Pity,

I just wondered why she has the keyword “Herald of Slaanesh”.

It has no purpose, apart from the note Herald of Slaanesh in the Herald of Slaanesh entry that gives the +1.

Wonder if the note was supposed to be in her entry as well.

Same reason other units have keywords without use. Because it lets GW add effects aimed specific for those kind of units later on. You won't believe how many people in the T'au forums were asking what the Battlesuit keyword is doing the first 1-2 months after 8th got released. :D

Dream explains it neatly, it's a good sign that GW is thinking rules through more and providing scope for later adjustment and additions. I expect we'll see more use of it when we get the proper Daemons codex :smile.:

Speaking of which, I have some time booked off coming up and plan to attack my Daemonettes - I still have that 2k list I'm aiming for that needs some Daemons :wink:

Archived