Grey Knights and Mortal Wounds

Mortal Wounds are the D strength weapons of 8th, and ignore all saves including invulerable.

They are somewhat difficult to come by, except every GK unit gets the Smite psychic power.

Which is 12" range and causes a single Mortal Wound.

Is Smite spam really that bad? Or is it potentially the best thing the GK can being to the table (aside from dreadfisting NDK)?

Sprinkle in Brother Captains and we get our Smite attacks back to 24".

Go MSU, use Storm Bolters to whittle down hordes and smash out as many Mortal Wounds as possible?

That said, at only 1 per cast, it would take our whole army to just kill a character or two with Smites.

So maybe not that effective...

Mortal Wounds are the D strength weapons of 8th, and ignore all saves including invulerable.

They are somewhat difficult to come by, except every GK unit gets the Smite psychic power.

Which is 12" range and causes a single Mortal Wound.

Is Smite spam really that bad? Or is it potentially the best thing the GK can being to the table (aside from dreadfisting NDK)?

Sprinkle in Brother Captains and we get our Smite attacks back to 24".

Go MSU, use Storm Bolters to whittle down hordes and smash out as many Mortal Wounds as possible?

That said, at only 1 per cast, it would take our whole army to just kill a character or two with Smites.

So maybe not that effective...

Maybe Smite lets you snipe specific models. If so, it's worth it.

SJ

Match play allows you to cast one of each (non-Smite) power I believe. And the vanilla Smite is really hard to get out of control with because most will foresee it, and try to have fodder as the closest unit. There is Gate of Course which is great.

People are complaining that our smite only does 1 mortal wound, but a librarian's smite averages 2,18 wounds, and it is one of two powers they can cast on a fairly expensive model.

So getting a free smite on every unit is actually really really good. Killing a space marine or half a terminator basically for free is well worth it, and just dealing the last 1 or 2 wounds to a vehicle or monster is amazing.

I think it's the prospect of Perils, and the amount of mortal wounds we can do to ourselfs, compared to the output of only 1 wound, that's getting to folk most.

Agreed, the reward VS. risk here is completely out of whack.

I think it's the prospect of Perils, and the amount of mortal wounds we can do to ourselfs, compared to the output of only 1 wound, that's getting to folk most.

That's exactly it.  If we had an Aegis that allowed us to ignore Perils on double-sixes, for example, while keeping the Perils on double-ones, I don't think anyone would be complaining.  The 1/18 chance to Perils, when you might be casting powers with 12+ units every turn, means you're averaging a Perils 4-5 times per game at d3 mortal wounds, plus extra mortal wounds to nearby units sometimes.  That's just too much penalty for trying to play with a heavily Psychic army.

I get that this risk is in the fluff, but the tabletop occurrence is way too common.  Before GW leaked the Psychic phase article, I was really hoping they had decided to drop Perils in 8e.  There is nothing like it for magic in AoS - no risk at all for casting magic spells, and some of those are quite powerful.

Sigh.

That's exactly it.  If we had an Aegis that allowed us to ignore Perils on double-sixes, for example, while keeping the Perils on double-ones, I don't think anyone would be complaining.  The 1/18 chance to Perils, when you might be casting powers with 12+ units every turn, means you're averaging a Perils 4-5 times per game at d3 mortal wounds, plus extra mortal wounds to nearby units sometimes.  That's just too much penalty for trying to play with a heavily Psychic army.

I get that this risk is in the fluff, but the tabletop occurrence is way too common.  Before GW leaked the Psychic phase article, I was really hoping they had decided to drop Perils in 8e.  There is nothing like it for magic in AoS - no risk at all for casting magic spells, and some of those are quite powerful.

Sigh.

It's possible we get GK only specific rules (e.g. Aegis) in our eventual codex right, along with our relics?

Even with perils, you are dealing 7 wounds for every one you take, 1/16 is a really low chance. If you are low on models and are afraid of loosing the squad, just don't cast it, is not the main power of the unit, just a very useful bonus. You can even use a CP reroll if you have to cast it anyway.

Basically there's no reason to not cast it every turn unless you are using it vs gretchins or don't want to risk loosing a controlled objective.

Oh, and if you play vs demons (and every mounted chaos CG is a demon now), it deals 3 dmg which is absolutely ridiculous.

It's possible we get GK only specific rules (e.g. Aegis) in our eventual codex right, along with our relics?

That's quite true, and I'm hoping we can influence the design Studio a bit in that direction between now and codex release.

Even with perils, you are dealing 7 wounds for every one you take, 1/16 is a really low chance. If you are low on models and are afraid of loosing the squad, just don't cast it, is not the main power of the unit, just a very useful bonus. You can even use a CP reroll if you have to cast it anyway.

Basically there's no reason to not cast it every turn unless you are using it vs gretchins or don't want to risk loosing a controlled objective.

Oh, and if you play vs demons (and every mounted chaos CG is a demon now), it deals 3 dmg which is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, I've already pretty much resigned myself to saving Command Points for Perils re-rolls.  At least there is that to mitigate the whole thing.  Would prefer to get to use them for other advantages in the game, though, and just never have cared for the Perils rule anyway; especially in an era where the psychic powers have been toned down to where they're not going to dominate the game in the same way that certain powers in 7e did.

Definitely true about Daemons, though.  Smite spam is going to make a big difference there.

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad perils stayed and that they give reason to think before casting. I am disappointed in general with how toned down the powers got + rule of one.

Im sure there was a better compromise than completely nerfing the phase. At this point I'd question its usefulness especially for GKs.

Hopefully when codexes drop we see some improvement for perils, psychic defense and offense.

Other little things to remember are;

Librairans, including GK Libbies, don't get the nerfed Smite.  Their Smite is 18", 1d3 Mortal Wounds

Brother Captains double the range of Smite (I'd still like to see official clarification on this power stacking or not).

We can use Brother Captains to double the 18" Range of GK Librarains (GK only!) Smite.

36", 1d3 Mortal Wounds.

Now if BCs Psychic Locus stacks...

Smite hits closest unit, so it's not like multiple stacking BC ranges would ever make much difference anyway, aside from with Purifiers. All of the other units already get plenty enough range to be able to hit an enemy target.

Ment to also add usual Deny Range is 24", so getting Smite over that range moves us out of Deny range as well.

A second BC stacking would turn Libbies into 72" range 1d3 Mortal Wound blasters.  Which should be enough to cover the majority of the board.

You'd have to use LoS blocking to target anything other than the closest units though.  But could happily camp in your own DZ and blast away.

Question from the Agents subforum.

What happens if we try to Smite and the closest unit is a unit of Sisters of Silence or the Culexes Assassin?

Do we have to cast smite at them as they are the closest unit, which then simply fails as they can't be effected?

As they can't be targets by Psychic Powers, do they count as a unit for working out the closest unit?  Smite doesn't say 'closest eligible' unit, just closest.

Another one for the day 1 FAQ!

Psychic Locus doesn't stack FYI. It's obvious from the wording. 

In my first game, Mortal Wounds seem best at nuking characters and either softening up or finishing off a target. By itself, Smite spam won't win you games. 

With all of our special weapons being total trash, and even DK special weapons kinda meh, Mortal Wounds are our answer to strong invul saves or high Toughness.

You still want heavy weapons to back you up, no way you can deal with 8W+ targets efficiently otherwise (especially not in multiples). 

Haven't played into a Culexus yet. I'm thinking regular shooting and melee can still kill one, same for Sisters of Silence. 

Purifiers are total trash, 3" Smite or 6" is a joke, doesn't matter that isn't more powerful when they can't Teleport Strike, and Gate/transports won't put you into 3" or 6" range often. 

I dislike binary hard counters.

GW have a hard time balancing the game. Let alone with these.

TS dominate the psychic phase and are designed / costed as such.

Enemy adds in a couple of cheap units and shuts your entire army design down. With nothing you can do about it.

Hoorah!

More granuality please GW.

Reece from frontlinegaming has said that unless stated otherwise, buffs and debuffs are not cumulative. 

Would need an FAQ to be totally sure, but that's what he said. 

Doesn't need an FAQ. The wording on Psychic Locus is plural, its if you're in range of any Brother-Captains, you just get doubled Smite range. Can't stack because it doesn't care if its 1 or a million BC's. 

Eh I don't mind pariah's featuring more on the battlefield. They mean nothing to non-psykers, so its hardly game-breakingly good. 

Archived