First 8E Games: 7/9 Raptors VS GK

Nusquam

Major victory to RG. 8-3

I faced off against 3 dev squads in pods, 3 pred annihilators, lysander, a primaris lieutenant, sniper scouts, and a vindicare.

We played Deadlock. The one where we start at 6 objectives and have a decreasing amount each turn.

I got to choose deployment and chose Search and Desrtroy and pick a deployment that had 2 objectives in it and 2 within 9" of the edges. I also seized again somehow.

My first turn I whiffed my shooting and only did 2 wounds to one pred. But scored one point. My Raven went deep into his territory to grab another, but died to all his shooting. Had I not seized and he killed it before it moved I would have been able to deploy my stern, apoth, and dread near two objectives and just had my AMs and bikes rush up instead of hanging midfield. The contents came out and all but one stern died in that squad from grav cannons. The apoth and dread lived.

My turn two I got 7 points from a combination of holding #4 for two turns for 2VP, then needing to secure it for 1VP. Then a mission critical for #6 that he controlled with his scout that i stole for d3 rolling a 6 for 3 VP. Then another 1VP for securing #3 with my surviving stern.

Then he called it after his next turn. Seizing wouldn't have done much this time around because of my placement and mobility. What won it for me was a combination of quality objective draws(though I did have to spend 2CP to cycle out a psyker based one), high mobility, and choosing a deployment zone that greatly benefited me.

I bought the FW index for marines and theory crafted a new list:

Battalion

Lias Issodon

Primaris LT

Techmarin with beamer

Bike Apoth

3x10 Tacs - COmbi plas, plas, grav cannon

AMs - packs

Super Heavy D

Falchion

Fort

Void Shield Gen

Issodon grants rerolls to hit, LT reroll 1s to wound, and they buff the Falchion while all under the VSG for a 4++(And Tech for healing and more shooting). Of which will one-shot just about anything in the game; including Magnus, Knights, and Wraithknights in one turn.

Issodons special Master of Ambush grants 3 infantry units and himself "deepstrike". Which the Tacs will use. Apoth follows the AMs. I can combat squad as-needed.

It's not optimized but it is deadly. I'll tinker with it.

Just tried out Issodon for the first time. He was everything I had wanted.

We did Power 120

I brought:

• Issodon
  • Termi Libby
  • 2x10 Tacs with tooled up sarge, grav cannon, plasmagun
  • 1x5 Tac with tooled up sarge, plasmagun
  • 1x5 Helblasters
  • 1x3 Inceptors
  • Storm Eagle
  • Xiphon
  • Atrapos

My opponent brought

• Grimaldis
  • Cenobytes in a rhino
  • 2 maxed out crusader squads with neophytes
  • 1x10 crusader squad
  • 3 LRCs
  • Castigator

20170622_223900.jpg

Secure and control. He won the deployment roll and choose Front-line Assault. We deployed our objectives opposite corners. I put the 5 man tac and libby in the eagle, deployed it in the far corner next to my Xiphon and Atrapos. Everything else was in Shadows/Orbit(We're ignoring the Primaris keyword until they get transports when it comes to deploying/transporting them at the moment). That gave me first turn. He deployed everything on his objective and failed to seize.

My turn one chunked a LRC. I moved the Eagle and Xiphon forward with the knight.

His turn one he play conservatively, popped smoke on two LRCs. He brought my Eagle down to 11 wounds with the other LRC and Castigator.

My turn two Issodon, the Hellblasters, a 10man tac, and Issodon struck from the shadows while the Inceptors did a decent behind some barricades and they combined popped the wounded LRC and killed 9 out of the 10 crusaders in it. The last died to morale.

His turn two killed a few tacs and put a wound on a Hellblaster and a wound on my Atrapos.

My turn three I brought the Castigator down to one wound and Issodon finished it off with Malice.  My remaining Tac squad entered play on my objective. I left the wounded tacs forward and ran off with the Inceptors and Issodon to get distance from the LRCs. The Atrapos charged and did 24 wounds to the closest LRC. We called it here. I was initially terrified of the three LRCs but the mobility of the flyers and Master of Ambush allowed me to consolidate firewpower really well where it needed to be.

Issodon and the Inceptors worked exactly as I though they would; attack, withdraw, attack again. The would have been kiting anything punchy all game. I left the one tac squad as a speed bump. Being able to skip the pods to save points is great. It also offers fewer kill points for your opponent/first blood opportunities. Plus the sheer number of units you can reserve allows you to set up a buffer zone/speed bumps with expendable tacs.

The Atrapos got tougher, less scary shooting, but terrifying in CC. Granted we were technically using chaos knights until the Loyalist ones drop tomorrow. I would guess their weapons will be identical but their special rules will get shifted slightly.

Going forward I'm going to replace the Xiphon(It's pained RG anyway)

They did very well. They are effective laying down fire and offer a good shield for Issodon. Having multiple threats helped too thanks to Master of Ambush

Had another game against guard, 2k points this time, not enough for a xiphon so I took a vindicare instead. Maelstrom, Contact Lost, Spearhead Assault. Ended up calling it bottom of turn 3 in favor of me.

Issodons ability to reserve himself and 3 units won it for me. I was able to go first and alpha his baneblade to take it down to BS5. Then my Atrapos ran up to it and bonked it.

Granted had he choose hammer and anvil instead of spearhead assault and/or deployed his Baneblade last to avoid being so close to my atrapos it would have come down to the objectives we drew. He then would have had a buffer to keep me from getting close via ambushing through Issodon and been able to unload into the Atrapos for a turn or two.

Issodon, a 10man tac, and Inceptors got me first blood again. The dakka they lay down is immense. I've been on the fence about making one a 5man dev squad with four grav cannons. On the one hand its a much more potent damage but having 10 bodies to draw casualties from to stay on an objective has been great. A combi plas, plas, and gravcannon with 7 other bolters for ablative wounds seems better for this particular strategy in this edition.

Stormeagle and a Knight has been doing well. The Atrapos soaks fire with a 4++ and regen on a 5+ leaves the Eagle usually untouched. Then the contents get out and alpha. Being able to consolidate 3 units, tacs+HQ+Eagle, into one has helped go first as well. Plus the Eagle has quality firepower(I always give it 2xTLC).

Looks like he is defintely going to be worth taking. I might have to grab a squad of inceptors, as much as I dont like the models. Either that or find something else that can be as good at harrassment and death. I was planning on running Issadon near my predator squadron for constant annoyance purposes.

Did another Maelstrom against Templars. Brought a Typhon to try out, which is very deadly. Hopefully FW fixes the relic rule wording(I don't want to have to take a Knight or Guilleman just to take my Typhon). Objective 4 was the hotspot; we drew five different objectives between us to get it and it was in my zone. We called it due to time in my favor but it would have been close had we kept going.

Inceptors and Issodon are quality still. Tartaros and Issodon for moving 7" is pretty good too. Imperial marine was fun but nothing too crazy. Stormtalons are basically bigger speeders it feels like. Very fragile but good firepower. Issodons Master of ambush was the game winner here again too, dropping in near the Typhon to give it rerolls was horrifying. With his bodyguard of Tartaros and Inceptors they wrought a heavy toll on the black tide.

Also did one with Tyberos and Carcharodons. Tyberos is a one-man wrecking machine and S5 dual claw cataphractii will blend a lot of things.

Had another game against guard, 2k points this time, not enough for a xiphon so I took a vindicare instead. Maelstrom, Contact Lost, Spearhead Assault. Ended up calling it bottom of turn 3 in favor of me.

Issodons ability to reserve himself and 3 units won it for me. I was able to go first and alpha his baneblade to take it down to BS5. Then my Atrapos ran up to it and bonked it.

Granted had he choose hammer and anvil instead of spearhead assault and/or deployed his Baneblade last to avoid being so close to my atrapos it would have come down to the objectives we drew. He then would have had a buffer to keep me from getting close via ambushing through Issodon and been able to unload into the Atrapos for a turn or two.

Issodon, a 10man tac, and Inceptors got me first blood again. The dakka they lay down is immense. I've been on the fence about making one a 5man dev squad with four grav cannons. On the one hand its a much more potent damage but having 10 bodies to draw casualties from to stay on an objective has been great. A combi plas, plas, and gravcannon with 7 other bolters for ablative wounds seems better for this particular strategy in this edition.

Stormeagle and a Knight has been doing well. The Atrapos soaks fire with a 4++ and regen on a 5+ leaves the Eagle usually untouched. Then the contents get out and alpha. Being able to consolidate 3 units, tacs+HQ+Eagle, into one has helped go first as well. Plus the Eagle has quality firepower(I always give it 2xTLC).

Do you think running 10 man tac squads and dev squads in cover is a strong option for space marines?  Im want an infantry heavy list with no transports.  I was looking to have 20 tacs and 20 devs with some staying power and a drop pod+jump pack component.  I want a 2000 point list that is somewhat dense on scouts/tacs/devs/asms and light no vehicles.      

The new cover rules do make it hard. It would come down to your local terrain and its viability. Im fortunate to have a fair amount of terrain so I'm feeling the value.

Just had a 2k game against GK

My list, excuse the formatting:

Spearhead

• HQ
    • Lias Issodon
  • Elites
    • Apothecary
    • Imperial Space Marine
    • Tartaros Terminator Squad

Grenade harness

• Tartaros Sergeant

Chainfist, Plasma blaster

• Tartaros Terminator w/Chainfist

Chainfist, Combi-bolter

• Tartaros Terminator w/Heavy Weapon

Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

• 2x Tartaros Terminator w/Power fist

2x Combi-bolter, 2x Power fist

• Fast Attack
    • Inceptor Squad
      • 2x Inceptor

4x Assault bolter

• Inceptor Sergeant

2x Assault bolter

• Heavy Support
    • Devastator Squad

Armorium Cherub

• Space Marine Sergeant
      • Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

• Devastator Squad

Armorium Cherub

• 5x Space Marine
      • Space Marine Sergeant

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

Grav-cannon and grav-amp

• Devastator Squad

Armorium Cherub

• Space Marine Sergeant

Combi-plasma, Power sword

Plasma cannon

Plasma cannon

Plasma cannon

Plasma cannon

• Flyer
    • Stormtalon Gunship

Twin assault cannon, Two Lascannons

• Storm Eagle(Had to write this one in)

• 2 TLC, VL, THB

•  

VS

• Brother Captain(?)
  • Termi Apoth
  • Termi Libby
  • Termi Ancient
  • 3x5 GK Termi squads (1 was in reserve)
  • 2x Dread Knights (reserve)
  • 1x10 Interceptor (reserve)

Maelstrom, Spoils of War. He chose deployment, search and destroy.

Also according the the designers commentary, putting things into reserves counts as a deployment 'drop' despite it being the opposite in  the BRB so I'm curious if they'll add it into an FAQ or if its its own separate rules thing.

Talon and Eagle with the IM, Apoth, and 10man dev squad inside started on the table. Rest were in reserves. I got first turn from having 7 "drops", he failed to size.

My turn one I dropped everything in and killed his warlord, apoth, one termi squad, while bringing the other down to one model with one wound. I got FB, StW, and 5 points worth of cards. The game was pretty decided at that point. He got 5 points, I got one more for a total of 8-5 Raptors. We called it at the bottom of 4.

His army was too 'Elite' heavy. I could reach out and touch anything in his deployment. The grav devs were brutal. Signum+Cherub+Issodon is crazy. I took Plasma cannons to be able to drop far away and still have range. Which worked perfectly.

Inceptors still full of dakka. The Tartaros felt good, they were in a crater and held their own. Three did die to the TH of the one GK termi survivors though ha.

The Imperial Marine is a combination of adding a 10th unit to be able to reserve 5 and awkward points being left over. But he does like to kill termis.

Talon never got shot and the Eagle went down to 12W.

Overall flyers seem exceptionally strong. I'm considering cutting back on the 10man devs, dropping the apoth, putting them in a rhino with the IM and swapping the Eagle for a Fire Raptor. That or my list as-is is going to be my Tourney list going forward.

I have another game soon but that's going to be with my DE, going to proxy a Tantalus and try it out.

Good Job Nus,

as a GK player, i gotta say though, his list is sub-par. That being said, your list is quite violent and i do wish i have the chance to test my list against yours. Though i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Flyers are extremely good. There was talk of flyers not being that good because the -1 modifier was too little. My past few games have also proven otherwise. How did you find the Inceptors? Were they any good and what role would you use them for?

This was the 4th game iirc using the inceptors and they did well again. Their fire power is withering with rerolls to hit. Being at the worst, 5+ to wound in most circumstances with so many shots means they can threaten a lot. Plus the sheer volume always makes me feel better should i face hordes. Im really excited for the rumored snub nose plasma cannon variant.

This was the 4th game iirc using the inceptors and they did well again. Their fire power is withering with rerolls to hit. Being at the worst, 5+ to wound in most circumstances with so many shots means they can threaten a lot. Plus the sheer volume always makes me feel better should i face hordes. Im really excited for the rumored snub nose plasma cannon variant.

Hmm, i might have to try them out.

Perhaps if i use two squads...

And yeah i'm also looking forward to the Plasma wielding inceptors. Btw, as a side note, i got a chance to see photos of the plasma inceptors...i was excited by the guns, but i their helmets looked hideous.

Hmm, i might have to try them out.

Perhaps if i use two squads...

And yeah i'm also looking forward to the Plasma wielding inceptors. Btw, as a side note, i got a chance to see photos of the plasma inceptors...i was excited by the guns, but i their helmets looked hideous.

Oooooo the pics making the rumor mill runs or did you get lucky?