8th edition loadouts

Posted · Hidden by Valerian, June 5, 2017 - Ignored my nudge.
Hidden by Valerian, June 5, 2017 - Ignored my nudge.

There's no reference anywhere about paladins having those differences.

If you are referring to the product pictures of both units, the helmet difference can be explained by them just wanting to differentiate them a bit so they don't use the same picture, they also use a severed demon head on the paladin picture, must paladins models always have those too? They mix helmets on the same units inside the codex pictures (it would be absurd that a paladin just throws away his helmet and uses a different when he gets promote). Also, they use the minibanner on regular terminators too.

So you are just trying to be more strict that GW itself, which is absolutely ridiculous. Most play groups would not even care if you use different weapons than what's represented on the mini (as long as it can be identified easily, like all devastator weapons being the same one when every model is different).

Well, there are the pictures in the codex that show the what Paladins look like versus GKT.

SJ

So what do you guys think is a better shooting weapon for dreadknights now? I personally think they're best with fists and a teleporter and that's it...

But if I were to choose either a heavy psycannon or incinerator, which is best?

I'd say on average the amount of hits and wounds between the 2 are quite comparable.

They both do 2 damage. But the psycannon has greater range and strength, but hits less when the knight is wounded, where as the Flamer always hits. The Flamer is also actually more expensive amazingly...

Any math on this?

I like the Gat Psi and Hvy Psy. I think weight of fire is the way forward here and the Hvy Incin just doesnt do it for me with the random shots.

Also a hammer

While Dreadnoughts are good for GK, Razorbacks are better as heavy weapon platforms. More durable, cheaper, and pump out more shots.

Also, I seem to be the sole Stormraven cheerleader - they pump out a ridiculous amount of shooting now.

GK are terrible at the moment. Their best lists consistent of :-

Interceptors

Dual Autocannon Dreads

Twin Las Razors

Twin AssCan Razors

Stormravens with Twin AssCan, Twin Melta, Hurricane Bolters, Stormstrikes

Some Paladins with no special weapons (if you're feeling fruity)

A non GK Psyker HQ

I'd love for the US tournament organisers to explain their thinking when they where play testing GK

I haven't gone through the flyer rules but is skyfire still a thing? I know in 7th edition the lack of anti-air options was an issue for us, but now with only -1 To Hit for ground units shooting at flyers is it still such a concern? Also, does a zooming Stormraven shoot down other flyers at full BS, while having a -1 penalty against ground targets?

What ground unit loadouts would people recommend for keeping zooming flyers (is there still a -1 To Hit against flying MCs) having free reign over the board?

Edited by Waking Dreamer

Even if you autohit, flyers are still very resistant vehicles, they can mostly ignore flamers anyway. Also they move fast, you are not hitting them two turns in a row with flamers.

Just shoot them like any other vehicle, a -1 is not that bad, and they will have to hover often, as they can't leave the battlefield now.

I haven't gone through the flyer rules but is skyfire still a thing? I know in 7th edition the lack of anti-air options was an issue for us, but now with only -1 To Hit for ground units shooting at flyers is it still such a concern? Also, does a zooming Stormraven shoot down other flyers at full BS, while having a -1 penalty against ground targets?

What ground unit loadouts would people recommend for keeping zooming flyers (is there still a -1 To Hit against flying MCs) having free reign over the board?

Skyfire isn't a thing, as there are no more USRs, but there are certain units with an Ability that get a +1 to hit against models with the 'Fly' keyword, which would offset the -1 to hit penalty that certain flyers get with their Hard to Hit ability.  For example, Stalkers and Hunters (which are anti-air weapon platforms) and Stormhawk Interceptors get this.  So, there are definitely systems that are better at attacking flyers, but in 8e, they aren't then penalized for attacking ground targets instead.

How are you guys feeling about 5 man purgation squads with 4 psilencers? Only 8pts more than naked, isn't too bad really. Same strength and ap of storm bolters but many more shots even at half range. But D3 wounds each. -1 whilst moving of course though. But still lots of shots!

One of the strenghts of grey knights infantry is their versatility. Your whole army is very good at killing hordes because of their bolters, so by picking psylencers you are gaining nothing your army does not already have and loosing all versatility on the unit. Remember you give up a freaking psychic weapon and you pay extra points for the change. If you want medium range firepower pick some razorbacks or dreadnoughts.

Oh totally forgot about my Interceptor! Imperial Armour books are all being updated for release with 8th too yeah? I'll be picking one up from Forgeworld when I'm over there in a few months anyway, because I love the model!

If you love the model Id recommend getting one. It did pretty well with it's 8th edition rules transition. Only 5 points more from last edition but as mentioned, it has TWO twin lascannons now, tougher and more wounds (+1 for both) than a Stormtalon and it's Xiphon Missile Battery is 3 shots now albeit not as strong. With the new 360 shooting arc rules and its supersonic speed, it can pretty much strike at any target anywhere on the board - inflicting 33 wounds in one turn! Edited by Waking Dreamer

Rather surprised not to see the 2++ Librarian mentioned....

it's been mentioned elsewhere, and we're all in agreement that they will likely remove the option in our new codex, since nothing else has access to them, and there isn't actually a model for it.

Oh totally forgot about my Interceptor! Imperial Armour books are all being updated for release with 8th too yeah? I'll be picking one up from Forgeworld when I'm over there in a few months anyway, because I love the model!

If you love the model Id recommend getting one. It did pretty well with it's 8th edition rules transition. Only 5 points more from last edition but as mentioned, it has TWO twin lascannons now, tougher and more wounds (+1 for both) than a Stormhawk, and it's Xiphon Missile Battery is 3 shots now albeit not as strong. With the new 360 shooting arc rules and its supersonic speed, it can pretty much strike at any target anywhere on the board - inflicting 33 wounds in one turn!

Absolutely can't say no! It's on my forge world shopping list, and my wallet is giving me filthy looks :P that's what overtime is for though!

The storm shield+warding stave combo is hilarious, but I'd rather have Librarius powers TBH. All he does is chuck out Smite.

The Smite chucker might Deny upto 2 of the 3 powers the other Smite chuckers might chuck. I guess.

SJ

The Smite chucker might Deny upto 2 of the 3 powers the other Smite chuckers might chuck. I guess.

Still not worth while Psychic Focus is currently worded as is. He's 145 points base, you could get a Brother-Captain who does more and is still a capable melee fighter. 

Rather surprised not to see the 2++ Librarian mentioned....

it's been mentioned elsewhere, and we're all in agreement that they will likely remove the option in our new codex, since nothing else has access to them, and there isn't actually a model for it.

I'm still dreaming of either an upgrade sprue or a totally new unit that actually uses stormshields. Who knows with a new codex for each faction there is definitely potential for new units and with GKs having like three faction specific boxes (ignoring characters) I'm keeping my hopes up :happy.:

Can someone clarify for me how falchions work? Units are allowed to take two of them even though the codex entry says "may replace their force sword with *a* weapon from the GK melee weapons list"? And does taking two of them replace the storm bolter in their second hand, or do they get to keep it as well?

It seems like people have agreed that double falchions is pretty much optimal on all of our units instead of halberds/swords EXCEPT for hammers on paragons. 

Also, what do we think about giving an apothecary a hammer? He hits on a 2+ but I'm worried if I fail a revive it'll be a waste of a hammer while he's inactive for a turn. 

The melee item list is on the second page of the grey knights section. One of the items is a pair of falchions. So you replace your sword for a pair of falchions.

The entry in the points section is for a single one because some units can take just one and not a pair (ancients).

I think it is a waste to not put a hammer on anything with WS 2+ and more than 3 attacks, so yes, I would give a hammer on pretty much every character. Although I don't think the apotecary is really that good. He's only good with paladins and why make an already extremely durable and expensive unit even more expensive and durable? What they lack is mobility, not durability. They should be deep striking or be transported and engage the enemy as fast as possible and not footslogging and tanking. Save those apothecary points and use them to help pay for a transport or just buy something more useful.

Interesting, okay. Thanks for the help. The one thing is that on the Two Nemesis Falchions entry it says they can't be taken by an Apothecary, but nothing about an Ancient. Why can't the Ancient take them? 

The ancients can't take melee weapons because their datasheet does not give you that option. The only option for them is to take a falchion or take no melee weapon at all (so you will always take a falchion).

The reason for this is that nemesis weapons are supposed to be two handed except for the falchions, and the Ancients carry a standard, so it's impossible for them to use a two handed weapon. They can, however, wield a single falchion on the bolter hand. It's similar for the apothecary, because he has a narthecium on the left hand, so when he uses it, he has no place to put the left hand falchion, but he can use his narthecium while he holds another weapon on the right hand, and wield it when he's not using the narthecium