Raptors,Warp talons and Jump pack tactics!

Dardl

My guess is it's to stack an additional -1Ld aura. If you hit them with the raptors and the spawn, plus a character then they're at -6Ld. Does the Lord have Lord of Terror?

Spawn are beasts so they don't get legion traits. Only point in having lots of units of spawn is to hope your opponent wastes shots on overkill.

Spawn give an additional -1LD.

Warlord trait is Lord of Terror for sure. The beasts are there because they allow for a number of things

- they have an innate terrify bubble

- they are small single models that can hide

- they are fast attack slots so i can use an outrider detachment

- they are cheap enough so that i can get 8, along with the Heldrake, this allows me to drop the 3 raptors, 3 oblits, sorceror, chaos lord and warp talons

- they are deceptively good in close combat and objective grabbing

Problem with trying to fit cultists is that i need to use a battalion, which means an extra HQ. It won't achieve the same effect as this current list.

I was sitting there today thinking about whether it would be possible to run a night lords army compromised entirely of Raptors warp talons and jump hq's maybe even a flying daemon prince and still remain somewhat competitive. 

What do you think? 

@Dardl, you could probably run that yes, but you will need to spam the hell out of these units.

Basically your victory conditions will be board control. Don't overly be aggressive until you need to for controlling and objective and use the fast motion and deep strike to counter every fast moving unit out there.

It's more of a 'catch me if you can' list based on kiting/speed and deployment advantage.

Your standard unit should be a plasmagun Raptor for 5 guys, as it's got long range and good engagement profile to be used against a lot of stuff.

You can use that to be deployed first and delay your flamers/melta units until you know better where their preferred targets will be.

Talons/DP/Lord will be in a counter assault role for units getting close, rather than an aggressive shooting force.

So basically you want the guys to get close to you and stretch their army to create weak spots for audacious drops in their lines end of game.

You cannot go face with this list early on, just because the enemy army is likely to have more guns than you and will win early attrition.

You want small 5 men units as much as possible to take advantage of the NL trait, out deploy your opponent and have squads that are easy to hide behind the most minimalistic LOS blocking element.

Because you will be spamming one type of unit, prepare for heavy attrition though, so minimizing casualties is going to be key until you can set up a decisive action later on.

EDIT : You can try the dynamics of this list small scale at 500 points with the following list :

- JP Lord with dual LC

- 2 x 5 men Raptors with 1 Plasmagun

- 5 men Raptors with 1 Flamer

- 5 men Raptors with 1 Meltagub

That should be enough to simulate the dynamics of the list early on.

Edited by GreyCrow

Greycrow, that was more or less my thought process as well. 

If using raptors or warp talons its 1 unit or something for spot removal (as example in my black legion I run a single 5 man with trip-plasma for the first turn drop-and-pop for a decent price point. 

Or you spam the ever-living heck out of them with tons of 5 man units dropping down over the course of a couple turns, only ways i could see it working regularly against normal opponents. "target saturation" I would imagine being the only way of it working well. 

Id also imagine large units of cultists for objective holding, and several tanks / walkers for other various roles. 

Yeah definitely!

Some support in the form of different units would not go unnoticed, but I guess this is workable.

I did run some lists like this in 7th for fun and they would work pretty efficiently as long as it was not ultra competitive.

For 8th, I think they can work even better due to the change in meta.

Target saturation and spam is going to be critical yeah for such a list. And there will be losses. A lot of them !

thanks for the advice guys I may try do this! 

If you wanted to go down a aggressive attack route do you think a tide of chaos spawn would compliment the list? 

It would be very distracting to say the least...

Aggressive attack means that you have to be able to inflict damage (heavily) Turn 1.

So Havocs, long range guns, Predators, Helbrutes etc.

Spawns rushing the lines are actually good at distracting, throwaway units for the points!