8th Ed BA Tactica.

Morticon

Guys...

LOVING the positivity here! We're already finding the GOODSTUFFTM that is only avaialble to us and the rules aren't even out yet :wink:

I'm totally loving the banner bearers, some real classic BA imagery in them. Captains are now useful which is cool.

Meltacide is alive, it's just a shame mine are not painted as Veterans... :|

Can anyone confirm if double hand flamers is still a valid option for Vanguard Vets (or whatever they are now)... If so they got cheaper I think :biggrin.:

I ran out of like today, but yeah … reading here is sooo much more fun (than in other chapters subforums) despite all changes and nerfs.

So, feel liked! Thanks a lot! This makes me wonder if I should better make a Blood Angels Army of my unbuilt 120 once intended to be Space Wolves Minis. :happy.:

So I think death co can take 2 chainswords by trading in their pistol. That would mean they get 5 attacks each on the charge, right? (Split one base attack into each sword, for 2 bonus attacks, +1 from black rage). Meaning effectively they would have 4 attacks base. I'm fine trading my pistol for that.

I'm not sure you can, it seems to say you can only swap bolt pistol for boltgun, hand flamer, Inferno pistol, Plasma pistol, or power weapon, but not another chainsword. Definitely think Plasma pistol chainsword combo is the way to go, deep strike in, unleash some Plasma on a tougher unit then go for the charge on something weaker and use the extra chainsword attack to butcher some troops
Odd. So vanguard vets are a little cheaper, and can swap their pistol for another sword, so they'll have 4 attacks, and death co will only have 4 when they charge. So, unless you really want to keep your pistol, I think vanguard might be a better option in small units. If going heavy with lemartes/etc, death co Are probably better in large numbers. Edited by durdle-durdle

So I think death co can take 2 chainswords by trading in their pistol. That would mean they get 5 attacks each on the charge, right? (Split one base attack into each sword, for 2 bonus attacks, +1 from black rage). Meaning effectively they would have 4 attacks base. I'm fine trading my pistol for that.

I'm not sure you can, it seems to say you can only swap bolt pistol for boltgun, hand flamer, Inferno pistol, Plasma pistol, or power weapon, but not another chainsword. Definitely think Plasma pistol chainsword combo is the way to go, deep strike in, unleash some Plasma on a tougher unit then go for the charge on something weaker and use the extra chainsword attack to butcher some troops
Odd. So vanguard vets are a little cheaper, and can swap their pistol for another sword, so they'll have 4 attacks, and death co will only have 4 when they charge. So, unless you really want to keep your pistol, I think vanguard might be a better option in small units. If going heavy with lemartes/etc, death co Are probably better in large numbers.

That is weird, Death Co should definitely be able to take 2 melee weapons to tear things apart in cc.

Do you have a link / image for the vanguard vets datasheet, and the company vets at all?

They can take two melee weapons, but the wording of the wargear options precludes a second chainsword from being taken (the bolt pistol can only be upgraded for - melee wise - a power axe, fist, maul or sword).

m4wHS1W.jpg

EqkL0A8.png

Our company vets can also take jump packs, though they're not listed.

Edited by Taeknologik

Regarding the dual chainsword thing -  i posted previously that you choose your weapon to attack with and then attack, so 2 chainswords would not benefit. 

Hoooooowever, if you have at leat 2 attacks, and then if you choose at least 1 attack with CS1 and then the rest with CS2, you would by RAW get an additional 2 attacks.  

The real issue remains that its unlikely to get any units with options for 2 chanswords. 

I had a great game this evening against wolves and thought I'd share a few things I noticed.

Synergy is key for blood angels this edition and you can get a lot of units in a 6" bubble effect.

Mephiston is back and he kicks serious but, when he gets into combat even without buffs hitting on 2s generally wounding on 2s with very good rend and d3 damage. On top of that his psychic powers were really good for my combat style.

Corbulo- had a bad day for me and could not keep up with everyone else so didn't manage to buff units like I'm sure he could.

The sanguinor gave me over 20 extra attacks with his buff which was insane and I think he's going to be a staple in my army.

I don't think the bettalion detachment is worth the troop tax in the current rules, the ability to take more elites in the other detacment make the army look way more of a force than the command benefits give.

Command points/benefits are good fun but not essential for your army, there didn't seem to be a great difference between 4 my oponant had or six I had considering the amount of threats he had over me by only taking one troop choice to my three.

Edited by Morticon
edited for grammar.

Regarding the dual chainsword thing -  i posted previously that you choose your weapon to attack with and then attack, so 2 chainswords would not benefit. 

Hoooooowever, if you have at leat 2 attacks, and then if you choose at least 1 attack with CS1 and then the rest with CS2, you would by RAW get an additional 2 attacks.  

The real issue remains that its unlikely to get any units with options for 2 chanswords. 

I thought it was unlikely, but the Melee Weapons list does include chainsword.

unknown.png

I don't know why my post earlier did not go through, it was talking about the swinging gate tactic.

In theory, we line our assault squad up horizontally in preparation to assault and swing around the unit in such away that we close off their flank in a way to keep the entire unit from being able to disengage, leaving them in prolonged combat. I see it working extremely well with our jump infantry, as they can fly and reposition into the perfect position to close off any disengage retreat.

I'm curious how people feel about Furioso and Death Company dreads. If I understand the new rules they can't take drop pods. How would you deploy them now, with what loadouts, and do you like one more than the other?

I'm curious how people feel about Furioso and Death Company dreads. If I understand the new rules they can't take drop pods. How would you deploy them now, with what loadouts, and do you like one more than the other?

Stormravens and (I assume/hope) Dreadnought Drop Pods from FW for delivery.

Are the FW Lucius pods still on sale? I can't for the life of me find any more on their website. 

Any thoughts on storm raven loadouts? Is the hurricane bolter worth the points? Rapid fire is nice, but you'll get some BS penalties if you're abusing the ravens movement like you should. Lascannon, typhoon launcher just still doesn't seem worth it; if you need a long range tank killer, there are cheaper ways to get it without losing the storm of close range fire the raven can bring.

Do plasma cannons have a place?

Unfortunately not. The Lucius pod mold broke several years ago and they haven't replaced it since. No statement that they are going to replace it.

Edited by cerberus_

Are the FW Lucius pods still on sale? I can't for the life of me find any more on their website.

I've always be a fan of the fragioso but the tactics for that will have to change now that we can't drop pod it right next to a unit and get full use of frag canon and heavy flamer. Even if we get dred drop pods they still won't Land in range of the enemy. So now I'm thinking once dred drop pods are a thing that DC dreds are the way to go, drop in near Lemartes for the charge re-roll, and 6 inch consolidation could see it tearing through unit after unit.

Reckon anyone will care about using normal drop pods as dred drop pods when they do come out? Got a bunch of these that I can't see getting any use now, seems a shame to shelf them and buy slightly different ones...

Any thoughts on storm raven loadouts? Is the hurricane bolter worth the points? Rapid fire is nice, but you'll get some BS penalties if you're abusing the ravens movement like you should. Lascannon, typhoon launcher just still doesn't seem worth it; if you need a long range tank killer, there are cheaper ways to get it without losing the storm of close range fire the raven can bring.

Do plasma cannons have a place?

Unfortunately not. The Lucius pod mold broke several years ago and they haven't replaced it since. No statement that they are going to replace it.

I think Potms negates the -1 to hit penalty for the storm raven. I plan on hurricane bolsters, asscan, and either multi melta or typhoon missle launcher in mine

Edited by Brother Lemartes

I'm still irritated by the lack of meta-guns on my assault squads so I decided to send GW a quick email...

"Hello

I’ve just been looking though the Blood Angels rules in the preview copy of the Imperium Index at my local Games Workshop and I notice that Blood Angels Assault squads now have the same weapon options as standard marines, i.e. they cannot take melta-guns. 

Is this an oversight? I (and most other BA players) have made extensive use of melta-guns in my assault squads and I now cannot use these models. As well as losing the unique flavour of BA assault squads, I now have lots of painted models that are no longer legal with this new edition -  whereas your FAQ leads me to believe that all models in 7th edition would still be valid in 8th edition.

Please could you clarify?"

Has anyone else fed this back - maybe if they get lots of feedback they can change it?

G

Heya Gumo, 2 things-  

1.  This is something likely to be changed when individual codecies are released.

2.  This isn't a tactica question.

Keep the comments relevant to questions or comments on new tactica.  

Thanks.  

Watching the Frontline Gaming QnA for 8th right now. They just said BA are a premier assault army in 8th just like in the fluff. Specifically, they said jump packs are great and that our HQ aura buffs are great and work well together. Frankie? said a BA friend of his texted him saying DC are terrible now and he laughed saying DC can kill most things in one round of combat.... I'm liking what I'm hearing...

Sounds like we really want to make the most of our aura buffs and utilize our mobility with jump packs on assault units..

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Watching the Frontline Gaming QnA for 8th right now. They just said BA are a premier assault army in 8th just like in the fluff. Specifically, they said jump packs are great and that our HQ aura buffs are great and work well together. Frankie? said a BA friend of his texted him saying DC are terrible now and he laughed saying DC can kill most things in one round of combat.... I'm liking what I'm hearing...

Sounds like we really want to make the most of our aura buffs and utilize our mobility with jump packs on assault units..

DC need to charge and need Astorath nearby, or Lemartes. 

Then, they get 4 attacks each (non-special weapon DC, otherwise 3) and reroll hits. But, I dont buy the "kill most things in a round of combat".  Maybe need to invest in some cheap power weapons (Since they are cheap!) - and then....but...ya. Theyre pricey, lost 5+ FNP (now 6+) which makes them super weak. 

Also, after play today- seeing how quickly infantry go down....im not convinced. 

Armour modifiers are BRUTAL, and there is little to no cover recourse. 

Yeah, he was definitely exaggerating a bit, but I guess if they are kitted out correctly, have the right HQs nearby, and get the charge, they may be pretty great still. 

They implied at least twice that our assault squads are scary in CC now too with the right buffs, but I don't really see how... They also made it sound like we have a lot more aura buffs compared to most (space marines at least) and need to stack them to make us work properly especially in CC. 

Unless you're looking at playing a AoE-buff army, fighty furiosos and DC dreads are sadly underpowered compared to both Venerables and more importantly Iron Clads. 

The difference between T7 and T8 within the realms of this game given that very little is S9 or above, is actually HUGE. Sadly, both our fighty dread units (in fact, the libby too- only he has bonuses cause he cant be targeted) are overcosted in comparison :( 

Unless you're looking at a fun fraggynaught - i say stick to the Iron Clad for the same points.  Much, much better. 

But our Dreadnought get benefits from our character buffs where the ironclad won't. A corbulo can give the +1 attack to units, but feel no pain and+1 strength are to infantry. Also, lobby Dreadnought can benefit from powers, or our Dreadnought can benefit from our powers. The teleportation of Space Marine power is good, but 4+ invulnerable is better in most cases.

Remember though, Corbs doesnt grant FNP anymore- only revives a dead model.  He does give a strength boost, though. 

Also, Venerable Dread has the same "FNP" as a DC dread - so no net gain there. AND hits on 2s for combat. 

The, the Iron Clad has +1 attack from two CCWs - and most importantly has T8 - not to mention the fact he does d3 mortal wounds on the charge. 

To be frank, the BA buffs are not worth it in comparison to the points. 

So i'd like to give you guys some feedback from my two games today. This will be quite the wall of text:

I played against Grey Knights and Deathguard at 2k points. This is what I've taken from the experience.

- Baal Predator was never bad (twin AC and 2 HBs). It made my opponents roll and fail many times.

- Corbulo is an incredible HQ choice for only 94pts. His buffing is amazing.

- The grey knights were ALL in my face turn 1 and dread knights seem supremely undercosted now. I lost all my 
Sanguinary guard in the first turn of shooting. Dedicated transports feel more important than ever. It also made me question the nerf to drop pods even more.

- Death company did well with Corbulo, Lemartes and Unleash rage. As you'd expect really. My thoughts is to NOT run them with jump packs to make them more affordable, and then have them in storm ravens.

- Tactical squads feel really really bad right now. They put out very little hurt and die very easily.

- ATSKNF seems really bad in general. Normally, if a unit suffers battle shock, its usually because many people died. A reroll of a d6 does NOT help you in that situation.

-Scout snipers are LEGIT. The additional mortal wounds on 6s really helped. Right now I think these should be our go-to units to fulfill cheap troop choices.

-Storm ravens with Libby dreads look to be strong. I fielded my raven in its most expensive configuration today and it still did just fine.

-Deathguard are definitely as resilient as they are made out to be. The pox walkers are insanely frustrating and tarpit units like no-ones business.

-Powerfists feel like a must in every squad you can put one in.

- Terminators teleporting into terrain is horrible. There is no risk to them doing it anymore and have a 2+ with a +1 buffer is nasty.

-Paladins are the real deal now.....yikes....

Edited by CrimsonExarch