Astra Militarium: Regiments Project

Hey everyone - some of you may know me from the design / illustration work I've done over in my 30k threads, in which case, this thread will be in a similar vein, but for 40k.

This will be a series of concept sketches & homebrew rules to expand upon & develop the 40k Imperial Guard regiments we're all familiar with. The easiest example of the approach I'm gonna take draws from the Armageddon Codex from way back in 3rd Edition: while the Steel Legion are relatively well-known, other local regiments like the Hive Militia, Ash Waste Storm Troopers and Ork Hunters were all listed as local Armageddon regiments which participated in the conflict.

In this way, I'll be taking the existing background for regiments and developing them into a number of separate regiments based off the existing background, which will eventually each have rules in the form of a unit (or two) that can be fielded within an Astra Militarum detachment from the same world.

For example, I'll make some homebrew rules for bonuses Armageddon <Regiment> units will get (at the moment, it looks like a bonus to morale against ork units & disembarking from transports), and they'll then get access to Ash Waste Grenadier (Storm Trooper / Veteran hybrids), Ork Hunter (Veteran / Special Weapon squad hybrids) and Hive Militia (Conscript analogues) units.

This all probably sounds a bit complex at the minute, so I'll start off with the first couple of concept sketches: Armageddon Steel Legion & Armageddon Ash waste Grenadiers (I dropped the Storm Trooper part due to their new organisation):

gallery_53779_13198_408409.jpg

gallery_53779_13198_53252.jpg

gallery_53779_13198_306306.jpg

Rules will probably be a while off as I get to grip with 8th, but I'm currently working on the concepts for the Ork Hunters & Hive Militia.

This thread will almost certainly spiral out into vehicle designs, as they're a big staple of mine - one currently in the works is the "Pegasus Heavy Airborne Conveyor" which is proving to be a lot of fun.

Anyway, hope you find this interesting, thanks for looking

Love this! I really want to see more.

This looks like a really cool project. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Dallo

Thanks guys, hopefully this'll be a pretty fun project, and gives me the chance to branch out from 30k-centric stuff, as well as providing a fun opportunity to explore the organisation of different Regiments

After the Ork Hunters & Hive Militia, I'll be taking a look at the Valhallans

Looking good, very nice sketching.

Thanks dude, I did spend a while pondering what degree of quality I wanted these sketches to be, and I think this style balances sufficient detail to showcase what a model might look like, while still being quick enough for me to churn them out at a decent pace

IHF doing Guard? This is definitely worth watching. thumbsup.gif

Thanks Olis, I'm trying to use this to get a grip on the new rules system for 8th, so I can port some of my Heresy-era Legion vehicles over to 40k in 'relic' form

Speaking of which, here's my first attempt at designing a profile - the power system is a real help at avoiding the minutia of determining point scores, and I've taken a big guess with regard to how subfaction keywords might work, so let me know how balanced / appropriate you think they are.

gallery_53779_13198_15545.png

gallery_53779_13198_13681.png

Yup, having issues with the reply showing a fully formatted table, but it evaporating upon posting - I might need to screencap the table & upload it as an image confused.gif

Edit: Fixed with screencap until I can figure out the particular issue with posting the table

Looks great! Excited to see more from this project.

The one nitpick I would have is with how you've structured the regimental special rules. 8th edition uses keywords as triggers for special rules, but almost never as special rules themselves (with the exceptions of CHARACTER and FLY). With how you've written it, it looks like taking the ARMAGEDDON keyword has both a Matched Play point cost and a set of associated special rules, which is not how the Indexes have been doing things.

A different idea might be how the Inquisition handles the different Ordos. Give every <REGIMENT> unit a special ability called Regimental Doctrine. This special rule is triggered by a particular <REGIMENT> keyword, and references a table of bonuses.

For your example here, the table would have an entry for ARMAGEDDON, giving armies with that keyword the Armoured Fist special rule. In this case, I would personally only apply the War World bonus to units like the Grenadiers that are specifically only from Armageddon. Regiments that aren't specifically called out on the table can select from it, allowing you to customize if you wish.

Perhaps add a limiter similar to Canticles of the Omnissiah, where you must have a homogenous <REGIMENT> detachment in order to receive the bonus.

To give an example of what I mean:

Regimental Doctrine: Units with this ability gain a bonus that related to the specialty of the world from which they were drawn. If the unit has a <REGIMENT> keyword that is listed on the table below, it gains the listed bonus. If they have a <REGIMENT> keyword that is not listed, they may select any bonus from the table. 

If you have a Battle-forged army, units only receive the bonus if every model in their Detachment has this ability.

CADIAN: You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 when firing lasguns.

CATACHAN: You may add +1 to your hit rolls during the Fight phase.

etc.

Very cool sketches, I'm looking forward to see what else comes out of this project! Keep up the good work!

Thanks dude, currently on the books are Tallarn, Valhallan, Vostroyan, Mordian, Catchan, Salvar & Drookian Regiments

Although it will almost certainly be another in a long list of projects that I leave unfinished due to over-ambitious goals! Yay!

Well this is all just superb! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks smile.png

Looks great! Excited to see more from this project.

The one nitpick I would have is with how you've structured the regimental special rules. 8th edition uses keywords as triggers for special rules, but almost never as special rules themselves (with the exceptions of CHARACTER and FLY). With how you've written it, it looks like taking the ARMAGEDDON keyword has both a Matched Play point cost and a set of associated special rules, which is not how the Indexes have been doing things.

A different idea might be how the Inquisition handles the different Ordos. Give every <REGIMENT> unit a special ability called Regimental Doctrine. This special rule is triggered by a particular <REGIMENT> keyword, and references a table of bonuses.

For your example here, the table would have an entry for ARMAGEDDON, giving armies with that keyword the Armoured Fist special rule. In this case, I would personally only apply the War World bonus to units like the Grenadiers that are specifically only from Armageddon. Regiments that aren't specifically called out on the table can select from it, allowing you to customize if you wish.

Perhaps add a limiter similar to Canticles of the Omnissiah, where you must have a homogenous <REGIMENT> detachment in order to receive the bonus.

To give an example of what I mean:

Regimental Doctrine: Units with this ability gain a bonus that related to the specialty of the world from which they were drawn. If the unit has a <REGIMENT> keyword that is listed on the table below, it gains the listed bonus. If they have a <REGIMENT> keyword that is not listed, they may select any bonus from the table.

If you have a Battle-forged army, units only receive the bonus if every model in their Detachment has this ability.

CADIAN: You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 when firing lasguns.

CATACHAN: You may add +1 to your hit rolls during the Fight phase.

etc.

Thanks for all the feedback, but in all honesty, I'm probably just gonna stop writing rules until we get more detail on how GW are gonna approach sub-factions in the upcoming codexes

Writing rules is time consuming, and I have way more fun just sketching tbh happy.png

Archived