Newb question about psykers in 8th.

So it looks like we aren't allowed to take Librarians with the black templar faction keyword in 8th. To me that seems like it leaves it open to take psyker inquisitors, or a librarian as a detachment of a different chapter.

How do you guys feel about psyker inquisitors in a black templar army? I don't really like it for fluff reasons, but how else do we defend against psychic powers? Or do we just Deny the Witch with chainswords and flamers as is tradition?

Btw I'm a total newb and havent played my first game yet so I might be missing something

According to the old codex no psykers outside the grey knights are allowed. However the newer space marines codices, which were lucky enough to get rolled in the BT codex, softened that up to other Chapters are okay. So if you like witches.... BURN! ;)

Jokes aside, do what you like. I stick to no psykers outside the inquisition, which i dont have any models of. Nothing else. Maybe i would find myself willing to make exemptions for really large apoc games, but there would be desperate allies-style restrictions and immediate charge and challenge, should the witch dare to step to close to my knights. Just don't paint a Librarian in BT livery. Never. :P

So it looks like we aren't allowed to take Librarians with the black templar faction keyword in 8th. To me that seems like it leaves it open to take psyker inquisitors, or a librarian as a detachment of a different chapter.

How do you guys feel about psyker inquisitors in a black templar army? I don't really like it for fluff reasons, but how else do we defend against psychic powers? Or do we just Deny the Witch with chainswords and flamers as is tradition?

Btw I'm a total newb and havent played my first game yet so I might be missing something

You can include a psyker with the <Imperium>  keyword in your army, its heresy but you can do it and the only you'd be losing is access to more specific stratagems which arent here yet so as of now you can mix and match any Imperium unit without losing anything, unless I missed something but we're all newbs to 8th!.

How do we defend against psykers? With sword and fire! Dont worry too much about psykers because they wont be doing that much very often since there are way more restrictions and the powers are toned down a bit.

Vindicare Assassin... or a Culexus... those are my best methods of dealing with Psykers regardless of the edition...

Although I do have a psyker Inquisitor, but he's tainted by Chaos and he doesn't use his powers and keeps it hidden in the presence of the Templars... he's going to betray them anyway and side with the ruinous powers... ;)

Can't trust a witch...

I miss the null rod blocking the owner and his unit from being hit with powers because that's how I'd take a psyker inquisitor if I ever did. (Never ended up doing that but it was an option)

In the end bring some assassin's or just take out everything between you and the character and take them down.

Shoot the witch to kill it. Such filth does not deserve the honor of facing a Templar in close combat, and the threat they pose must be dealt with immediately.

Stab/slash/smash the witch with the weapon of your choice, to double-check it's dead. You can never be too careful when dealing with mutants.

Stomp on the witch's skull until it bursts beneath your feet, to triple-check. Again, you can never be too careful.

Burn the mutant's foul remains to erase all trace of its existence, to quadruple-check. Your weapons, your armor, and your person must be bathed in holy water after the battle, to ensure you yourself will not be tainted.

Black Templars armories are full of weapons named "Hexenbane" for the witches they ended.

Now, now, now, ChaplainMatthias is new in our forums, so polite responses to an honest question are in order. <ahem>

BURN THEM ALL! EVERY SINGLE WITCH YOU FIND, NO MATTER WHERE THEY MAY BE HIDING. LEAVE NO CORNER OF THE GALAXY TAINTED WITH THEIR FILTHY WAYS. STAB THEIR ASHES AND GRIND THEM INTO THE GROUND WHEN YOUR BLADE HAS BECOME TOO DULL TO DESECRATE THEIR REMAINS.

LET NOTHING PREVENT YOU FROM ENGAGING IN THIS MOST HOLY PURSUIT.

You should have kept the Red Letters behind a spoiler caption for effect :p

So... nope... with the Primaris Marines after reading regarding about them and finding out that there are Primaris Psykers... and apparently Cawl wants them to be the staple Primaris Marines to be "less susceptible" to Chaos...

aren't psykers more susceptible to the taint of the warp, not resistant to it?

Roujakis, exactly! Thats why I never understood grey knights. They all witches and none of them have ever fallen? Please. If you want demon hunters, go for Exorcists. Now they have the right idea. Still heretical from a BT perspective, but at least they end up more resistant and abhorrent to daemons. I don't trust the grey knights. I don't care what our fluff says

Grey Knights are the exception to the rule.  They're a very, very special breed of psyker, the singular exception.  Exorcists have been possessed, and there's nothing to clean that taint from their souls! :P

But yes, a psyker is far more dangerous as a risk for corruption than a 'normal' person.  That excuse they are using is ass backwards.  For all his tinkering, Cawl is apparently appallingly ignorant :teehee:

You should have kept the Red Letters behind a spoiler caption for effect :p

The Black Templars are not the treacherous agents of the Inquisition. They have no need to hide their motivations, or to deceive their own allies regarding their true goals. They can always be trusted to do right by the Emperor.

In short, TO HELL WITH SPOILERS! A TRUE TEMPLAR WILL NOT RUN OR HIDE!

If you're willing to bring allies a Culexis Assassin is a nice way to muck with the witch, as ar Sisters of Silence as they are witch proof, albiet souless abominations, and have some bonuses against witchery (they can also immediately tell if somen weighs as much as a duck just by sight alone). I'd recommend Sisters of Battle for their improved Condemnor Boltgun (basically a bolter with a crossbow for killing witches attached to it) but sadly that'll cost you more money than building an army of Templars and using the kits for all the models.

Like, a lot more. Like, how many kidneys can you sell and still live more (answer: not enough).

If you prefer to break from Crusader squad tradition then the Scout Neophyte Sniper Squad is an option. Tough if you go his route, give them crossbows or something so they at least feel like they could be in a crusade. And I mean a real Crusade that isn't smurfing around the galaxy to win hearts and minds like some glorified PR stunt.

Alternatively you could try getting creative in how you drop the hammer on the Witch. Perhaps a Sternguard Sword Brethren unit with Special Issue Bolters (range 30", Rapid Fire 1, AP-2 bolters) in a drop pod to slam down as close as possible to the witch innquestion and unload into rapid fire range to murder his hethen soul.

Basically, there are plenty of options, you just need to find the one that fits you and your crusade.

I thought the leak went back to the original fluff that states we don't keep Scout companies? Can we still take Scouts for some weird reason?

Much like in 7th and 6th, from a pure rule point of view we CAN take scout squads, but the fluff does specify that we don't.

I'm thinking of bringing a single Non-Psyker inquisitor, Maybe two acolytes, as a detachment. Anti psyker beatsticks, etc. Thoughts on that? I'm about fluffy armies.

I really should look into Inquisitors. I know literally nothing about their rules. I wonder if the old Eisenhorn mini can fill in here?

I thought the leak went back to the original fluff that states we don't keep Scout companies? Can we still take Scouts for some weird reason?

Scout Squads are still a legal choice, as are Tact squads.

Not how I'd run them, but if you want to use tem, go ahead I guess.

Archived