You a systems engineer mort? Great analysis

High school Geo teacher :tongue.: hahahah

That's awesome. It makes sense, considering how thorough and educating your analysis is.

I can totally see you in front of a class with your analysis on the chalkboard.

Hidden Content

<sitting on desk with ruler on lap> "So...who can tell me which dreadnought would be best for fighting a daemon prince? Yes, Timmy?"

"The Regular Dreadnought?"

"Wrong. Todd?"

"Umm....Guilliman?"

"No, Todd, Guiliman is not a dreadnought (yet). Go report to detention again" <under breath> you little :cuss "Anyone else? Janey?"

"The Contempor?"

"And why do you think that, Janey?"

"Because the 5++ means it may survive?"

"Very good! It looks like at least one scholar in here did the reading. Now, for next class, be sure to study up on the probability of AP values."

Sounds like we sorta got some shaft here with our dreads?

Sounds like BA in general got the shaft during this transition. They copy+pasted us into 8th in all the wrong ways it seems.

I still can't process just how off Dante is. He's not bad....but considering what he does not do, especially compared to how Calgar, Grimnar, Azrael, Helbrecht, Seth, and Draigo were ported....it's absolutely mind boggling.

I don't have Facebook, but I think it will be really important to bring these issues (and any others) up on their Facebook page as much as possible

I don't either, very frustrating that FB is the only place for feedback... I totally agree though!

Yup. It's looking like the rifleman and lascannon dread are solid picks this edition. Maybe even a backfield venerable twin las + missile launcher or autocannon.

The assault cannon/storm bolter also seems good again, but suffers from the -1 to hit on the cannon. 

Any thoughts on the twin (or triple) heavy flamer, twin heavy bolter, or heavy plasma cannon?

There is a TLLC in the Dreadnought box. For Autocannons, it's a trip to FW.

Unless it's changed in the past few years, Dreadnought box is an assault cannon, TLLC, powerfist (SB & HF) and missile launcher.

Venerable box has a plasma cannon, powerfist and something else.

An expensive trip to FW...if BA don't get access to Mortis Dreadnoughts (non-Contemptor) I might be chopping up my pair of lascannon arms to make autocannon ones.

An expensive trip to FW...if BA don't get access to Mortis Dreadnoughts (non-Contemptor) I might be chopping up my pair of lascannon arms to make autocannon ones.

Supposedly the FW autocannon arms are kinda poop quality too. I've seen reference to using the quad autocannon from the aegis defence line - looks like this, I think:

http://i43.tinypic.com/1o13js.jpg

I'm also tempted by this from poland - it comes in parts, and the cannons can be flipped to be dread arms - half the price of forgeworld!

Flak_Cannon_1.jpg

Can normal dreads take two TLLCs or 2 auto cannons? Or is that what the Mortis is for?

normal dreads can take one dread heavy weapon (which includes twin auto and twin LC); and the other can be missile launcher or twin auto. Since you can split fire easily now, you could also mix twin LC and twin AC.

Edited by Arkhanist

Hm. Maybe I got a bit excited about building autocannons, I could just play them as lascannon/autocannon Dreads.

I would still like to use them as Mortis Dreads for that Skyfire equivalent.

I've seen reference to using the quad autocannon from the aegis defence line - looks like this, I think:

Hidden Content
http://i43.tinypic.com/1o13js.jpg

Hey, that's one of mine! :biggrin.: And those are indeed the Aegis Defence Line quad cannons; they're a very easy conversion.

Unless it's changed in the past few years, Dreadnought box is an assault cannon, TLLC, powerfist (SB & HF) and missile launcher.

Venerable box has a plasma cannon, powerfist and something else.

Doesn't one of them come with a multi melta option? I know the venerable box also comes with an assault cannon.

What's worse is you are much better off taking the Fists anyway because of the reroll.

I also really prefer the fix 3 damage instead of d6. Even while 3.5 is the expected result of 1d6, it's still a pretty big range of results. If I want to kill something I'd like to be sure to actually deal damage once the wound got through and not see that damn 1 get rolled. :P

What's worse is you are much better off taking the Fists anyway because of the reroll.

I also really prefer the fix 3 damage instead of d6. Even while 3.5 is the expected result of 1d6, it's still a pretty big range of results. If I want to kill something I'd like to be sure to actually deal damage once the wound got through and not see that damn 1 get rolled. :P
The 3 is nice but what gets me is that talons are more expensive!

Someone at GW playtesting really doesn't seem to understand the concept of expected damage and prices talons based solely on max damage not reliable damage.

Edit:

I should note that a blood talon dread radically out performs a furioso fist dread if you're also able to buff it via psyker powers, Dante, Tycho, or anything else.

Edited by Fidelius Animo

I also really prefer the fix 3 damage instead of d6. Even while 3.5 is the expected result of 1d6, it's still a pretty big range of results. If I want to kill something I'd like to be sure to actually deal damage once the wound got through and not see that damn 1 get rolled. :tongue.:
The 3 is nice but what gets me is that talons are more expensive!

Someone at GW playtesting really doesn't seem to understand the concept of expected damage and prices talons based solely on max damage not reliable damage.

Edit:

I should note that a blood talon dread radically out performs a furioso fist dread if you're also able to buff it via psyker powers, Dante, Tycho, or anything else.

How does it outperform?