One redeeming point about the Librarian dread is possible warlord traits. It would make quite a durable warlord and if it gets either +1 attack or the "6+ FnP" its quite fighty or durable.

I don´t know if Mort included the grapples in his comparisons, but +2M compared to the other dreads and 2" extra charge range vs vehicles is quite the advantage. Especially now that I guess we will see more vehicles of all kinds on the battlefield.

The magna grapple is not something I considered - though the extra movement and charge range is certainly a plus.  

The 6+ "FNP" is a bit of a misnomer I feel.  I think it's largely useless. If it worked like old FNP, then much better.  But, with how Meph, DC and the DC dread work now (in fact, how all "FNP" works now, is that you roll it for your wounds.  So, if a dread takes a lascannon hit, and it wounds - you dont take 1x 6+ FNP. 

You wait for him to d6 the damage, and then roll that many 6+ saves.  

It's cute. But something that, were I a game designer, wouldnt factor into cost for more than 5 points. 

Regarding the "6+ FnP" on single wound models I completely agree. It is worse when hit by weapons that inflict more than one wound. 

On a model with 8 wounds it is slightly more reliable, not great, but before you die you will have rolled atleast 8 times to negate the wound. Now there are certain situations where the "old"  FnP would have been better. Lets say you are clinging onto your last wound and then get wounded by a weapon causing d6 (or more) wounds. With the old "FnP" you would have 1/6 chance to save your model, and with the new system its much lower.

Then again the warlord trait does not cost any points. And with or without this trai, a character dread makes a durable warlord. It might be less mobile then a character with JP. And unless FW release the lucius pod, the dread won´t "deep strike". As other characters the libby dread can embark on a raven to be transported to the front lines. If transported by a raven I would also consider the +1A when charging trait.

I´ll have a testgame this week with my "dreads and ravens" list. It is an adaption of 7th ed´s archangel´s fury spearhead force. I cant fit in as many models as it did in 7th, but the 3 dreads I used in the list are much more durable. And the best of all: none of the dreads will be immobilized by a penetrating hit :-D

• 3 weeks later...

The 6 plus FNP is better than i expected, considering the DC dread may attempt to do 8 times and instant death is removed.

Having built in re-roll hits and fixed 3 dmg is also amazing. You can really get a reliable outcome against most multi wound targets - so it's easier to plan your turn. If you put him in a stormraven that has infantry model he will pretty much never die from crash and burn. Since you do one roll per model, but you can choose who dies from any units embarked insde (You don't have to pick from within a specific a unit)

Anyone had experience with the dreads on the table yet?

I'll be making one with fixed loadother soon and want to know what to give it!

I have read a few battle reports that have included the las/ac dread and give it huge thumbs up!

The DC Dread with Furioso Fists is also getting decent reviews as long as you deliver it in a Storm Raven.

Edited by Aothaine

We had a game this week with a walkerheavy BA list vs an unusual Ynari lis twith lots of harlies. (Not sure if these guys loose or gain when they swap rising crecendo for soul burst). This game the 8" move on our dreads was awesome. It  put the fragioso with HF in range often (advanced into range once, the rest was reached with normal movement) and let the DC dread with heavy flamers have a field day. But truth be told any dread with multiple "flamerlike weapons" would have done good. 

Anyone had experience with the dreads on the table yet?

I'll be making one with fixed loadother soon and want to know what to give it!

I have read a few battle reports that have included the las/ac dread and give it huge thumbs up!

The DC Dread with Furioso Fists is also getting decent reviews as long as you deliver it in a Storm Raven.

The 153s are amazing. Standard dread with dual-las/auto. Fantastic workhorse of a unit.  Goes down quickly though, but nice that it doesnt degrade.  Complete nonsense that we're restricted from getting the venerable variety -but...meh. Whatever. <_<

The Furioso/DC I havent bothered with - for the simple reason I think the Iron Clad is a better option - even the Ven with a fist is a competitive choice.

If you're wanting to use a fighty dread, either go Lucius Pod or a Raven - and if you're not using BA characters to buff the raven, or carrying BA specific units in the Raven, then go the Iron Clad. 

I ran the dc dread last game which was built for 7th so has talons

8in move with an advance roll makes for a quick dread. He was able to catch celestine off guard and rip right through her and her gemini things in one round of combat. I rolled really well for damage though which could have gone the other way i guess

I'm not sure about if he was worth his points. Upwards of 200 for a fully kitted out dread is a lot.

My opponent was blown away by his performance so he was targeted by 5 lascannons then next shooting phase so maybe he works as a distraction? Not sure

I'll definitely be running a few more games with him just so see how he fares

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone care to run the numbers for the Redemptor Dreadnought?

No idea about numbers, but I have tried it several times. The Gatling variant is more reliable if you have enough anti-tank in your army. A pure Primaris army struggles with tanks though, so the Plasma variant is more effective, even though it requires more maintenance and is probably slightly less efficient, because it is subject to statistical outliers (read: you can get screwed by low-rolls far more often than with the Gatling). I have written a small essay on Primaris and their units here.

When it comes to the model, totally worth it. Amazing to build, loads of movable parts and the main weapon does not need to be glued and has bits to make them interchangeable by design. Get one. It is a good model on the board and an amazing one to look at. The belly and legs look far better in reality.