How to Model Rough Riders

Any advice on Legs?

I'm trying to use only GW parts (I don't know why, the challenge perhaps!) so what do people do when they get a non Guard mount like Cold Ones or the Sisters of the Thorn Stags I've gone for, but want to use Guardsman legs?

Currently I've snipped the legs of, out some greenstuff on  and reattached the legs at an angle and they look, fine. I'm going to add some accessories like pistol holsters and grenades to cover up the Green Stuff and a coat of paint will help I'm sure. Just wondering if I've missed an obvious trick?

Also lances. I looked at Skitarri Ironstrider Taser Lances which would be great, if a bit long, but just can't find enough of them online. Empire state trooper spear tips and some kind of rod? Any suggestions on what that rod should be (something from a hardware store?)? Anything from Forgeworld people have come across?

A few years back (when I first started 40k), I kit bashed a scout bike and scout biker legs, a cadian torso, and a fantasy Lance to build a test rough rider. Once painted the slightly oversized legs were less noticeable, but I dropped the project as the cost per guy was still a bit high for me then.

I wish I had kept it/kept pics. It probably works out cheaper than some options like forgeworld, but using warlord games bits or AoS stuff is more in scale and cheaper.

To answer my own question about potential Lances, because I've found a couple of beauties.

Forgeworld Secutarii Hoplite Arms look really good, but you have to but a whole upgrade kit to get them for £23.50. You get some other good stuff as well mind you. Also Resin (blegh...)

Skitarii Infiltrator Taser Goads look spot on to me. Cheap and readily available on bitz sites, should be about the right size and all you would need to do is chop the hand off whatever arm you fancy. I've just ordered 10 and as promised pictures will be on the way as soon as the models look half reasonable.

There is always the Badger option:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/SquatWIP66_zpsgd0l75pn.jpg

Available here:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs/product/dwarf-berserker-brock-riders-regiment-10-figures.html

Space Camels are known to me smaller than Earth Camels though, so it's fine!

They look great by the way.

That makes me giggle way more than it should.  Yes, a very well known fact. :)  And thank you.

Yes, Ruminahui's wonderful camels have inspired me to paint up a squad of Tallarn space camels someday.

Aww, geees, thanks.  That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  I look forward to seeing them when you do.

Camelus Astra*

Now all we need is a Interstellar Geographic documentary on the life cycle of the wild space camel. :)

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

There was s guy in the Loria campaign we did recently, I think his name was "Cap'm Heckus" or something. He had pretty badass praetorian rough riders made from empire outriders. Glorious. They are still pictured there I'm sure. They are also in his gallery or even the link in my signature below for some reason. Darn it, what was his name....

Hmm... I do often quote Zapp Brannigan and that could put an interesting spin of the squad's personality.

"A valid question. We know nothing about their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this: they stand for everything we dont stand for. Also they told me you guys look like dorks!"

"THEY look like dorks!"

Whenever my Scions arrive on the field I always imagine they've been dumped out of a spaceship by their insane commander.

"As you know, they key to victory is the element of surprise"

<pushes button>

"Surprise!"

Oh, and something something Rough Riders something to stay on topic ;)

Rough Riders, yes!

For my particular vision of Riugh Riders, the Empire Outrider set worked perfectly. The leg armor that comes with them worked well with the cadian chests. I even used some of the cloaks and other bits. I painted the armor around their hips to just look like an extension of their cadian jackets and it looked fine.

If you were looking for something less armored then Victoria's Rider legs (mentioned above I believe) might be a good bet.

If you can find them, the old (old) Kislevite mounted archers from WHFB had compatable metal legs but 1 in 3 had a quiver or bow molded. Otherwise they were just baggy slacks with non-descript boots in a rider pose. Worked with either Cadian or catachan torsos. At this point however it'd probably be easier to order from VLamb.

I have also seen people do catachan riders using the WHFB marauder horseman, but I'm not a fan.

If you can find them, the old (old) Kislevite mounted archers from WHFB had compatable metal legs but 1 in 3 had a quiver or bow molded. Otherwise they were just baggy slacks with non-descript boots in a rider pose. Worked with either Cadian or catachan torsos. At this point however it'd probably be easier to order from VLamb.

That's what I did with my camel riders (pictures above), back in the day you could actually order individual bits from GW.  They work really well with Cadian torsos, but as noted probably aren't available now.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

NatBrannigan - I like that; is that a Mechanicus Taser Goad?

My own Rough Riders are Tallarn RR metals on Lizardman Cold Ones with GS saddles and various accoutrements to make them look a little less WFBy and a little more Guard. They look pretty sweet to be fair and fit in nicely with the rest of my army. Pics later as I can't get to my photobucket while I'm at work...

That is indeed a Taser Goad, they work really well I think.

The rest is standard Cadian Legs (chopped up an greenstuffed back on to fit on the saddle), Scion Torsos and Scion arms. I wish I had used normal Cadian arms to emphasise the breast plates but I think they look pretty good.

Some of the guys don't look particularly stable granted, in fact if the models started moving the riders would all be thrown off and impaled on the Stags Antlers... But this is a squadron of Cavalry that will be up sneaking round behind and charging genetically enhanced super soldiers, Space Elves and Green Humanoid Mushrooms so who needs realism!

I think I've seen your Rough Riders somewhere Gen Steiner? Remember them looking particularly bad-ass but I wanted something I hadn't seen before, so Stag Rough Riders...

Yeh, I've got a plog over on Warseer that has the pics in so you might've seen 'em there (or possibly on Dakka Dakka). One day I might even start one here.

The stags are great, and the scion parts make them look nice and up-armoured and 'knightly' as it were. Very Celtic myth IN SPAAAAAAAAACE, which is in itself very 40K.