How to Model Rough Riders

HackedDuck - generally speaking historical miniatures are a lot smaller than GW's Heroic 28mm (closer to 30mm really) but mounted models will be less noticeably different in size. Warlord Games' stuff is closer in size to the 2nd Edition metals made by the Perry Twins than the modern plastic Cadians.

I'd forgotten about the LotR stuff. Yes, their models are smaller - true 28mm - and in line with historical wargames company offerings (particularly the Perry Miniatures stuff; same sculptors!) but if you're looking for exotic mounts and GW compatible then that is an excellent source with a bit of conversion. I'd err towards things like the wargs rather than the horses; they may look a bit small under, say, a plastic Cadian.

Isn't there some rubbish where you're not "allowed" to mix LOTR stuff with Fantasy or 40k because of licencing laws? So using LOTR models in a 40k game in a GW store might be frowned upon as much as using third party stuff?

I'd hate to meet the GW employee who actually enforces that rule, but then my local manager just says my Praetorian heads are all lovingly crafted from Greenstuff with a wink and a nod. Of course that might just be to stop me bringing my morbid sack of Cadian heads along as proof I could have used them...

Hahahahahaha oh wow that's a funny image. "Here's my bag of heads."

It used to be the case that New Line Cinema was pretty hot on ensuring that the LOTR stuff couldn't be used with the WFB stuff, which is why the figures are true 28mm rather than heroic. I doubt you'd be able to find an employee nowadays who a) knows that or b ) cares.

So... hobbit ratlings? If Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin had had access to sniper rifles, it would have been a very different book indeed!

There are some good mount options there for 40k Rough Riders then, I do worry they'll look to small. More like Mules than Horses.

Gen Steiner, very generous but I just ordered a load on Bitzbox. Curses... I went for the Motorbike bases as well rather than the old fantasy square Cav bases, hope they look ok. I'm hoping that I shouldn't have gone for whatever base the DKOK cavalry are on? 40 or 60mm round bases?

Cpt Reaper, those will look amazing. The Dark elf Cold Ones are some of my favourite models. I'm going to pick some up at some point but to use as Saurus cavalry since the Lizardmen Cold Ones are really dopey looking... I said earlier but if the Elf version are Jurassic Park Raptors, the Lizardmen version are Dino from the Flintstones!

Yeah, if I end up making any more Rough Riders I'll be using the Dark Elf ones - the big chunky death lizards were a pain in the bum to put riders on and they look very slow and cumbersome... but also look like they can hit like a ton of bricks (with claws)!

As far as the bases go, mine are all on the motorbike bases. I don't think it really matters what they're on - rectangular cavalry, oval motorbike, or 40mm round.

I looked at the Hoplite arms but expensive and resin... My lances are Skitarii Infiltrator Taser Goads, attached to whatever arm you please. £0.40 a pop on bitzbox.co.uk and I think they look the part. Really easy to use as well. Just lop a hand off whatever arm you'll be using and glue this on in it's place.

Hey thought some people might be interested in this.

It's a work in progress and done on a 3D printer currently.

Follow the links for more info.

https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaMiniatures/

19598991_1194895163880277_97980786555432

I think it looks great.

Between those earlier pics in this thread seems Guardsmen will be showing much diversity in their Rough Rider regiments.

We've seen Dino Riders, Motorbikes, Stags, Ostriches, Armoured Horsies, Some alien/tyranid rider even Badgers and Camels!

Probably others too, can't remember all lol.