How to Model Rough Riders

• 1 month later...

Why those mechanical steeds look like horses? I mean why do they have a 'head' on a long neck? The machine do not need to reach the ground for food. It is a machine, it doesn't eat like horses. They could put a ramm, an armor plate or a weapon mounting there. It would be better even if the left the space empty which would provide better observation and a good swinging arc for melee weapons. I know, i know... Rule of a cool ®™ and 'don't apply you RL-logic to my Wahammah 40K' ©. OK. Sure. But still if your troops are from this advanced industrial world, why not take enduro bikes? Or maybe some headless bipedal mechanical steeds like, if i recall correctly, in Star Wars. Still just an opinion of a man who doesn't like the idea of cavalry vs tanks battle.

Edited by Shamansky

To slightly derail the topic. In the BRB there is an image of rough riders with armoured mounts and respirators ...

Is this old art or a sign of things to come...? ;)

Ps they're not DKoK they're more Atillan in looks

Edited by duz_

Back when I first started Guard (we're talking 2000-01), I remember getting a hold of some second-hand Ellyrian Reavers and bodging them with metal Cadians and plastic Catachans to make some unholy franken-riders...I wish I had pictures of them to show them.  Kept everything from the Reavers from the waist down plus the horses, then added cadian torsos and heads with a mix of catachan detail parts (lasguns/pouches) and the lance arms from the reavers...they had gaps everywhere (I was 13 at the time and knew nothing about Green Stuff), but I loved them.

As an aside, everyone here mentions that they use third party parts for their Riders..anyone had an issue with using the conversions in an official GW setting?  

To slightly derail the topic. In the BRB there is an image of rough riders with armoured mounts and respirators ...

Is this old art or a sign of things to come...? :wink:

Ps they're not DKoK they're more Atillan in looks

I chalked it up to really cool art, but who knows?   If they are willing to keep them around in the upcoming codex, maybe there is a redesign in the future?  

Edited by Henimann