Advice for expanding my army into 8th?

Sea-People

With all of this new information and how units work now I'm a little unsure how I should expand my Deathwatch with the new edition. Here's what I've got so far.

Watch Captain Artemis

Watch Captain w/ bolt pistol & xenophase blade

Librarian with force stave/axe/sword & bolt pistol

1 Dreadnought, any configuration

6 frag cannon veterans

4 shotgun veterans

5 stalker bolter veterans

15 veterans with boltgun & close combat weapons (most of these can be re-painted into power swords or chopped off and swapped)

3 veterans with no arms attached, awaiting options lol

1 Terminator with power fist & cyclone missile launcher

4 rhinos, 3 of which can be razorbacks of any type

5 drop pods wallbash.gif facepalm.png

1 callidus assassin.

So what I used to do was just drop pod frag cannon spam at 1500 points in 7th. I'm looking to make an 1850 list to start 8th and go from there. I've got plenty of bits to kit out squads with pretty much any special or combi weapons I want. Do you guys have any advice for what I should pick up for 8th? I'm open to including any imperium faction, but I'd prefer Deathwatch.

You have enough Veterans, but it never hurts to get more for different options.

The thing we lack is still range, so if you don't want to stray out of DW you can consider using your existing Razorbacks as cheap armoured tanks that can double as transports. Twin-HB is only 82 points and Twin-Las is 115. I opted to try a Predator, but if you're trying to get the most for your points, then spamming Razorbacks is better. A predator with AC+2 HB is 171, so for about the same price you get just as many guns, but twice the models/wounds + transport in Razorbacks. Just note that the number you can take is limited to the number of units you have.

Combis, as you noted. Even if in the future they say we can't use SIA with them, they are still great weapons.

I would also see how things play out with storm shields in the future. I haven't written off Vanguards just yet; if we get SS for 5 or 10 points, then they are going to be an excellent harass unit with their deepstrike and 12" move.

If you decide to take a melee unit, then Corvus would be the best delivery method if you can fit the points cost.

I think 1-2 corvus blackstars will be a good addition for deathwatch.  They are SOOOO good now, lots of firepower, can transport any of the kill teams, so on and so forth.

I found that the watch captain was super clutch for his points.  Rerolling all hits(including in close combat!!) can be a huge make or break point.

I am currently planning a list around two DW kill teams in Corvus Blackstars.  Have one carry a watch master and the other an inquisitor or sometihng along those lines.

Really wish we got access to apothecaries and techmarines however......hope they come out with a plastic kit for those soon so we can take them. 

I think 1-2 corvus blackstars will be a good addition for deathwatch.  They are SOOOO good now, lots of firepower, can transport any of the kill teams, so on and so forth.

Yeah either a corvus or a land raider will most likely be my next purchase. Corvus because they have gotten SO much better as you said. But a land raider is tough as nails and is probably my favorite vehicle in all of 40k. Plus I could use it for both Deathwatch and Vanilla Marines. I'm torn! XD

Yeah either a corvus or a land raider will most likely be my next purchase. Corvus because they have gotten SO much better as you said. But a land raider is tough as nails and is probably my favorite vehicle in all of 40k. Plus I could use it for both Deathwatch and Vanilla Marines. I'm torn! XD

Yeah, I have two land raiders but I bought all the bits so I can make it as any of the variants(woo magnets).

No blackstars though.  And I really like those models, it makes me think of starship troopers only with more guns. 

I found that the watch captain was super clutch for his points.  Rerolling all hits(including in close combat!!) can be a huge make or break point.

I am currently planning a list around two DW kill teams in Corvus Blackstars.  Have one carry a watch master and the other an inquisitor or sometihng along those lines.

Really wish we got access to apothecaries and techmarines however......hope they come out with a plastic kit for those soon so we can take them. 

We could still get ourselves a generic apothecary/techmarine though. They won't have SIA, but they should at least be able to do their jobs, right? 

We could still get ourselves a generic apothecary/techmarine though. They won't have SIA, but they should at least be able to do their jobs, right?

I checked, Apothecary and Techmaries only work on their <Chapter>. Since they are not on our chapter list, they can't fix Deathwatch

FWIW, "repair" based abilities are pretty crappy in AoS.  Given the mechanics aren't radically different, I can't see them being much good for 40k 8th, either.  That doesn't help the fact that we simply don't have access to them (RAW), but maybe it'll soften the blow somewhat?  :)

FWIW, "repair" based abilities are pretty crappy in AoS. Given the mechanics aren't radically different, I can't see them being much good for 40k 8th, either. That doesn't help the fact that we simply don't have access to them (RAW), but maybe it'll soften the blow somewhat? smile.png

Its slightly different in that our characters have more protections than they do in age of sigmar, so only taking a few wounds is more likely to happen

I checked, Apothecary and Techmaries only work on their <Chapter>. Since they are not on our chapter list, they can't fix Deathwatch

I dunno about that. The way I see it, they can still heal/rez a friendly unit, but it cannot get Special Issue Ammo.

Either way, I was hoping it would be the case but if not, I think I can live with it for the time being. 

One thing I did notice that would be the most synergistic is a Dark Angel Librarian (on a bike). The DA Psykers are offensive only, no buffs, so you want him up front.

Mindworm: charge value: 6, Range 12"

taget receivers mortal wound, must attack in the fight phase last.

Aversion: Charge value 6, range 24"

Opponent -1 to hit

Engulfing Fear: Charge Value 6, range 6" of psyker

while within 6" of Psyker, target must roll 2 dice on morale and take the lowest result.

One thing I did notice that would be the most synergistic is a Dark Angel Librarian (on a bike). The DA Psykers are offensive only, no buffs, so you want him up front.

Mindworm: charge value: 6, Range 12"

taget receivers mortal wound, must attack in the fight phase last.

Aversion: Charge value 6, range 24"

Opponent -1 to hit

Engulfing Fear: Charge Value 6, range 6" of psyker

while within 6" of Psyker, target must roll 2 dice on morale and take the lowest result.

Hmmm.... I don't have a Librarian on a bike anymore (sold it to a friend), but I do have a Dark Angels Librarian on foot that would most certainly take advantage of this. :)

Archived