Tactics and musings for 8th edition

Daimhin

Now that 8th edition is more than "hopes and dreams", I figured it's about time we have a topic for any thoughts for new tactics or things to consider in the new world order.

I'll kick off.

I'm considering if there's a synergy in taking 2 5-woman Dominion squads, one with 4 melta/flamer and one with 5 storm bolters, and a rhino. Can then start both squads in the rhino, vanguard move to an objective, start of turn one dump the storm bolter squad on the objective (hopefully in cover) then advance the rhino with the remaining squad to threaten in turn two.

Would definitely save points now that transport costs have gone up dramatically.

My personal preference is still to have pure squads that do one job and do it well. 

Even though the Rhino is cheaper than an immo, 77 points to 103 points for a flamer immo, I'd rather have the flamer immo for dominions.

I like the Idea of having a 5 girl dominion squad with 4 melta and a combi-melta in a flamer immo for 240 points.

vanguard move and advance the immo, disembark the troops, move and advance both units, let rip with 5 melta and the immolation flamer. 

----

Another option would be to have a few squads of seraphim start on the table with imagifiers deployed next to them. Double move 24 inches and let rip with the pistols then potentially turn 1 charge. Back it up with big C and it's going to be a brutal turn 1. 

---

A squad of repentia, imagifier(for AoF double move/double attack), canoness (for reroll 1s to hit) and priest(+1 attack). Maybe throw in a mistress of repentance (reroll charges)  and if you're serious celestine (5+ SoF and AoF). The cost is quiet high considering the amount you'd pay in characters to make the unit 'good', they'd still have a rubbish save, the unit + characters wouldn't all fit in 1 rhino and would be fairly easy to pick off one or two characters to neuter the unit's synergy buffs.

Edited by Drider

I think Repentia are pretty brutal for a counter-charge unit. Stick 'em in a Rhino in cover and use them to smash face when the baddies get to combat. Back them up with a Penitent Engine or two and you've got either a solid assault block or a scary area denial group.

"Sure, you could try and take this objective, but it's held by Repentia and covered by this Penitent Engine and this one..."

Just a thought. Counter to their usual use, but might be worth exploring.

Another option would be to have a few squads of seraphim start on the table with imagifiers deployed next to them. Double move 24 inches and let rip with the pistols then potentially turn 1 charge. Back it up with big C and it's going to be a brutal turn 1. 

I think this has some merit, but don't forget you can "deep strike" without risk to within 9" (albeit outside hand flamer and inferno pistol range). It might be that a combination of these would work well.

Drider, on 05 Jun 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

A squad of repentia, imagifier(for AoF double move/double attack), canoness (for reroll 1s to hit) and priest(+1 attack). Maybe throw in a mistress of repentance (reroll charges)  and if you're serious celestine (5+ SoF and AoF). The cost is quiet high considering the amount you'd pay in characters to make the unit 'good', they'd still have a rubbish save, the unit + characters wouldn't all fit in 1 rhino and would be fairly easy to pick off one or two characters to neuter the unit's synergy buffs.

That's too many points tied up into something that I don't think has the survivability and manoeuvrability to reliably make a "profit" each game.

I have no idea if it's worth the points, but I'll be throwing my Evicerator Canoness in a Rhino with 8 Celestians and a Priest. I'll deploy an Imagifier behind them so they can move up 12" before the game starts, maybe even get a first turn charge :D

And Seraphim, just in general. I'm sad to loose the 20 Sister blob squad, but I'll still probably do a blob of 15 often enough.

My own Canoness (with eviscerator and inferno pistol) will be in her twin-flamer Immolator with what was her Command Squad and is now an MSU of Celestians.

Always done that, always will, no problems. :P

Footslog and shoot twice with Bolters, or shoot twice with Exorcists (still under debate! But playable until FAQd) and HB retributors seem like a viable tactic.

3-4 Imagifiers handing out Acts on the backline.

Just noticed that a Canoness can legally be armed with a boltgun (by replacing bolt pistol) and either a combi-bolter, Condemnor or Storm bolter (by replacing its chainsword). Useful for a gun line since you can now fire every non-pistol you're equipped with.

Just noticed that a Canoness can legally be armed with a boltgun ... and ... a combi-bolter ...

Neato. But given that we haven't seen this pattern canonised in any artwork or fluff I'd wouldn't expect it to remain viable in the next iteration of the list. So, convert with the understanding that you'll get one iteration of play out of the model.

That sword may be holy, but it ain't a powerword, just a fancy looking but rather ordinary, profileless, melee implement. The kind that shows up in the core rules for figures that don't have another weapon specified.:wink: :happy.:

a firing line deta

Spearhead detachment.
2x Canoness
2x Imagifier
2x Rets, HBs
3x Exorcist

820 points

Putting a Canoness and Imagifiers between the Exos and the Rets infront of the characters to add more dakka and tank wounds.

A nice little fire base giving you re-roll ones to hit on everything and 2x 50/50 chance of double shooting the Rets.

And if you really want to get crazy, if an exorcist fluffs it's D6 shots on like a 1 or a 2 spend a command point and reroll it.

It's really hard for me to come up with tactics until the imagifier thing has been solved.

If imagifiers work how they've been written then 2-4 is pretty much mandatory no matter how you build your army.

If they only ever can affect units that have the actual AoF rule then you'd take 1 in most lists and then another one for every Multi-Melta Retributor squad or 20 on foot infantry models. Penitent engines become a lot more attractive at that point I guess but transports and exorcists fall off pretty hard.

If they only ever can affect units that have the actual AoF rule then you'd take 1 in most lists and then another one for every Multi-Melta Retributor squad or 20 on foot infantry models. Penitent engines become a lot more attractive at that point I guess but transports and exorcists fall off pretty hard.

I think you can only have 15-woman squads these days, no?

I think you can only have 15-woman squads these days, no?

Thus requiring at least 2 squads for an imagifier to be worth the investment.

It's really hard for me to come up with tactics until the imagifier thing has been solved.

I'm just going to assume that they only work on units that already have AoF until it's confirmed otherwise. I think doing it the other way around is bordering on the wrong side of being 'that guy'. Same with Big C not being unique.

I'm just going to assume that they only work on units that already have AoF until it's confirmed otherwise. I think doing it the other way around is bordering on the wrong side of being 'that guy'. Same with Big C not being unique.

I just watched the Q&A Frankie and Reece put out and they confirm there that AoFs don't work on Vehicles. 

18 minutes in. They also said that frankie took a single imagifier for 3 total AoFs and that full mech was how they built.

Ah, nuts. That's a pain in the arse, but OK. Still makes the Battle Sisters pretty potent; especially stuff like double-tapping heavy bolter squads - 24 shots from a heavy bolter Retributor unit, say.