Tactics and musings for 8th edition

Daimhin

Question for this forum: After 20 games of 8th (I need a life), I am creating my new Order. However, I have had amazing success with my plasma boys as well. Combined with some unique models, and I was wondering if this forum accepted Orders that are highly unorthodox (due to lore and the demands of decades, they are a mix of Sisters, Tempestus, and Marines)?

Interestingly, Flamer overwatch can be circumvented by charging at least 9" away (outside the flamer range) and praying huahuahua

Vehicles can overwatch now too, yes?

Yeah, the vehicle can overwatch, the guys inside can't. Also, outranging the charge is why the immolation flamer is SOOOO much better than just 2 flamers.

I think Drider took care of the whole 'repressor overwatch' thing pretty well but for Noeh, 'firing ports' is a special rule the thing has, there's no such thing as firing points anymore so it doesn't automatically just work like it did when they did exist and Brightstar permission by omission only accounts for overwatch if the unit inside is being declared as a charge target, since there aren't any rules that deal with a unit firing while in a transport except the special rule on the datasheet.

Combined with some unique models, and I was wondering if this forum accepted Orders that are highly unorthodox (due to lore and the demands of decades, they are a mix of Sisters, Tempestus, and Marines)?

It has happened - the Vinculus crusade for instance was a combined force of sisters, templars, and inquisitorial assets.

Question for this forum: After 20 games of 8th (I need a life), I am creating my new Order. However, I have had amazing success with my plasma boys as well. Combined with some unique models, and I was wondering if this forum accepted Orders that are highly unorthodox (due to lore and the demands of decades, they are a mix of Sisters, Tempestus, and Marines)?

My order is a bunch of misfit abandoned imperial defence force women that took over a planetary system...So um..have at it!

Well, you could have your army represent an Order that works closely with marines, say, during a Crusade, but an Order would never actually contain anyone besides Sisters, if you're following the codex fluff.

Well, you could have your army represent an Order that works closely with marines, say, during a Crusade, but an Order would never actually contain anyone besides Sisters, if you're following the codex fluff.

This.

Your army can be made up how you like. My Oder regularly fights alongside a Black Templar Crusade, for example. However, your Order can only include women. Not even priests are members of an Order.

I mean, I guess it *can* include men. Just at some point expect one of our Orders to turn up to purge the heresy

Query, if people are finding stormbolters to be very useful, would it make sense to fill a Dominion squad or 2 with stormbolters and use them , with an Immolator, to thin out armies and have the Seraphim go tank and big enemy hunting with inferno pistols?

Also, has anyone tried the Basic Sisters? would 3 storm bolters at minimum squad size to hold objectives work?

They're just footslogging. I'm experimenting with a Battalion Detachment so it made sense to have some fairly cheap Troops that could make their way up the field while still putting out a fairly respectable amount of fire. It certainly might be worth considering sticking them both in a single Rhino in the future if things don't work out so well.

I think adding a couple more ablative wounds might be worthwhile, but then you won't fit two squads in a Rhino if necessary. On the other hand I suppose it depends on how mobile the rest of your army is.

Weapons vary by army.

Guard pays less for almost everything.

Sisters have more expensive storm bolters, but better hand flamers.

Depends which book you buy the storm bolters from...

May see some changes going forwards. Actually it would be nice to see the strength-based pricing policy for x2 strength melee weapons applied to the sisters and inquisition.

With hand flamers i'd find it hard to see their value at only d3 shots, at the given cost. It's not a lot of return on the points.

Weapons vary by army.

Guard pays less for almost everything.

Sisters have more expensive storm bolters, but better hand flamers.

Depends which book you buy the storm bolters from...

May see some changes going forwards. Actually it would be nice to see the strength-based pricing policy for x2 strength melee weapons applied to the sisters and inquisition.

With hand flamers i'd find it hard to see their value at only d3 shots, at the given cost. It's not a lot of return on the points.

Forgeworld has never had the most consistent point costs.

I'm only playing 500 points Sir Gaea, so im playing on a smaller table. But so far I have been running 2 squads 5xdoms with 5 storm bolters on foot. The extra move makes up for lack of transport and they put out alot of fire. I'm trying 8xBss in a rhinio, with 3 Stormbolters next time i play, just to see the difference.

I'm trying 8xBss in a rhinio, with 3 Stormbolters next time i play, just to see the difference.

If you have the rules it'd be interesting to see how the full repressor works in that scenario in place of the rhino.